E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Maybe it's not all that bad after all...

09-14-2008, 05:09 PM   #23
polyfiller
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 330d Pile of poo

Been to dealers twice. Was told there's nothing wrong. Second time they took "fast data" and sent to the regional guru. Not heard anything since. Also told they drove my car back to back with another one ... and they drove the same ... if true leads me to the conclusion all 330 ED's are lemons and best avoided. Get an E46 330D or a 335 D. Given what a mapped 335d puts out .... has to be the biggest smile potential, plus economy !
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2008, 05:10 PM   #24
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: VW T5

Garage List
I had a 320i (150bhp) before my 330d and understand where you are coming from, never tried a 330i though so can't comment on them. SoYank had no problem keeping up with Boos M3 at UK6 though!!
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2008, 05:13 PM   #25
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: VW T5

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by polyfiller View Post
Been to dealers twice. Was told there's nothing wrong. Second time they took "fast data" and sent to the regional guru. Not heard anything since. Also told they drove my car back to back with another one ... and they drove the same ... if true leads me to the conclusion all 330 ED's are lemons and best avoided. Get an E46 330D or a 335 D. Given what a mapped 335d puts out .... has to be the biggest smile potential, plus economy !
You really need to be driving the 'other' car to make that decision. Perhaps try another dealer then? Im sure there must be someone else with a ED 330d to compare with you on here.

Oilburner has an 08 330d, he seems to like his.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...highlight=330d
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2008, 09:27 PM   #26
encee
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 330d SE Steptronic

Quote:
if you give the accelarator a real prod below 2.5k in, say, second gear, the car lurches forward as though to say ... "yay I can do this"
Polyfiller: Mate, I can only sympathise with you, in all honesty, as you must have bought the typical "Friday afternoon car", from the way you describe yours.

Mine, admittedly, is a pre-ED engine, and also lurches forward in second (auto-box) with gusto, when given a taste, in much of the "yay, I can do this" fashion that you describe above. However, mine continues by saying "and just watch me do this, Dad", by pulling ever harder, until I`m forced to back off, and there is NO let-up, or apparent intervention by anything, other than the auto-box making me change up.

As I said mate, I do sympathise, as it seems you`ve been left with a sour taste, and the feeling that you`ve now bought the wrong car, but I would hope that there aren`t any more like yours out there. After all, we`re talking BMW here ?

Hope you get the result you want.........
      09-15-2008, 01:57 PM   #27
polyfiller
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 330d Pile of poo

Encee, thanks for the support mate. Trouble is, if the dealer is telling me mine is as it should be, leads me to believe that somehow, the ED bit has ruined what is almost the greatest diesel driving experience out there (say almost because of the 335 D). I'll see if I can keep squeezing the dealer into doing something about it.

Noticed the weather variation again big time today; real cool this morning. Car nice and crisp. 40 miles later, hit traffic, car warms up, air temp warms up, some stop start, plus speeds below 50 mph. next time I try and accelerate hard, the gremlin who dives under the bonnet and installs the 30 year old Reliant Robin engine had struck again. Got stuck behind an artic soon after and was sorely tempted to drive straight into the back of it.

The real wind up is that my E46 is now the wifes ... and she 1) Keeps winding me up about it and 2) won't let me drive it. and 3) It goes like it should go.
Appreciate 0