E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Help me troubleshoot my 2 cycle engine

08-24-2012, 10:56 AM   #1
drfrink24
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi

Help me troubleshoot my 2 cycle engine

Husky 128LD trimmer

Background:
Only used 1 year, ran flawlessly for that year, until it fell off its wall hanger during a storm. It didn't run very well after that, discovered that the plug had cracked. New plug, never would start/run after that. Will not even start with starter fluid, won't even fire/putter, not a single ignition whatsoever.

What I've done:
Replaced spark plug, w/correct gap
Tested spark with spark tester, will arc over 3/4 inch
Replaced ignition module

Ideas?
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2012, 12:11 PM   #2
Seminole
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Red Flyer

Garage List
2008 E90 328i  [7.00]
Buy a new one?
      08-24-2012, 12:16 PM   #3
Lagger1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: valvetronic engaged

All 2 strokes are is air/spark/fuel. If you're missing one of those things, you're gonna have a bad time...

Your spark looks good, doubt its' the air. Dump out all fuel, put in all fresh & make sure a line's not pinched, etc. Check your carb, may be flooding.

Appreciate 0
      08-24-2012, 12:38 PM   #4
passing
hey
Tanzania
Rep
Drives: caprice wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seminole View Post
Buy a new one?
have you no value of anything? when your car needs spark plugs because its running poorly, do you just buy a new one?

OP- i have the same issue with my chainsaw. i took it apart and found that i had damaged the fuel feed to the carb. replaced and it runs like new.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2012, 12:47 PM   #5
drfrink24
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by passing View Post
have you no value of anything? when your car needs spark plugs because its running poorly, do you just buy a new one?

OP- i have the same issue with my chainsaw. i took it apart and found that i had damaged the fuel feed to the carb. replaced and it runs like new.
It won't even fire with starter fluid directly in the cylinder though, the plug will be saturated with fuel after trying to start it for a few minutes. When I say it won't fire, I literally mean it won't ignite the mixture whatsoever.

The reason I replaced the ignition module is that I thought the spark wasn't timing correctly. I've also ensured I have the correct gap between the flywheel and the ignition module.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2012, 12:50 PM   #6
drfrink24
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Buy a new one?
I like to tinker and learn... but yes, one could argue that would have been more efficient, as I've now spent $45 and time/hassle, which could have gone to a new trimmer.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2012, 02:20 PM   #7
Seminole
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Red Flyer

Garage List
2008 E90 328i  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by passing View Post

We're talking about a $120 weed whacker not a $40,000 car.... Your comparison makes no sense.

He's already spent money searching for a fix and it still won't work. I'll fix something myself or pay to have it fixed if I know what is wrong and it makes economical sense. What's the point of continuing to throw more money into a broken weed whacker when a new one costs so little? By the time he figures out what is broken and fixes it he'll have spent as much as a new one costs.
      08-24-2012, 02:21 PM   #8
mike the snake
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

You might have sheered the woodruff key on the flywheel when it fell. This will allow the flywheel to spin on the crank, making the timing so far off that it won't fire, even if you still have spark.

Also, check the throttle and choke. When it fell, it might have damaged the throttle cable, or bent the choke shaft (he he, he said choke shaft).
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2012, 02:30 PM   #9
passing
hey
Tanzania
Rep
Drives: caprice wagon

Quote:
We're talking about a $120 weed whacker not a $40,000 car.... Your comparison makes no sense.

He's already spent money searching for a fix and it still won't work. I'll fix something myself or pay to have it fixed if I know what is wrong and it makes economical sense. What's the point of continuing to throw more money into a broken weed whacker when a new one costs so little? By the time he figures out what is broken and fixes it he'll have spent as much as a new one costs.
all hail the mighty know it all who is made of money with his fleet of family cars
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2012, 02:53 PM   #10
drfrink24
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike the snake View Post
You might have sheered the woodruff key on the flywheel when it fell. This will allow the flywheel to spin on the crank, making the timing so far off that it won't fire, even if you still have spark.

Also, check the throttle and choke. When it fell, it might have damaged the throttle cable, or bent the choke shaft (he he, he said choke shaft).
The flywheel appears to be solidly attached to the crankshaft, it also appears that the ignition and magnets on the flywheel come into contact just before TDC, however, there is a prominent "click" nowhere near TDC...
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2012, 10:48 PM   #11
adriang
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X2

When you replaced the spark plug did u push the piston all the way down?
Check inside the cylinder if its not damaged? Maybe losing compression?
try putting in a bit of fuel in the carburetor?

Last edited by adriang; 08-24-2012 at 10:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2012, 12:02 AM   #12
MisterSkiMask
Banned
Rep
Drives: I Can not say

I suspect the fall and the running problem are unrelated. If you leave premix in a carb for any length of time it will gum it up and it won't run right. You need to take the carb apart and clean it, or take it to a tool shop and let them do it. in the future, when you are done using it dump the gas out of the tank then run the engine until it dies, then try to start it again. When it won't start again you are ready to put it away.

Also, if its a newer tool it will have a fine mesh over the exhaust, it will get clogged and need cleaning.

Last edited by MisterSkiMask; 08-25-2012 at 12:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2012, 12:51 PM   #13
drfrink24
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterSkiMask
I suspect the fall and the running problem are unrelated. If you leave premix in a carb for any length of time it will gum it up and it won't run right. You need to take the carb apart and clean it, or take it to a tool shop and let them do it. in the future, when you are done using it dump the gas out of the tank then run the engine until it dies, then try to start it again. When it won't start again you are ready to put it away.

Also, if its a newer tool it will have a fine mesh over the exhaust, it will get clogged and need cleaning.
Doesn't even run with starter fluid directly in cylinder, not even a sniff of ignition, also, fuel is wet on the plug normally. Strong spark.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2012, 03:22 PM   #14
MisterSkiMask
Banned
Rep
Drives: I Can not say

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfrink24 View Post
Doesn't even run with starter fluid directly in cylinder, not even a sniff of ignition, also, fuel is wet on the plug normally. Strong spark.
So, spark isn't the problem, lack of fuel isn't the problem, appropriate mixture of air and fuel is.

Carb and exhaust, check them out.

Edit: A pool of starter fluid is not good either, it is intended to be a mist when it is used. Spraying starter fluid in the cyl then putting the spark plug in and pulling the cord is no good.
Appreciate 0