E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Amp/Sub install

10-25-2011, 07:14 PM   #1
shaun671
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 Sparkling Graphite e92 MT

Amp/Sub install

I am having a shop install my amp and sub soon into my e92. I was wondering if the installation is just like any typical one, or if they will need to do all this coding stuff to make it work.

There's a higher end audio shop that can do it for me, but they are more expensive. Then there is Fry's electronics who is right by my work who can do it for me as well, and of course they are cheaper. If the install is basic and straightforward, then i'm going to have Fry's do it since it's cheaper. But if there's anything tricky with it that the Fry's installers may not know of, I would rather have the high end shop do it since they do installs on BMW's all the time.

So pretty much....anything hard about this install? Or is it like any typical sub/amp install on any other car?

I have the Logic 7 system by the way.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2011, 08:35 PM   #2
shaun671
Private
Rep

Anyone?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2011, 04:50 AM   #3
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

Definitely not like any other amp/sub install. Read up a little before letting some general shop work on your HK7 system. First off it sends a fiber optic signal from the head unit back to the amp.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2011, 08:48 AM   #4
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 AW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
It's the same as any other car except you need to take the signal after the amp in the trunk and not from the HU. The installer just needs to make sure he taps the right channels.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2011, 09:48 AM   #5
MKR_DmD
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 16 Jeep Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ********* View Post
It's the same as any other car except you need to take the signal after the amp in the trunk and not from the HU. The installer just needs to make sure he taps the right channels.
That is the only difference. There is a DIY on an E92 install, they could use that as an outline so they know what color wires to tap. Pretty simple install since the battery is located in the turnk.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2011, 05:11 PM   #6
shaun671
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivinMissDaisy View Post
That is the only difference. There is a DIY on an E92 install, they could use that as an outline so they know what color wires to tap. Pretty simple install since the battery is located in the turnk.
Hmm never thought about that...so if the signal needs to be tapped from the amp in the trunk, and the battery is in the trunk, then there is no actual running of wires throughout the car right? Since the entire installation will be done all in the trunk...Doesn't seem too hard..I might just do it myself them. Reason why I was going to have someone else do it is because I absolutely hate ripping apart dash parts and interior panels and would rather have someone else liable if a clip brakes or a panel gets scratched.

Ive done audio installations a few times before so i'm guessing this shouldn't be too hard.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2011, 07:09 PM   #7
Htown535i
Private
Rep
Drives: 325i

Yeah, it's pretty simple if you follow the great wiring diagrams that are floating around here ( to know what wires to tap), if you are just sticking the sub and amp in the trunk, then there is very little wiring, you can pretty much just use t-taps to tap into the channels you need, and then just run your Power and Ground & remote , but since the battery is also in the trunk then there is very little to do except maybe running it thru the sides or something to hide as much of the wiring as you can. no drilling thru the firewall and taking off all sorts of panels to hide those wires.
Appreciate 0