E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > BMW Confirms plans for "zero-emissions" vehicle

06-16-2008, 02:29 PM   #1
Mark
Administrator
Rep
Drives: 1M

Garage List
BMW Confirms plans for "zero-emissions" vehicle

In March BMW announced that it would establish a new research division called ‘Project i,’ whose task will be to develop a number of solutions for a vehicle designed for congested city motoring. The goal of Project i was never to exclusively develop one type of vehicle or another, but to come up with a range of technologies BMW could introduce across its fleet or even under a rumored fourth brand (the first three being BMW, Mini and Rolls-Royce).

Project i will run independently to BMW and has been given until the middle of the next decade to develop a concrete solution for the city car. Speaking with Automotive News Europe, BMW Group representative for environmental protection and sustainability Herbert Höltschl confirmed that BMW wants to eventually produce a zero-emissions vehicle, but explained that Project i has also been tasked with coming up with innovative production techniques that reduce energy and water usage.

Höltschl also revealed that BMW’s future city car will be developed for global consumption, but stressed that its technology will be advanced enough to maintain BMW’s performance driving image. BMW CEO Norbert Reithofer, meanwhile, has previously stated that a decision on the drive system will be made by the end of the year.
      06-16-2008, 02:47 PM   #2
beemah
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayman S

sounds very very interesting folks!
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2008, 02:55 PM   #3
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i Msport w/LSD
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwâr'

Garage List
On a Related Note:

Todays News:
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/...n4182515.shtml
      06-16-2008, 03:03 PM   #4
x5love
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 335i

i for isetta
      06-16-2008, 04:26 PM   #5
Kiemyster
Bimmerpost Resident Marijuana Consultant
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 320i, 325xi, 335Xi, 335i, M3

Garage List
meh. hydrogen solves nothing in terms of pollution.

the real solution:

Biofuels based on hemp, and not our crops. Because of our boost in biofuel consumption (globally) is one of the main reasons why we are having a world crisis.

Heres to hemp, and to the stubbornness of our world leaders who will indefinately fuel and accelerate the end of mankind!

cheers
      06-16-2008, 10:42 PM   #6
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiemyster View Post
meh. hydrogen solves nothing in terms of pollution.

the real solution:

Biofuels based on hemp, and not our crops. Because of our boost in biofuel consumption (globally) is one of the main reasons why we are having a world crisis.
FAIL!!!!!!

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2008, 11:41 AM   #7
Haywire
Haywire, brand new BMW owner :D
Canada
Rep
Drives: 328i coupe

yeah, its too bad they crushed all this technology in the 90's... GM already developed a wonderful zero emission vehicle, the electric car (ev1)

it would be nice to see a company make a few of these and stand by the technology.

hydrogen was never going to happen. pipe dreams and propaganda.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2008, 01:49 PM   #8
ArmyBimmerDude
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lola

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by e46e92love View Post
FAIL!!!!!!
      06-17-2008, 03:09 PM   #9
BLITZ
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E34 525i M-Technik

Electric cars have no soul.
      06-17-2008, 03:14 PM   #10
x5love
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 335i

How will hydrogen cars not work??

The emission is nothing but water!
      06-17-2008, 05:45 PM   #11
scottp7
England
Rep
Drives: Mini Cooper S

surely if every car on this planet was emissioning water, then the existing problem of rising sea levels would get extremely bad ???
      06-17-2008, 07:58 PM   #12
ihyln
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3post sucks

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
2002 530i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottp7 View Post
surely if every car on this planet was emissioning water, then the existing problem of rising sea levels would get extremely bad ???
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2008, 10:04 PM   #13
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BS 330i

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by x5love View Post
How will hydrogen cars not work??

The emission is nothing but water!
Hydrogen is a good idea but its really expensive. The catalyst, commonly Platinum, is a pretty expensive material and if there was a market for hydrogen cars, the cost of the catalyst would just increase even more. Not only that but I don't know if I'd want Hydrogen car. I'm not sure how the fuel cells actually react with sparks of energy, but I do know that H2 + oxygen and a flame will cause a release in energy--not sure I'd want to be driving something that may be capable of instantly exploding after a severe car accident. Lastly, i think it takes energy to make the fuel for the hydrogen cars--correct me if I'm wrong. & if it takes energy, it most likely comes from Coal Power plants which is what the US primarily uses as a source of energy. From what I remember, the US hasn't built a new nuclear power plant since the 1990s and alternative energy is still a small %age.

"Akimbo shotguns. Broken wrists anyone? And don't give me that 'it's just a game' bull****. Where the **** are my akimbo interventions then?! One scope on each eye mother****er!!"
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2008, 10:34 PM   #14
jhcao1472
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by just4kickz View Post
Hydrogen is a good idea but its really expensive. The catalyst, commonly Platinum, is a pretty expensive material and if there was a market for hydrogen cars, the cost of the catalyst would just increase even more. Not only that but I don't know if I'd want Hydrogen car. I'm not sure how the fuel cells actually react with sparks of energy, but I do know that H2 + oxygen and a flame will cause a release in energy--not sure I'd want to be driving something that may be capable of instantly exploding after a severe car accident. Lastly, i think it takes energy to make the fuel for the hydrogen cars--correct me if I'm wrong. & if it takes energy, it most likely comes from Coal Power plants which is what the US primarily uses as a source of energy. From what I remember, the US hasn't built a new nuclear power plant since the 1990s and alternative energy is still a small %age.

Please do not forget that gasoline is another fuel source that contains a lot of energy and can explode.
Anyways, I think Hydrogen fuel can be used in a modified internal combustion engine. However, the problem is being able to store it long term because it can just leak, like air leaking from a balloon.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2008, 12:26 AM   #15
Ryan@Motorwerks
Captain
Rep
Drives: X3M

There isn't really a source of just hydrogen, it needs to be "made", which takes energy. So basically you are transfering one energy to another, which isn't that efficient.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2008, 12:36 AM   #16
NaTuReB0Y