E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > 330D Brake upgrades

12-15-2016, 06:02 AM   #1
adammcf
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330D

330D Brake upgrades

I've recently purchased a 2007 330D and while I love the car the brakes are pretty rubbish. Are there any good upgrade options out there for discs and pads or do I need to change the calipers etc?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2016, 06:40 AM   #2
blueh88
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330d M Sport Auto

I've replaced mine with EBC turbo grooved discs and yellowstuff pads. Quite a good upgrade from OEM with more bite, especially at higher speeds which is reassuring but the pads do squeak when not up to temperature.
I've just bought some HEL stainless steel brake lines too but yet to install. I'm hoping these make some improvement too.
Other than that, I personally don't think it is worth upgrading callipers etc. unless you are going on track.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2016, 08:04 AM   #3
adammcf
Private First Class
Rep

I had EBC discs and pads on my Integra years ago and wasnt overly impressed by the quality but they may have improved since then.
The standard brakes are weak and the pedal has no bite or proper progressive feeling.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2016, 10:19 AM   #4
Sukh Singh
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330d

335d calipers and discs? I'm sure I've read on here that some 330ds came with them some did'nt not?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2016, 10:38 AM   #5
R99
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 330d F31 Touring

Fit F3x 4 pot Brembo's w/ 370mm discs.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2016, 02:45 AM   #6
blueh88
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sukh Singh View Post
335d calipers and discs? I'm sure I've read on here that some 330ds came with them some did'nt not?
I think it's the E92 shape that have the 335d calipers and discs. No idea why they would do that...
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2016, 02:47 AM   #7
blueh88
Lieutenant
Rep

I guess it all boils down to what you want from the car and how much you want to spend. I personally feel the disc, pad and brake lines upgraded is good enough for me. But you might not and therefore want to go down the "Big Brake Kit" route.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2016, 03:53 AM   #8
adammcf
Private First Class
Rep

I'll give the discs and pads route a try first and see as I know with the Integra you can get huge differences in just those options.
Are there any other good brands out there which have been tried on here before? Brembo etc?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2016, 07:09 AM   #9
Shane.
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 40d M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueh88 View Post
I think it's the E92 shape that have the 335d calipers and discs. No idea why they would do that...
I've got 335d setup on my E90 Lc 330d as standard
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2016, 07:29 AM   #10
k31ron
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 330d MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane. View Post
I've got 335d setup on my E90 Lc 330d as standard
whats the difference? is it easy to see which you have, curious to know what mines got
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2016, 10:36 AM   #11
dragerboy
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 330D

Quote:
Originally Posted by k31ron View Post
whats the difference? is it easy to see which you have, curious to know what mines got
Very big front calipers if you have 335 ones. If yours is an early E90/E91 you will have smaller setup.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2016, 12:18 PM   #12
ed330D
Private First Class
France
Rep
Drives: E92 330D

the first E90 330d came with 330mm front discs. By 2007 it was 348mm. Later models (2010?) went back to 330mm. You'll need to check.

I've driven BMWs with both sizes. The cars had original BMW parts. There was little difference in performance. Both setups were very good.

When owners complain of poor brakes I'm guessing they have aftermarket parts and old brake lines.

Personally I'd use genuine pads and disks. They are more expensive than aftermarket parts, so perhaps you would want to look at Brembo, Ferodo et cetera.

Just for info. drilled discs are prone to cracking. I've read grooved discs can improve braking in certain circumstances, but having never tried them I can't say one way or the other. Braided lines alter the feel (they give a harder pedal) but wont stop you any quicker.
Appreciate 1
      12-18-2016, 10:08 AM   #13
k31ron
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 330d MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragerboy View Post
Very big front calipers if you have 335 ones. If yours is an early E90/E91 you will have smaller setup.
thanks, mines 2011 but looks like i've got 330mm, They seem decent brakes but nothing special. from previous experience pad choice and new fluid can make a very significant improvement for minimal outlay.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2017, 02:51 PM   #14
billyboym3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 520D

Quote:
Originally Posted by k31ron View Post
thanks, mines 2011 but looks like i've got 330mm, They seem decent brakes but nothing special. from previous experience pad choice and new fluid can make a very significant improvement for minimal outlay.
Ive got a 2011 330D, they are 348 as standard.

looking for a 370 set at the min. just for aesthetics, i can't see there been much difference
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2017, 02:03 PM   #15
ChawenHalo
Second Lieutenant
France
Rep
Drives: E91 330d XDrive LCI M Pack

Quote:
I've replaced mine with EBC turbo grooved discs and yellowstuff pads. Quite a good upgrade from OEM with more bite, especially at higher speeds which is reassuring but the pads do squeak when not up to temperature.
I've just bought some HEL stainless steel brake lines too but yet to install. I'm hoping these make some improvement too.
Other than that, I personally don't think it is worth upgrading callipers etc. unless you are going on track.
+1 Braided hoses are good but I certainly would absolutely NOT recommend them for a road car.
1. They do have to have inspected regularly.
2. Less flexible they are more prone to braking off at the caliper joint
3. They are designed for track cars and to resist very nasty sharp debris impact. Not road use.

There is a reason why even top end Ferraris don't have them on their road cars.

Good fluid flush and good quality road pads normally does wonders. OEM disks for ///M are very good quality.

Last edited by ChawenHalo; 10-09-2017 at 11:59 AM..
Appreciate 1
blueh8869.00
      10-09-2017, 03:38 AM   #16
blueh88
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChawenHalo View Post
+1 Braided hoses are good but I certainly would absolutely NOT recommend them for a raped car.
1. They do have to have inspected regularly.
2. Less flexible they are more prone to braking off at the caliper joint
3. They are designed for track cars and to resist very nasty sharp debris impact. Not road use.

There is a reason why even top end Ferraris don't have them on their road cars.

Good fluid flush and good quality road pads normally does wonders. OEM disks for ///M are very good quality.
Funnily enough, I still haven't installed the braided hoses yet as I had this exact same conversation with someone about these same issues. I may never install them due to this.
Appreciate 1
      10-09-2017, 11:58 AM   #17
ChawenHalo
Second Lieutenant
France
Rep

Quote:
Funnily enough, I still haven't installed the braided hoses yet as I had this exact same conversation with someone about these same issues. I may never install them due to this.
Good one. It depends what your car is and what its used for...

TBH I had some installed on a road car that had track spec. chassis (and I don't mean just a bunch of coilovers). Goodridge will make custom sets that are very good and in 5 yrs never had a problem. They are pricey and take a while to arrive. On the upside you get consistent brake feel when really pushing which makes for better modulating. Is it something I used a lot on track... nah, I just dropped the anchors like most newbie papping myself. Eventually with some experience yes, trail braking etc.

Found this on the old litterweb which is pretty accurate:

I know BMW brakes get a lot of stick by journos on race tracks, which IMHO this is bullocks.

1. They're road cars not race cars
2. Their single piston floating design is excellent for weight and pedal feel
3. Driven properly with a pads, lines and fluid upgrade are absolutely fine for most casual trackdays (and yes I do mean pounding it for 20 mins sessions with warming and cooling laps an entire day).
4. Its easy to confuse "bite" at the top of the pedal (typical Audi VW reassuring brakes) with brake /pedal feel. For BMW less at the top but with progression towards the middle and bottom of the pedal. This is to the point where you can just lightly block the wheels without ABS intervention. Love BMW for that, propped drivers car!
5. Most people don't really appreciate the real braking performance of their cars. Remember emergency brakes on your driving test. Do it (flat road with nobody behind you!). 90% of the time I'll better that performance with their own car by simply really getting to the bottom of the pedal ie: pedal to the metal (neither just stomping on the brakes)

Lastly the more experience one gets driving the less you use the brakes because you're better able to judge the correct entry speed. . Too much speed = more braking and less balance and less speed carried through the corners. Whilst a well judged speed = a more balanced car, entry and exit speed out of the corner.

There, I've said my piece regarding BMW brakes, and I better not not hear from some Audi fanboy about RS4 6 piston design (it just cost a mate €2k to change all 4 corners lol). Sorry about the rambling on

One more thing for the OP. If you want to go the BBK route, the only serious route is AP Racing (£5k for front and rear). Bear in mind that they are a race set up and require the same level of servicing... Brembo may well do some bling 4 pot set up (for the front) but don't expect them to perform to that level.

Last edited by ChawenHalo; 10-09-2017 at 12:23 PM..
Appreciate 1
blueh8869.00
      10-09-2017, 12:04 PM   #18
ChawenHalo
Second Lieutenant
France
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sukh Singh View Post
On LCI they certainly did 330d brakes are the same as 335d. If you look in the spec section of your BMW booklet they are the same. I gather also on pre LCI and again the same between 330i and 335i. There may be variation in certain markets though... maybe someone on here knows better Will check when I get my car (and its booklet) back.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2017, 08:05 AM   #19
blueh88
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChawenHalo View Post
Good one. It depends what your car is and what its used for...

TBH I had some installed on a road car that had track spec. chassis (and I don't mean just a bunch of coilovers). Goodridge will make custom sets that are very good and in 5 yrs never had a problem. They are pricey and take a while to arrive. On the upside you get consistent brake feel when really pushing which makes for better modulating. Is it something I used a lot on track... nah, I just dropped the anchors like most newbie papping myself. Eventually with some experience yes, trail braking etc.

Found this on the old litterweb which is pretty accurate:

I know BMW brakes get a lot of stick by journos on race tracks, which IMHO this is bullocks.

1. They're road cars not race cars
2. Their single piston floating design is excellent for weight and pedal feel
3. Driven properly with a pads, lines and fluid upgrade are absolutely fine for most casual trackdays (and yes I do mean pounding it for 20 mins sessions with warming and cooling laps an entire day).
4. Its easy to confuse "bite" at the top of the pedal (typical Audi VW reassuring brakes) with brake /pedal feel. For BMW less at the top but with progression towards the middle and bottom of the pedal. This is to the point where you can just lightly block the wheels without ABS intervention. Love BMW for that, propped drivers car!
5. Most people don't really appreciate the real braking performance of their cars. Remember emergency brakes on your driving test. Do it (flat road with nobody behind you!). 90% of the time I'll better that performance with their own car by simply really getting to the bottom of the pedal ie: pedal to the metal (neither just stomping on the brakes)

Lastly the more experience one gets driving the less you use the brakes because you're better able to judge the correct entry speed. . Too much speed = more braking and less balance and less speed carried through the corners. Whilst a well judged speed = a more balanced car, entry and exit speed out of the corner.

There, I've said my piece regarding BMW brakes, and I better not not hear from some Audi fanboy about RS4 6 piston design (it just cost a mate €2k to change all 4 corners lol). Sorry about the rambling on

One more thing for the OP. If you want to go the BBK route, the only serious route is AP Racing (£5k for front and rear). Bear in mind that they are a race set up and require the same level of servicing... Brembo may well do some bling 4 pot set up (for the front) but don't expect them to perform to that level.
Thanks for the video - I will check it out later on when I get time!

Oh I love the BMW brake setup. Previous to this car I had a VAG car and I couldn't get on with the brakes. Hated the bite right at the top of the pedal. Family members with VAG cars hate driving my car saying the brakes are poor, when in reality it is due to them not pushing hard enough haha.
Appreciate 0