E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Oil Change indicator help

07-01-2012, 09:56 PM   #1
dtran
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328i

Oil Change indicator help

Hi everyone,

So here's the quick run-down. Purchased a BMW from a non-Bimmer dealer, and it came with a free oil change. That being said, got an oil change with synthetic oil, etc after the service lights were on.

I'm positive they didn't reset the oil service maintenance on the CPU. It says that my next schedule is in 3400km but I just got an oil change...

Could this be related to the oil change computer, or something else? Is a reset needed?

Any suggestions and comments greatly appreciated.

Last edited by dtran; 07-01-2012 at 10:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2012, 10:37 PM   #2
Gee_115
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: E60 550i

If they didn't reset it the service indicator would still be on right after the oil change. So if you still had the service indicator after the oil change then you do need a reset. If not then I am not sure. To reset it you can use the trip button.

Here is a procedure I have used and it works. However, I have an E60. Got it from 5series.net

1. Turn ignition on to terminal 15. Button pushed twice. All lights on, no engine.
2. Close all doors.
3. Press and hold the instrument cluster set/reset button for 10 seconds
4. The upper display in the cluster will be illuminated with a service item. E.g. an oil can is designated for oil service. The lower display in the cluster will indicate the remaining time or mileage left for that service item. PRESSING the button repeatedly will display to scroll through all of the Condition Based Service items.
5. When oil Can appears in message center release the reset button, then hold it down.
6. reset message will appear, push once more until it resets.

Last edited by Gee_115; 07-01-2012 at 10:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2012, 10:38 PM   #3
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

You can reset it yourself

There is a procedure in the DIY section .
I would also say you should be checking the graph display on a regular
basis rather than waiting for the idiot light to come on .

http://www.e90post.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2012, 11:55 PM   #4
dtran
Rep

My apologies, I think there must be some confusion. Checked the oil levels, and it seems fine, there's no indicator. It's just that there's 3400km and it's counting down for the next schedule maintenance, and I assumed it was based on my oil levels.

That being said, the scheduled maintenance, once that 3400km goes to "0", do I just bring it to a dealer and get it checked for any problems?

This probably sounds "noob" but I've just purchased my first BMW a month ago.
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 10:16 AM   #5
MrCairo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtran
My apologies, I think there must be some confusion. Checked the oil levels, and it seems fine, there's no indicator. It's just that there's 3400km and it's counting down for the next schedule maintenance, and I assumed it was based on my oil levels.

That being said, the scheduled maintenance, once that 3400km goes to "0", do I just bring it to a dealer and get it checked for any problems?

This probably sounds "noob" but I've just purchased my first BMW a month ago.
Thanks!
If you read Gee_115's post it details how to reset the oil mileage countdown. It will reset the 3400km to 24140km (about 15000 miles). But as everyone had posted, don't trust this countdown to tell you when you need to check your oil.
      07-02-2012, 04:11 PM   #6
BMW_Belgier
Lieutenant Colonel
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: E92 335xi n55

@Dtran: The sign you're talking about is the oil can sign? Or the maintenance sign?

If they changed the oil, it should read approx. 25000 km! If not, they didn't reset...
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 05:44 PM   #7
MrQuickR1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

I too purchased from a non BMW dealer.
They claimed to have changed the oil. I don't trust any dealer regardless so I did my own change, did the reset, it reset for 15,000 miles.
I plan to change it halfway, and then when it reads "0" I will change it again. I am not doing 15,000 mile intervals. 7,500 is still high but full synthetic is good to just about 7,500 depending on the driving style.
Unfortunately the reset procedure only worked when I started the car, it didn't work with just the key on. So if it doesn't work for you, try starting it and see if it works then.
My advice, I wouldn't trust a non BMW dealer to change the oil, I can guarantee they do not have BMW filters and more than likely did not put full synthetic as well. I get lifetime free oil changes, I will not go once! I like to know what goes in and do it right.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 07:41 AM   #8
BMW_Belgier
Lieutenant Colonel
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: E92 335xi n55

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQuickR1 View Post
I too purchased from a non BMW dealer.
They claimed to have changed the oil. I don't trust any dealer regardless so I did my own change, did the reset, it reset for 15,000 miles.
I plan to change it halfway, and then when it reads "0" I will change it again. I am not doing 15,000 mile intervals. 7,500 is still high but full synthetic is good to just about 7,500 depending on the driving style.
Unfortunately the reset procedure only worked when I started the car, it didn't work with just the key on. So if it doesn't work for you, try starting it and see if it works then.
My advice, I wouldn't trust a non BMW dealer to change the oil, I can guarantee they do not have BMW filters and more than likely did not put full synthetic as well. I get lifetime free oil changes, I will not go once! I like to know what goes in and do it right.
I don't even trust my own BMW dealer...

I brougt my car in for an oil change at 3k miles (new). They didn't reset eather
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2012, 09:07 PM   #9
dtran
Rep

Reset oil, but now the numbers are too high?

Thanks for the advice. Just did the DIY reset, and now my next oil change is roughly around 40,000km which seems WAY to high? So something might be wrong? But anyways, the original 3,400km is no longer there, but the new high number is a bit concerning. I drove about 2,000km before recently resetting, so even 38,000km is high. Any suggestions?
Appreciate 0