E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Is it best to leave heating on overnight when this cold?

01-15-2011, 03:39 PM   #89
mikeysix
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: F30 318d m sport

Garage List
no one seems to have mentioned one major factor that helps to reduce the cost of your gas bill. The stat on the boiler! this controls how hot the water going to the radiators is. Your room stats and radiator stats control air temperature. I run my heating 24/7 when the weather is like this, better to maintain a comfortable temp for our young daughter. usually set the room stat to 20c and keep the radiator stats up to max. The boiler stat is set fairly low as I dont want the radiators scalding hot for the wee one. The boiler will fire even less with the stat turned lower on itself so less gas being consumed and a nice even temp will be maintained without the boiler on full tilt. I get asked everyday which is the best way to run it,constant or timed, high or low. The simple answer is every household is different, build type, insulation, windows, etc etc. You really have to trial and error untill you find what is comfortable. Personally if your gas bills are a bit higher then its not the end of the world, there are other things money can be saved on that being fackin cold!!! The honeywell gear is good stuff, worcester boilers are the best on the market but avoid there wireless stuff. useless!
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2011, 01:12 PM   #90
Dr Dave
Zummerzet Zyder Drinker!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '06 330D Le Mans Blue

Garage List
You make a very good point Mike - mines set to 60 degrees and thats just fine. Hot enough for a decent hot bath but not over-hot.
      01-16-2011, 03:48 PM   #91
JJD
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Got mine set to 20C daytime and 10C night time, quite often (even in the recent low temps) the night time temp in the house doesn't get down to 10C and so the heating doesn't come on.

Well worth having it on at night for the one-time where it does freeze and your pipes burst.

Also heard that in severe low temps and if there is plumbing in your loft then we should leave the loft hatch open a crack.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2011, 05:22 AM   #92
Dizzle
Major
Rep
Drives: F30 335xD

LOL - Random talking about CH on here but I love the diversity!

I've a quick question if anyone can help, I brought the HoneyWell wireless thermostat, think its the CM727..... Anyway I've a spur from my fuse box powering the GlowWorm boiler, having very briefly looked at the installation instructions am I right by thinking the receiver needs to be powered from this spur then put a feed from the reciever to the boiler?

I've had some 'fun' with my heating the last few winters....last winter expansion tank cracked due to the overflow freezing outside - replaced expansion tank. This year? Relay went on PCB on Xmas day, replaced that - after a more than a week of no heating I'm was very happy to have heat and hot water again, highly recommend AllSparesDirect (I used their eBay shop) for all of your boiler spare parts
Appreciate 0