E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Rough Idle, stumbling rpms

12-22-2011, 05:41 PM   #67
scottro
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E70 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxipad96 View Post
I have the same issue when the car is at a stop. You can feel a slight bump. Hasn't thrown a code yet and occurred about 2 weeks after I installed all new Bosch plugs and had an oil change.
Funny you mention that. I noticed mine too just a few weeks after installing new Bosch plugs. However, I did it at about the same time the weather started getting much cooler out, so I can't say for certain it's the plugs.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 03:33 PM   #68
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi 6spd Coupe

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Last week, I had some really rough idles at start up in the morning (it was cold out.)

I left the car idling the first couple times, and it seemed to get better once warm, but Friday morning, I fired it up and the car was WAY worse. Bumping all over the place. Tried to put it in gear and pull out of the driveway, and the car was halting and jerking like crazy. Felt like it was badly misfiring. Threw a code, but I couldn't get my scanner to get a reading (which was weird).

Anyways, had the car towed in and they've replaced 2 injectors. They're going to keep it overnight and do a cold start in the AM and have all the adaptation settings reset.

Anyone think this was my long lasting rough idle issue? I want to believe, but I'm guessing it's probably not it.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2012, 10:53 AM   #69
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
Rep

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Got the car back last night. No rough idle driving it home, or to the office this morning. The tech did reset adaptations after replacing the two leaking injectors.

I doubt the issue is gone, but so far, no trouble.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 08:11 AM   #70
MERLIN335i
Brigadier General
England
Rep
Drives: Gone: E92 M3 Competition Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD Addict View Post
Got the car back last night. No rough idle driving it home, or to the office this morning. The tech did reset adaptations after replacing the two leaking injectors.

I doubt the issue is gone, but so far, no trouble.

Is it still OK ???????
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 03:07 PM   #71
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
Rep

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Had a couple little blips at redlights yesterday, but nothign like it was before. It's either slowly coming back, or dramatically reduced, but not gone.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2012, 05:11 PM   #72
335i E92
Captain
Rep
Drives: M22

Quote:
Had a couple little blips at redlights yesterday, but nothign like it was before. It's either slowly coming back, or dramatically reduced, but not gone.
How's it now after a couple of days??
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 11:11 AM   #73
reiss91
Rep
Drives: tacoma

Had a car come in to the dealer with a rough idle during cold start. Turns out his valve cover was cracked near the pcv part. Not likely but worth checking if yours is cracked
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 12:24 PM   #74
BarefootManiac
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i Breakneck Metal

Glad to know I'm not alone on this issue.

Like most of what I have read and searched about on this issue, the hiccuping in the idle of my 335 occurred after replacing the spark plugs at 42k miles. So far, it has been 2 months since this problem began and 3 visits to the dealership. I'm about to drop it off for the fourth time and tell them to keep the car until the problem is fixed.

Work done during every visit:

1st visit: Replace 2 fuel injectors

2nd visit: Cleaned and tested all 6 fuel injectors, checked spark plugs, and replace the valve cover (they found a hairline fracture on it and thought that was the culprit... nope)

3rd visit: The dealership had a BMW Rep from the factory come-by and look at it. The Rep stated the car has a "Defibrillation like-effect" which occurs when the idle is too low to prevent it from stalling out. The noticeable hiccup in the idling is the "Defibrillator" kicking in. Their theory was to reset the ECU, update software, and set the idle RPM at 700rpm instead of 600rpm (Note: I have a manual trans. and manual tends to idle lower than autos).

I'm not 100% sold on the "Defibrillation" theory. It sound logical but then again it can be BS.

My conclusion to their theory from the 3rd visit is the car still has the hiccups, although, it is not as noticeable due of the higher idle setting, plus the intervals between each hiccup are more apart or less frequent. I feel this only masks the problem instead of solving it.

Rwah ah ah... I just don't understand why a simple procedure like changing the spark plugs (in my case that is) would cause the car to act in such a way.
      01-16-2012, 12:29 PM   #75
BarefootManiac
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by reiss91 View Post
Had a car come in to the dealer with a rough idle during cold start. Turns out his valve cover was cracked near the pcv part. Not likely but worth checking if yours is cracked
Yeah, they found this on my car, and replaced the cover. The problem still exist tho.
      01-16-2012, 12:59 PM   #76
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
Rep

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
You can tell them to keep it until it's fixed, but that won't change the fact they don't know wtf is wrong.

My car's literally been in dozens of times for this. Still got it.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 01:54 PM   #77
335iLondon
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07' 335i Msport

I have had a slight idle stumble for the last few months.
Read elsewhere the golf tee mod has an effect.
Pulled the plug on the fuse and the sumble at idle is greatly diminished.
This maybe happy coincidence, but though I would see if anyone had or has the same after trying.

Re the defib line, it makes sense, the car is fine (im 6MT) with a brush on the gas pedal. Get the revs to 900 and its good as gold.
I think its something to do with the idle set too low from a laymans POV.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 03:33 PM   #78
BarefootManiac
Private
Rep

Quote:
You can tell them to keep it until it's fixed, but that won't change the fact they don't know wtf is wrong.

My car's literally been in dozens of times for this. Still got it.

I see you have been dealing with this problem for some time now, and probably highly annoyed with it. Have you taken your car to another shop for a second option?

I will take my car to the same shop for the fourth time (within two months), and I am more than positive the problem will still exist afterwards. If it does, then I'm going to another shop that has higher reputation for experience techs. Someone out there has the solution for the fix. I mean, C'mon, this didn't exist on my car until they changed the f'in plugs. This is simple mechanical 101 sh*t!

As long as the car is still under warranty, I don't care how many times I take it in. For the money "we all" pay to enjoy these cars, this should not be happening.
      01-16-2012, 03:38 PM   #79
BarefootManiac
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335iLondon View Post
I have had a slight idle stumble for the last few months.
Read elsewhere the golf tee mod has an effect.
Pulled the plug on the fuse and the sumble at idle is greatly diminished.
This maybe happy coincidence, but though I would see if anyone had or has the same after trying.

Re the defib line, it makes sense, the car is fine (im 6MT) with a brush on the gas pedal. Get the revs to 900 and its good as gold.
I think its something to do with the idle set too low from a laymans POV.
What is this "golf tee mod" you speak of?
      01-16-2012, 03:41 PM   #80
BarefootManiac
Private
Rep

Is there anyone with an Auto Trans. dealing with this problem?
      01-17-2012, 10:02 AM   #81
MERLIN335i
Brigadier General
England
Rep
Drives: Gone: E92 M3 Competition Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarefootManiac View Post
Very good question !

As far as I can see all those that give transmission data in their profile, who have posted on this thread are 6MT.

So anyone have this problem with auto box ????????????
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 10:52 AM   #82
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
Rep

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MERLIN335i View Post
Very good question !

As far as I can see all those that give transmission data in their profile, who have posted on this thread are 6MT.

So anyone have this problem with auto box ????????????
The consistency of occurrences related to plug swaps is also interesting.

What does BMW use for replacement? Bosch?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 10:54 AM   #83
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
Rep

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
I see you have been dealing with this problem for some time now, and probably highly annoyed with it. Have you taken your car to another shop for a second option?
Honestly, there's no way I'd start this over again with a new dealer, and have to recover all the ground that's already been covered. My SA and service department have been excellent in trying to figure this out. They're proactive, responsive, and take great care of me. It's not their fault this issue exists, they're just the one's being charged with figuring it out.

So, no. I'll stick with my current team.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 03:45 PM   #84
335i E92
Captain
Rep
Drives: M22

There is a definite connection to the spark plugs being changed as that's exactly when I inherited the rough idle shakes an shivers. Its got to be software related as between us we've had everything swapped out including inlet valve cleaning. It seems when the car gets too used to the gap on old plugs it struggles to readjust when the new set goes in.

I've had every adaptation reset with no improvement, it also strange that it just a rough idle for us all n no boost misfires. If we all keep digging we'll get there soon enough!!
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 08:54 PM   #85
JO3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a lot

I got my plugs, injectors and HPFP replaced at the same time, and my rough idle started after that. I was starting to think that it was the new version of software they loaded as part of the HPFP recall. Is everyone here running that version?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 09:03 PM   #86
335iSSA
Captain
Poland
Rep
Drives: 07' E92 335i

Quote:
Unfortunately yes. I've noticed the problem is worse when it's cold out. I have a 2007 E92, no engine mods, had the HPFP replaced a 6 weeks ago, have almost 10K on the current plugs. It is disconcerting when it really jumps isn't it. This is a weekend car so I don't put a lot of miles on it. I noticed a ticking noise from the engine bay just in front of the driver, perhaps it's a throttle body issue? Dirty or faulty all together?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 04:31 PM   #87
n54door
Banned
Rep
Drives: 09' 135i 6AT FBO - MHD Tuned

Here's a thought guys...

Oil vapors atomize in the cylinders, and blows through the intake system and coats our valves with gunk - we all know this and we've seen the pics of the valves

However, has anyone taken a look at the injectors to see if they are also covered with any amount of gunk?

I came from an Impreza STI before I got my 335, and if you don't already know, blow-by is an inherant issue with turbo cars but was extremely problematic with STi's (even with a catch can).

During one of my engine builds, I inspected my valves and yes they were coated with gunk just like our 335's, but I also noticed all four injectors were covered in gunk too. This caused a lean condition and random misfires.

Now, I don't know what these injectors look like or if these is possible with a DI engine but it is worth noting that atomized oil can solidify on the injectors over time.

Has anyone in here seen a set of injectors after 50k miles or so, or has anyone tried running some injector cleaner through (for injectors, I understand it does not touch the valves in a DI engine) to see if it helps the issue here?
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2012, 05:46 PM   #88
M3E46M
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i E92 6 MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335iSSA View Post
Unfortunately yes. I've noticed the problem is worse when it's cold out. I have a 2007 E92, no engine mods, had the HPFP replaced a 6 weeks ago, have almost 10K on the current plugs. It is disconcerting when it really jumps isn't it. This is a weekend car so I don't put a lot of miles on it. I noticed a ticking noise from the engine bay just in front of the driver, perhaps it's a throttle body issue? Dirty or faulty all together?
I had the same issue it was a bad injector but could be number of problems. If the Engine light is on see what code you getting. It will tell you which cylinder is misfiring. A generic ODB II scanner will do. Once you find which cylinder, then do the follwing:

Swap the plugs with another cylinder and the coils with a different. Then see if the problem migrates if it doesn't then it's your injector. If it does then you either know if its a plug or a coil.

Thats it.
Mine was a bad injector. There is a recall on the injectors, don't know how public it is but I had 3 replaced. I say if you are under warranty go to the dealer and replace all of them if they can.

.../// TURBO! Why in the world would you choose anything else?... ///
Appreciate 0