E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Private Plate help

01-18-2014, 07:03 AM   #1
Danny.B.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 330d M Sport

Private Plate help

Hi Guys

Transferred my private plate onto the merc, been waiting since november for it all to go through

Received the mercs V5 today with the new plate assigned to it finally, but no tax disc or certificate to say im ok to get new plates made up

Ive already got my plates made up (merc did them for me) but im unsure if im allowed to whack them on the car yet?!

My head says ive got the v5 so its good to go, but then my thoughts are with the tax disc which will have my old plate on

Do i just wait or go for it?
      01-18-2014, 07:57 AM   #2
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

As far as I know, you take your V5 with your old tax disc to the post office and they will change it to a new tax disc with private reg on it. Once you have that on the car, you are good to put the plates on.
PS: Please inform your insurance as well.
      01-18-2014, 08:48 AM   #3
J Dub
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 2007 MSport 2.0d

DVLA are a nightmare for things like this. I always got my tax disc with the other bits for the plate (around the same time) yet in the past have had to chase them up for things like the changed MOT cert and so on.
      01-18-2014, 08:54 AM   #4
Shere
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 325i SE Auto (2007)

Did you give your tax disc info on your application? In which case they should send you a new disc. I wouldn't risk putting the plate on as a pedantic ticket inspector will likely give you a ticket for non matching tax disc. Chase up DVLA for the new disc.

Whenever I have done this the new disc has turned up a good few weeks before the V5
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2014, 09:13 AM   #5
Danny.B.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
As far as I know, you take your V5 with your old tax disc to the post office and they will change it to a new tax disc with private reg on it. Once you have that on the car, you are good to put the plates on.
PS: Please inform your insurance as well.
Insurance will be told as soon as the plate is on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Dub View Post
DVLA are a nightmare for things like this. I always got my tax disc with the other bits for the plate (around the same time) yet in the past have had to chase them up for things like the changed MOT cert and so on.
Yeah not got disc or MOT yet, online changed online thursday afternoon though. So hopefully these bits will follow this week!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shere View Post
Did you give your tax disc info on your application? In which case they should send you a new disc. I wouldn't risk putting the plate on as a pedantic ticket inspector will likely give you a ticket for non matching tax disc. Chase up DVLA for the new disc.

Whenever I have done this the new disc has turned up a good few weeks before the V5
The Merc garage took some tax info but i cant remember if it was from my BMW or the Merc! I will call the DVLA to be safe

cheers all

Danny
      01-18-2014, 09:47 AM   #6
E92NeilH
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw F20 M135i

Garage List
I was running around with my private plate on for over a week mate. I didn't realise because BMW was sorting it all out and it went in for a sensor and come out with my private plate on then just over a week later a new tax disc come through the post so I would risk it mate!
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2014, 09:51 AM   #7
Danny.B.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92NeilH View Post
I was running around with my private plate on for over a week mate. I didn't realise because BMW was sorting it all out and it went in for a sensor and come out with my private plate on then just over a week later a new tax disc come through the post so I would risk it mate!
Strange that they didnt tell you mate!

Tempted to stick it on tomorrow! All online checks come back OK, its just the tax disc but they'll all be gone soon anyway

DVLA shut now so cant speak to anyone anyway, im just too inpatient
      01-18-2014, 10:42 AM   #8
E92NeilH
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw F20 M135i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny.B. View Post
Strange that they didnt tell you mate!

Tempted to stick it on tomorrow! All online checks come back OK, its just the tax disc but they'll all be gone soon anyway

DVLA shut now so cant speak to anyone anyway, im just too inpatient
Yeah I thought it was strange because there usually good.

That's true October time I think isn't it mate
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2014, 04:34 AM   #9
scotthun
Registered
Rep
Drives: 320 coupe

Hi samer thing happened to me. I got the new V5 but no tax disc, already had the plates made up. I phoned DVLA and they said the tax disc can take up to two weeks to follow and just to put the plates on with the old tax disc. Did that and about 7 days later new disc and MOT arrived
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2014, 05:14 AM   #10
jrah
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340d

They don't send all the documents together, a bit like when you get a new debit card, they send the pin number separately, similar sort of thing, should arrive within a few days.
      01-19-2014, 05:52 AM   #11
Black Steel
Private
England
Rep
Drives: 320D (184) M Sport Saloon

The transfer went a lot more smoother when the documents (Retention Cert, V5, MOT, Photo Copy of Tax Disc) were sent to the local area DVLA Offices.

You would usually get your New V5, MOT and Tax Disc within a week!

I've heard that these local offices have all but closed (probably to save money).

Now unfortunately, everything seems to be done at Swansea, hence the longer wait!
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2014, 07:56 AM   #12
Drrncour
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M Sport

As said you can put on the private plate with the old tax disc, this is what i did recently. Dvla advised me of this, and said that is what to do. The car is still taxed on their system.
Appreciate 0