E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Basic additions to your car to make for a decent RWYB track day

05-21-2019, 06:16 PM   #1
johnscales
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i MSport

Basic additions to your car to make for a decent RWYB track day

So whilst modding my car and coming to the conclusion that there's really no place to use the additional power outside of a track/drag strip I was wondering what those of you whom have tract your DD's have changed to improve performance and handling.
I know that if you wanted to take it seriously you could make yourself flat broke real quick but Is it possible to do it without burning a big hole in your pocket in parts for say, a couple of times a year or is simply a case of you pays through your nose you play.
If anyone knows of places that run these events at a reasonable/affordable price post it here.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 06:41 PM   #2
Chappers 71
Major General
Rep
Drives: Beige G31 40ix m sport

Garage List
I spent £1,200 on go faster stuff, quantum remap, JFA gearbox map, mishimoto intercooler, K&N drop in filter. With those I was running low 13s best was a 13.2 best terminal speed 109.6mph.
I have since added a VRSF charge pipe, & have had to renew the tubs.
I haven't run it successfully since, I took a trip up a while back but it was a cold day & I couldn't get any power down, one run I had wheelspin for the entire 1/4 & the queue was painfully slow, only got 3 runs in from 9-12:30 so I went home with the hump. All my times were in the 14s

Am confident that with a sticky track it'll run high 12s
E34 3.6 M5. E34 525i sport.
VW Jetta Mk2 GTI 16v. 1679cc 1967 resto-cal beetle
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 06:36 PM   #3
johnscales
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i MSport

Hi Chappers.

That'll be Santapod then at a guess?
Yeah, gotta get myself there some day. My guess is that's going to be the most known and possibly best priced strip going.
What about full on tracks though?
Beginning to think it's just not done in Uk but don't know why not.
If I owned a sizable chunk of land somewhere i'd make a mint out of car fans of every platform.
Appreciate 1
      05-23-2019, 05:52 AM   #4
RajB
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Well I guess it really depends on how much you want to do/spend.

I would strongly recommend sorting the brakes as the very first port of call. The standard ones will not stand up to track work in standard guise. You will need at minimum better discs/pads and maybe better hoses and fluid. But then if you have a bigger budget you could replace the calipers etc too.

Suspension is the next thing I'd do. A set of coilovers can improve things hugely but if budget doesn't stretch then a set of decent springs would be a start and see how it goes.

Performance upgrades are irrelevant if the chassis can't handle the current power available properly. But then having said that you may find that common issues like limp mode due to oil temps etc might mean you need to sort those out too.

I think if you get the brakes sorted and try a day out and see how it goes and that will potentially highlight the areas you need to concentrate on.
      05-23-2019, 07:52 AM   #5
Chappers 71
Major General
Rep
Drives: Beige G31 40ix m sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnscales View Post
Hi Chappers.

That'll be Santapod then at a guess?
Yeah, gotta get myself there some day. My guess is that's going to be the most known and possibly best priced strip going.
If I owned a sizable chunk of land somewhere i'd make a mint out of car fans of every platform.
Yeah Santa Pod, I’ve had a few laps around Lydden Hill a couple of years back, oil temp got a little high but no limp mode & the brakes performed well enough, am running ceramic pads, maybe if tracking was a regular thing I’d run ceramic pads with performance brake fluid at the very least.
Suspension wise I didn't spend much, just added Apex springs to the Sachs sport shocks, it handles well enough although the ride can be a tad choppy with the 19s.
It all depends on how far you wanna go & how much money you want to put into it.
E34 3.6 M5. E34 525i sport.
VW Jetta Mk2 GTI 16v. 1679cc 1967 resto-cal beetle

Last edited by Chappers 71; 05-23-2019 at 03:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 03:05 AM   #6
Sir_Dave
Asset Finance Broker
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e91 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnscales View Post
There are trackdays most weeks throughout the UK, have a quick browse: https://www.msvtrackdays.com/car bear in mind thats only MSV direct, plenty of other indepedent organisers

For my recent day at Goodwood i simply serviced the car, put some 2nd hand PFC Z rated pads in and changed the fluid to Castrol Response Super Dot 4. No it wasnt the best handling thing ive ever driven on track, but it did the job and was pretty good fun! Brakes were ok, again, not amazing, but didnt fade on the 20 minute sessions i was doing. The Bilstein B12 kit i have in the shed will improve things no end for next time round im sure.

Biggest mistake most "trackday" people make is spending a fortune on upgrades for their "trackcar" before even driving it on a track to work out what needs fixing
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 12:36 PM   #7
AD18
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Azurite Black E92 335i DCT

I did some novice events with MSV, car was plenty fast enough standard, however brakes aren't up to the job. As I only wanted to do the odd event I decided not to spend loads. I upgraded the pads to EBC yellowstuff which were ok for just the odd go but there are far better options. For brake fluid I used Motul RBF600 which I found great, no soft pedal throughout the day, its pretty cheap and I left it in the lines for normal commuting until it was time for a service.
That was enough for me to have plenty of fun.

For reference, the first time I went on with completely standard pads and fluid thinking it would all be fine. Pedal went to the floor within one lap (and I wasn't even going that fast) and although pads surprisingly held up, I would go for something that can handle those higher temps, I learnt my lesson.

Have fun.
Appreciate 0