E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Would you buy an ex-demo?

02-12-2010, 09:01 AM   #45
E902717
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: E91 335d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
They only drive em like I do.
I give mine stick but don't you want to be the first? If its a press car you know someone who doesn't give a shit about the car has thrashed the nuts of it!

Appreciate 0
      02-12-2010, 09:06 AM   #46
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by E902717 View Post
I give mine stick but don't you want to be the first? If its a press car you know someone who doesn't give a shit about the car has thrashed the nuts of it!
and then the dealer has made sure all parts of trim damaged or parts showing wear (some do even early on) are replaced. The fluids changed and then sold on as a well run in car.

So you would never own a CSL? 99% of them have seen a track and been hammered.
      02-12-2010, 11:43 AM   #47
E902717
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: E91 335d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
and then the dealer has made sure all parts of trim damaged or parts showing wear (some do even early on) are replaced. The fluids changed and then sold on as a well run in car.

So you would never own a CSL? 99% of them have seen a track and been hammered.
Probably not because i would just buy a E90/E92 M3 wouldn't mind a thrash in a CSL!

Appreciate 0
      02-12-2010, 01:43 PM   #48
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by E902717 View Post
Like others have said i wouldn't touch a press car have you seen how the top gear boys drive them i wouldn't want it after Clarkson had played with it
Too right Paul..........the thought of clarkson's arse having been on the seat really does put me off........but then Chris Harris, could live with that I reckon lol.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2010, 06:03 PM   #49
Jamese93
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 640d Gran Coupe M-Sport

If I'm totally honest I'd not buy an ex-demo car - I can see your desire to get a new RS as soon as possible beemerbird, but would you want your car, the new performance variant, to have been red-lined to test performance from brand new by all the 50 people who have driven it?

I know they can take it, but I'm sure you or rather you and most other people on here, me included would have a little mechanical sympathy and let the car warm up before nailing it to the limiter - a test pilot would not - we've all bounced off the limiter at some time in a demo!

I also know a former sales person from a well know dealer, and when a new model arrived, they'd all take it out and really abuse it to see how it went - you wouldn't want to own that would you?

J
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2010, 06:59 PM   #50
Real Thing
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Audi TT-RS Plus + MK6 Golf R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamese93 View Post
If I'm totally honest I'd not buy an ex-demo car - I can see your desire to get a new RS as soon as possible beemerbird, but would you want your car, the new performance variant, to have been red-lined to test performance from brand new by all the 50 people who have driven it?

I know they can take it, but I'm sure you or rather you and most other people on here, me included would have a little mechanical sympathy and let the car warm up before nailing it to the limiter - a test pilot would not - we've all bounced off the limiter at some time in a demo!

I also know a former sales person from a well know dealer, and when a new model arrived, they'd all take it out and really abuse it to see how it went - you wouldn't want to own that would you?

J
Most high end performance Cars are not insured for everyone at the dealership to take out and have a play in (most have an over 25 limit) If it needs running in they will also do the running in period before they put it out on demo. Nearly every car will have had the 1st 20 miles driven from cold and thrashed by the Transport Drivers before you even take delivery.
Also Helen when the new RS5 arrives it will attract the Showroom Tax (after April 1st) So a demo could save you about another £950
      02-13-2010, 07:51 PM   #51
zedman
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M Sport 320D,

I did buy my 320d E92 ex demo, i know its hardly the same as an RS5 and it's not the sort of car that people would want to red line BUT, the car was sold as 'new' i.e., no wheel scuffs, no paint marks/chips/etc, no scratches on any trim - and not had any problems with it, i'd rather do this again, the 6k saving is well worth it!
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2010, 08:35 AM   #52
Jamese93
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Thing View Post
Most high end performance Cars are not insured for everyone at the dealership to take out and have a play in (most have an over 25 limit) If it needs running in they will also do the running in period before they put it out on demo. Nearly every car will have had the 1st 20 miles driven from cold and thrashed by the Transport Drivers before you even take delivery.
Also Helen when the new RS5 arrives it will attract the Showroom Tax (after April 1st) So a demo could save you about another £950
I can tell you now fella they don't observe a running in period with demo cars! They're put on as sales people's cars and then the fun begins - it doesn't need to be out with a customer to get thrashed......
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2010, 04:26 PM   #53
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
James - I hear what you're saying and agree, I would have some mechanical sympathy and no, I wouldn't want a car that had been ragged from cold by all and sundry.

I've been told that all the sales staff are not allowed out in cars of a certain bhp/cost. One salesman I was chatting with wasn't allowed to drive the TT RS I took out for a spin. Now I know this is not the case with all dealers because of people I've spoken with. Nor are unaccompanied test drives allowed in cars over 400 bhp at the Audi dealership I would be using. Time will tell, there's much to consider yet.

Chris - Thanks for the info. re. the Showroom Tax.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2010, 07:34 AM   #54
foxy-367
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamese93 View Post
I can tell you now fella they don't observe a running in period with demo cars! They're put on as sales people's cars and then the fun begins - it doesn't need to be out with a customer to get thrashed......
I'd agree with this to some degree my mate works for a cheaper mainstream dealer and rags the nuts off any car he gets. However I have a mate who works for Audi and he treats the cars he drives with more respect. Its all about the attitude of the dealer principals and managers IMO. Audi seem to have higher standards and thus their salesmen are expected to act in a certain way. I'm not saying they still wouldn't screw a car from new but are probably less likely to. Another thing to add, if the car was a more common car say a 320d the salesman would be less likely to get in and red line a car like this. If it was a higher performance car then it might be more likely but as Helen said the top end cars are generally out of bounds to the 'riff raff'!

As for the 'running in' period, this is now less important than it used to be a friends Dad works for Merc and told me it doesn't have the same detriment it would have had in say the eighties and nineties. He did try to explain why but I forgot ....but a car must be warmed up before driving spiritedly. If it came down to it I would still run a car in personally (Argued aaginst my own point there!!!!)

At the end of the day if you don't plan on keeping the car to the end of its warranty period then it wouldn't matter if something did go pop as it would be covered under warranty. I just see the big chunk of money saved and in my experience haven't had any problems.

Now - E90 320d M Sport, Le Mans Blue, sun protection glass, Auto lights and wipers, 193M, a big grin
Previous - Seat Leon FR, Golf Gttdi (x2), Mk3 Fiesta SI, E30 318i Peugeot 205 Roland Garros, Mk2 Fiesta Ghia (it had a rev counter!!!!)

Last edited by foxy-367; 02-16-2010 at 11:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2010, 07:53 AM   #55
Jamese93
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerbird View Post
James - I hear what you're saying and agree, I would have some mechanical sympathy and no, I wouldn't want a car that had been ragged from cold by all and sundry.

I've been told that all the sales staff are not allowed out in cars of a certain bhp/cost. One salesman I was chatting with wasn't allowed to drive the TT RS I took out for a spin. Now I know this is not the case with all dealers because of people I've spoken with. Nor are unaccompanied test drives allowed in cars over 400 bhp at the Audi dealership I would be using. Time will tell, there's much to consider yet.

Chris - Thanks for the info. re. the Showroom Tax.
Fair point! If the young salesmen aren't allowed out to try and tear the tyres off it and it's treated well by the dealership then I can see more of this argument winning - the amount of cash that falls off a car when it comes out the showroom is, as we all know, eye-watering - and it's a good way for you to get your hands on a new motor that would otherwise be a long wait.

Foxy's right aswell - new cars don't need as much running in as older cars did as the engineering tolerances are that much higher, but I'd give it a little while before giving it some proper welly - a few hundred miles at least! You feel the car easing up as time goes along.

So, is it a yeay or a nay for a demo car then
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2010, 06:12 PM   #56
Real Thing
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxy-367 View Post
I'd agree with this to some degree my mate works for a cheaper mainstream dealer and rags the nuts off any car he gets. However I have a mate who works for Audi and he treats the cars he drives with more respect. Its all about the attitude of the dealer principals and managers IMO. Audi seem to have higher standards and thus their salesmen are expected to act in a certain way. I'm not saying they still wouldn't screw a car from new but are probably less likely to. Another thing to add, if the car was a more common car say a 320d the salesman would be less likely to get in and red line a car like this. If it was a higher performance car then it might be more likely but as Helen said the top end cars are generally out of bounds to the 'riff raff'!

As for the 'running in' period, this is now less important than it used to be a friends Dad works for Merc and told me it doesn't have the same detriment it would have had in say the eighties and nineties. He did try to explain why but I forgot ....but a car must be warmed up before driving spiritedly. If it came down to it I would still run a car in personally (Argued aaginst my own point there!!!!)

At the end of the day if you don't plan on keeping the car to the end of its warranty period then it wouldn't matter if something did go pop as it would be covered under warranty. I just see the big chunk of money saved and in my experience haven't had any problems.
I agree that most modern day cars don't need a Running in Period (Brakes might take a couple of 100 miles before there at there best) but some high performance engines need a 1000/1200 Mile oil change and the RS5 will probably be one of these (like the M3) It's these sort of Cars that shouldn't get the hammer from Day one by all the Sales Staff (well not until after it's oil change)
      02-20-2010, 11:08 AM   #57
Real Thing
Lieutenant
Rep

Something to Whet your appetite Helen

http://redirectingat.com/?id=1044X50...2F104612574%2F
      02-20-2010, 01:32 PM   #58
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Where did you find that Chris, thanks though.

You reckon that's someones 'educated guess' at what it may look like?

Hmm, two big exhausts as opposed to four I've got now. I like my four exhausts lol. Liking those alloys.

Not sure why it's shown with a standard slush box, again maybe done as a guess. Pretty sure it's going to be offered with their dual clutch box ie. s tronic or manual.

Those seats look nice ie. the TT RS type bucket ones, bet they'd be a costly optional extra!

But what engine?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2010, 03:20 PM   #59
Real Thing
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Where did you find that Chris, thanks though.

You reckon that's someones 'educated guess' at what it may look like?

Hmm, two big exhausts as opposed to four I've got now. I like my four exhausts lol. Liking those alloys.

Not sure why it's shown with a standard slush box, again maybe done as a guess. Pretty sure it's going to be offered with their dual clutch box ie. s tronic or manual.

Those seats look nice ie. the TT RS type bucket ones, bet they'd be a costly optional extra!

But what engine?
Not sure how true it is but according to some sites it is the official brochure
http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2010/02...hure-with.html

There was some earlier pictures doing the rounds of two single exhausts and if it has the option of a S-Tronic/DSG they may be getting another order
      02-20-2010, 03:33 PM   #60
Irnbrukid
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Imaginary M2

Haha beat me to it.

Similar stuff here....

http://www.ausmotive.com/2010/02/21/...-brochure.html
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2010, 03:44 PM   #61
Real Thing
Lieutenant
Rep

According to RS6.com forum these are from the new brochure to be released 22nd Feb

"Someone broke the embargo... I have that same brochure and German Price List for almost 8 days now. BUT, embargo is still ON and I can not post specs and prices yet... 22nd earliest...

Hopefully , all of you like RS5-IMHO the best car in its class by far."

"...and very interesting source of this leak-company that is doing some marketing work for Audi. Maybe for the last time? "
      02-21-2010, 03:06 AM   #62
Steve A
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: too much

Well thats me fucked then. i want one, always have, and this looks ace.

i hope its going to be a fully reworked engine from the rs4/r8 N/A with a telepathic throttle response( please please please) at least 450bhp.

i dont think a manual will be on offer at the start......maybe never.

Helen id have no qualms in a demo car, as its a nice way to save 5k plus.

How many second hand cars have you bought and in all honesty can you really know if these havent been paggered all over the place??

i expect all my second hand performance cars have been ragged so whats the difference?

*********** just realised on the picture showing the rev counter its got a 8200rpm redline so ill wager it is an updated verision of the rs4s N/A engine************

Last edited by Steve A; 02-21-2010 at 03:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2010, 05:09 AM   #63
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve A View Post
Well thats me fucked then. i want one, always have, and this looks ace.

i hope its going to be a fully reworked engine from the rs4/r8 N/A with a telepathic throttle response( please please please) at least 450bhp.

i dont think a manual will be on offer at the start......maybe never.

Helen id have no qualms in a demo car, as its a nice way to save 5k plus.

How many second hand cars have you bought and in all honesty can you really know if these havent been paggered all over the place??

i expect all my second hand performance cars have been ragged so whats the difference?

*********** just realised on the picture showing the rev counter its got a 8200rpm redline so ill wager it is an updated verision of the rs4s N/A engine************
Why wouldn't they offer a manual in your opinion Steve? Sales Manager at my dealers reckon they would as the R8 V10 is available in a manual (one I had a play in was manual), hope they do tbh.

I agree re. the 'used' aspect of it and the irony is I test drove my S5 twice before buying it and first time out I redlined it a lot, I did wait until the engine had warmed up though.

Well spotted on the 8,200 redline btw. Do you reckon that could mean it would be revvy to get it spinning being N/A or would Audi still provide some decent torque in your opinion? Or could it have a turbo(s) on it providing torque, but then would a turbo engine rev that high?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2010, 05:54 AM   #64
Steve A
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: too much

Quote:
Why wouldn't they offer a manual in your opinion Steve? Sales Manager at my dealers reckon they would as the R8 V10 is available in a manual (one I had a play in was manual), hope they do tbh.

I agree re. the 'used' aspect of it and the irony is I test drove my S5 twice before buying it and first time out I redlined it a lot, I did wait until the engine had warmed up though.

Well spotted on the 8,200 redline btw. Do you reckon that could mean it would be revvy to get it spinning being N/A or would Audi still provide some decent torque in your opinion? Or could it have a turbo(s) on it providing torque, but then would a turbo engine rev that high?
I doubt it will be turbo'd at thoses rpms.

Helen my rs4 has 316fb ft and is full of torque.

if the rs5s engine has a true 450 then the torque in my best estimate will be 330-340 so itll have plenty. However with a dsg box itll drop cogs mega fast so torque wont be much of an issue imo.

ps if you get one before me you owe me a go
      02-21-2010, 06:23 AM   #65
Irnbrukid
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Imaginary M2

Some nice high res pics here.

http://forums.fourtitude.com/zerothread?id=4771145
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2010, 06:32 AM   #66
Real Thing
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve A View Post
I doubt it will be turbo'd at thoses rpms.

Helen my rs4 has 316fb ft and is full of torque.

if the rs5s engine has a true 450 then the torque in my best estimate will be 330-340 so itll have plenty. However with a dsg box itll drop cogs mega fast so torque wont be much of an issue imo.

ps if you get one before me you owe me a go
Hope your right Steve as I've just gambled £250 on a nice plate (RS54TWO)
Anyway you can have ago in mine if Helen doesn’t get one