E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Satnav holders and bean bag mounts...

05-20-2015, 12:46 AM   #1
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

Question Satnav holders and bean bag mounts...

Trying to find a stable solution to mount my satnav... previously I was using the TomTom bean bag mount... it is nice and weighted so never slipped or slid off the dash. However, on my E92 when I put my foot down and as the dash is slightly angled it comes flying off. My previous nav (old) fell off with such force it hit the dog leg on the gear stick and cracked the screen.

I have been looking at Brodit? clips or pro mount clips... but I am not sure how to fix the nav on to that...

I have a TT Go Live 1000 (6") and its great. Free map updates and live traffic for the lifetime.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&rc...32187159754294

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2015, 04:24 AM   #2
DriverLDN
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M Sport E90 2006

Hi mate,

I've seen the odd few people starting to use the Spider Podium mounts.

I have no experience with them myself, but they look pretty decent.

Spider Podium Mounts
      05-20-2015, 05:51 AM   #3
IanS100
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 520d F10 LCI M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken_Gearbox View Post
I have been looking at Brodit? clips or pro mount clips... but I am not sure how to fix the nav on to that...

I have a TT Go Live 1000 (6") and its great. Free map updates and live traffic for the lifetime.
I have a Brodit / Mount for my Galaxy Note 3, it mounts on the right hand side of the dash above the light switch, it's a good for the 5" screen mounted portrait but space for landscape is limited and & 6" Sat Nav would be even more problematic, but here are Brodit mounts for more central dash locations which probably work better.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2015, 06:05 AM   #4
gibbon7000
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e92 coupe

Have a look at this and see if it suits your needs. I have one and think its fantastic. Yu can order through Amazon.com I have the mountek 3

www.mountek.com
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2015, 06:45 AM   #5
Waspo
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: E90 330i M Sport, Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanS100 View Post
I have a Brodit / Mount for my Galaxy Note 3, it mounts on the right hand side of the dash above the light switch, it's a good for the 5" screen mounted portrait but space for landscape is limited and & 6" Sat Nav would be even more problematic, but here are Brodit mounts for more central dash locations which probably work better.

Always been a huge fan and user of Brodit clips, have one in my E90 now holding my Phone. thats a from me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbon7000 View Post
Have a look at this and see if it suits your needs. I have one and think its fantastic. Yu can order through Amazon.com I have the mountek 3

www.mountek.com
Not sure i would like to swing a Satnav from my CD Slot
      05-20-2015, 08:54 AM   #6
Ao1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I got a coke can, cut it in half and then pushed the two halves together. I then wrapped the can in electrical tape and stuck the sat nav to the top of it. It actually looked quite good. Put it in the drinks holder and you are good to go. It worked really well until I got a sat nav retrofit. Cost £0. Time to make it, around 15 minutes.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2015, 08:55 AM   #7
Waspo
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ao1 View Post
I got a coke can, cut it in half and then pushed the two halves together. I then wrapped the can in electrical tape and stuck the sat nav to the top of it. It actually looked quite good. Put it in the drinks holder and you are good to go. It worked really well until I got a sat nav retrofit. Cost £0. Time to make it, around 15 minutes.

Think i would rather use a paper Map!!
      05-20-2015, 10:40 AM   #8
Bbbeemer
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 840i CG

Try proclips, us based but do trim mounts for ipads/iphones/sat nav to fit specifically for various makes/models including BMW. I ordered some bits from them which was delayed a couple of days whilst on back order but once sent (FedEx tracked) they arrived three days after dispatch and it's solid kit, can't fault it
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2015, 12:37 PM   #9
andysat
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e93

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2015, 03:08 AM   #10
Icekube
Captain
Scotland
Rep
Drives: E87 130i

lol i dont understand why your all shocked at him using a coke can for a mount, its a good idea.....

i guess you guys would rather pay 700£ for some billet alloy "can" to insert into the cup holder instead..
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2015, 03:24 AM   #11
Waspo
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icekube View Post
lol i dont understand why your all shocked at him using a coke can for a mount, its a good idea.....

i guess you guys would rather pay 700£ for some billet alloy "can" to insert into the cup holder instead..
£700 hundred pound for a SatNav Mount.... Now who is being silly

Honestly, a crushed drinks can with black tape round it....REALLY ?
      05-21-2015, 04:35 AM   #12
Icekube
Captain
Scotland
Rep
Drives: E87 130i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waspo View Post
£700 hundred pound for a SatNav Mount.... Now who is being silly

Honestly, a crushed drinks can with black tape round it....REALLY ?
did he say a crushed drinks can?

no, he didn't. all it would look like is a black cylinder, half the height of can?. use spray paint if your too proper for tape...

The guy came up with an ingenious solution to a problem, and wanted to share it as a possible solution for others, and your shitting all over him with some sort of superiority complex
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2015, 04:51 AM   #13
Waspo
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icekube View Post
did he say a crushed drinks can?

no, he didn't. all it would look like is a black cylinder, half the height of can?. use spray paint if your too proper for tape...

The guy came up with an ingenious solution to a problem, and wanted to share it as a possible solution for others, and your shitting all over him with some sort of superiority complex
Whatever Kube, i am not nit picking what he said with you. If you want a crushed/cut coke (BTW HE DID SAT A DRINKS CAN!) can with tape and/or paint in your car, you go for it I am sure it will look..... errrrrr good???? (NOT)

Me, I'd rather pay for a professional Brodit product. Probably as i am English and not Tight! Thats a funny BTW !!

I am entitled to my opinion and this is a public forum and i am free to say what i want as long as it does not counter any rules set by the Mods, which all means i have no superiority complex, just means i have taste!

If you or anyone on here can't take a bit of ribbing, then go find a forum where everyone loves everyone else
      05-21-2015, 11:12 AM   #14
andysat
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e93

Tbh tho-you don't buy a premium brand car then cut cans up do you??
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2015, 11:45 AM   #15
alzieboy
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E350 CDi Coupe

Can you use a Red Bull can instead ,for that little extra ooooomph
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2015, 02:13 PM   #16
Ao1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Here is the offending article.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-21-2015, 02:17 PM   #17
Waspo
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:
Here is the offending article.
Admittedly it is better than i had conjured up in my head, but forgive me if i say "Not for me", and i applaud your Blue Peter style endeavour!

But..........................Give me Brodit Pro Clip and Brodit mount anytime!

If that makes me a superior Climax (Sorry Complex) then so be it.
      05-21-2015, 02:49 PM   #18
JM85
Captain
Rep
Drives: EBII F30 + AW E90

Im with Waspo on this one, surely you would just buy one of these

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/140609935066?_mwBanner=1
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2015, 02:34 AM   #19
Calluhan
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 640D Gran Coupe

Take a look at mine mate:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1105836

I'll take more pics if you would like to see how it's mounted (using brodit and a small self-fabricated piece of aluminium for 99p lol)

Totally removeable and no trace once removed.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2015, 12:27 AM   #20
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

Great ideas. Thanks for sharing. I have ordered a spider mount. The kids are frightened by it but it seems to be working. A drinks can mount thing is also on order from Amazon so I will try that out too when it arrives. Love the idea of the pro-clip but need something to mount the Nav on to that... and that is where I got stuck so did not follow it up.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2015, 01:59 AM   #21
dest
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: LCI E91 320d M Sport

Id rather use the coke can method than have some bit of tat stuck to the screen or dash!
However, this is the exact reason I wanted idrive, as I refuse to have a sat nav stuck somewhere its not meant to be
Appreciate 0