E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Service Engine Soon Light

08-19-2006, 10:02 AM   #1
scout
Registered
Rep
Drives: 325xi

Service Engine Soon Light

Has anyone else had issues with this yellow engine light. I have had this thing come on three times and have now had it checked and cleared twice. They told me the first time there were 6 codes that when cleared did not come back, the second time was a low pressure fuel leak which they said was most likely due to the gas cap not being tight enough; this made no sense since I had not filled up in 5 days. Now it is on again and I am scheduled to go in this week to check it out yet again.

The one common denominator is I had an accessory (phone charger) plugged into the lighter when I stated the car. I asked the service manager about it but he said it was unrelated as the lighter is on a different circuit than the engine. I personnally think he is wrong and there is an issue where the power system is getting a spike that is causing it.

Your thoughts are appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2006, 01:53 PM   #2
Chesmu
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X6

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
i've had my car for 8 mos and start it with my ipod plugged into the accessory plug in the armrest without issues. In short, I can't help you. Sorry.
      08-19-2006, 03:10 PM   #3
Alfredo79
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 sparkling graphite metalic

I had my E90 for only 2 weeks the service light went on, I'm upset I had to wait almost 4 mos for the dam car and now this crap!!! I will be taking the car on monday to get it checked out!!!:mad: :mad:
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2006, 10:51 AM   #4
scout
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by moocow
i've had my car for 8 mos and start it with my ipod plugged into the accessory plug in the armrest without issues. In short, I can't help you. Sorry.
The accessory power outlet in the armrest is not deep enough for my phone charger so I am forced to use the cigarrette lighter.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2006, 02:24 PM   #5
Chesmu
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X6

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by scout
The accessory power outlet in the armrest is not deep enough for my phone charger so I am forced to use the cigarrette lighter.
I never noticed they were different. I'll have to go take a closer look.
      08-20-2006, 04:48 PM   #6
mosport70
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [0.00]
2006 330xi  [0.00]
2006 330xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by scout
Sure you checked this already, but many car adapter plugs come with plastic sheaths on the end to adjust how far it enters the outlet. If you have one on the end of your phone charger, remove it and try the accessory outlet again.
330xi Sparkling Graphite | Terra with Burl Walnut | ZPP | ZSP with Style 162 | Comfort Access | Heated Seats | PDC | Navigation | Satellite Radio | OEM Alarm | De-badged | OEM Strut Brace | Blacklines | Rear Fogs | Silver Front Indicator Bulbs

Ordered: 4.3.2006
Scheduled for Production: 4.7.2006
Awaiting Transport: 4.13.2006
En Route: 4.19.2006
At Preparation Center: 5.11.2006
Performance Center Delivery: 06.01.2006

Appreciate 0
      08-20-2006, 05:21 PM   #7
///Matt
United States Marine
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Dodge Ram 1500

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
As a BMW tech, I'll tell you:

your accessory in the charger is NOT causing a service engine light, not even through wierd power spike. Trust me.

I would like to have known what the first six codes are, but the one about your fuel cap, very common, and unless it returns, is nothing to worry about, even if you DIDN"T leave your cap loose.

I think that if the same code which they blamed on the fuel cap has returned this time, they will do something about it, like replace the module that causes the light to come on in the case of a fuel leak, if there isn't an actual fuel leak... don't worry about it, it's a hassle, but is sitting and being worried over it going to make it any easier? nah.... Just get it fixed, right?

Alfredo:

I understand you're bothered that you had to wait 4 months for the car, and are upset that something has happened to it, but you have to realize that with as much technology as goes in these cars... Whatever has caused this light to come on, may be something that has happened to you before on other cars, that you just didn't know about because the computer wasn't advanced enough to catch it! This light is PROTECTING you from crap, not generating it in your life... Don't be dissapointed in your car because of one check engine light, early on. It's very likely a simple fluke, and you'll have years of enjoyable ownership.

Matt
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2006, 06:43 AM   #8
scout
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Matt
As a BMW tech, I'll tell you:

your accessory in the charger is NOT causing a service engine light, not even through wierd power spike. Trust me.

I would like to have known what the first six codes are, but the one about your fuel cap, very common, and unless it returns, is nothing to worry about, even if you DIDN"T leave your cap loose.

I think that if the same code which they blamed on the fuel cap has returned this time, they will do something about it, like replace the module that causes the light to come on in the case of a fuel leak, if there isn't an actual fuel leak... don't worry about it, it's a hassle, but is sitting and being worried over it going to make it any easier? nah.... Just get it fixed, right?

Alfredo:

I understand you're bothered that you had to wait 4 months for the car, and are upset that something has happened to it, but you have to realize that with as much technology as goes in these cars... Whatever has caused this light to come on, may be something that has happened to you before on other cars, that you just didn't know about because the computer wasn't advanced enough to catch it! This light is PROTECTING you from crap, not generating it in your life... Don't be dissapointed in your car because of one check engine light, early on. It's very likely a simple fluke, and you'll have years of enjoyable ownership.

Matt
Thanks Matt, BTW you were right, it came on again for the same reason and they replaced the module that senses it. I would imagine you are a tech.

Also, along the vane of the other note, I have a high end CD player that will not play certain CD's that my cheap player will play. The reason is error sampling on my less expensive player compensates for all of the missing code and makes assumptions on what the music should sound like. The High end player won't make assumptions you get the music the way it was intended to be. Point is, you get what you pay for, whether you like the sound or not you are not sheltered from the reality.
Appreciate 0