E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > A0B4 Fault Code- Help! Car won't crank

11-11-2015, 04:52 PM   #1
Its_Plo
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328i E92

A0B4 Fault Code- Help! Car won't crank

So this all started about 2 weeks ago, I was driving home from work and the battery icon came on my display. Did this for about 3 days before I took it in to check the battery. The guy at O-reilleys auto ran a check on my battery and said it wasn't getting enough voltage, he then checked the alternator and it failed the test. Apparently not getting enough voltage to the battery.

A few days pass and I'm getting off of work to go to a friends house. After I leave his house i get in my car and try to start my car, no crank. The lights on the dash come on but when I press the start button my car doesn't do a thing. So I'm thinking my alternator has finally failed me. Before I dish out the cash for the alternator I had my friend come over today and scan my car with his fancy OBD scanner. I through a A0B4 fault code along with a few others (nothing serious). After clearing the codes and re-scanning my car the A0B4 error returned. Battery was getting 11.3 volts btw, this is low from what I've read

Been doing some reading and a lot of people are saying its a bad starter. BUT I just was told my alternator failed the test. Seems that this error code is all over the place and can be caused by many things, just need some second opinions before I pull the trigger on a new alternator, THANKS!!!

Last edited by Its_Plo; 11-12-2015 at 11:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2015, 11:43 AM   #2
Its_Plo
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328i E92

UPDATE: New alternator installed, still not cranking over. Although the battery seems to be getting enough voltage now. Any ideas? My immediate thought was maybe its the starter. Getting a diagnostic ran today hopefully they can find out whats wrong /:
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2020, 01:25 PM   #3
BillyG
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328xi

How did you fix this problem? I am having similar symptoms, and I would appreciate any insight.
Appreciate 0