E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Diagnose my issue: N52 Fluctuating Power

05-15-2010, 03:55 PM   #23
e90ben
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: No more Beemer

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90pilot View Post
With a TPS, you'll get a code usually when it sends a null value to the ECU when it's not supposed to. If it's sending data, it's really hard for a computer to figure out if the data is bad. Programmers usually put limits to data parameters so once they exceed set values the computer assumes it's an error. If the data remains within the set values the car will not report any problems even though the might exist.
Great info!

Anyone know what the part # for a TPS is? Ive looked and all I could find was the entire Throttle Body Assembly.

BTW: e90pilot shouldnt you be getting your car tuned and dyoned today?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2010, 08:28 PM   #24
e90pilot
Freight Dawg
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Yup got it tuned! Throttle issue GONE! I'll post the dyno sheets tomorrow night.
'06 Arctic Metallic 325i | Sport Package | 6MT | Dinan Stage III suspension | Dinan exhaust | 330i manifold swap! Click here! | Active Autowerke tune | 135i Brake Calipers | Deiselboost caliper brackets | E46 M3 front rotors
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2010, 10:37 AM   #25
CraneE90
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i Msport

E90 Ben - Good updated Ben! i have a 330 msport Auto and having the same issues as you! seem this is a big issue with these cars and no one knows the solution!

I have had new plugs / filters and thats not fixed it. mine hits dead spots at low revs - ie when i pull away from a round about and i have to releaser the throttle and re apply to get the power back.

Have u managed yo completey cure yours yet?
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2010, 03:51 PM   #26
e90ben
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraneE90 View Post
E90 Ben - Good updated Ben! i have a 330 msport Auto and having the same issues as you! seem this is a big issue with these cars and no one knows the solution!

I have had new plugs / filters and thats not fixed it. mine hits dead spots at low revs - ie when i pull away from a round about and i have to releaser the throttle and re apply to get the power back.

Have u managed yo completey cure yours yet?

Havent had time to take it to the dealer, so I still have the issue.

I've been able to put a few more miles and here are the coles notes of the symptoms and its Ive replaced.

Replaced:
Valvetronic motor- No fix
Air Filter- No Fix
Charcoal Filter- No Fix
Fuel Injector Cleaner- No Fix

Symptoms:

Light throttle pressure to maintain with speed with traffic- slight stutter
1/2 throttle- feels like a misfire
WOT- Nothing

I still think its the TPS or Pedal Pressure sensor due to the fact the misfiring or stuttering disappears if I set the cruise control.

The thing that makes it all a guessing game, is sometimes its really evident and sometimes its not even there...
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2010, 07:03 PM   #27
shane_lee70
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

I am having the same issues with my 2006 325i. I didnt notice the problem until after I installed my powerbox and AFE intake. Im also getting two P0172 system too rich(bank one) codes. Im going to try and see if the fuel injector cleaner does the trick. Ive checked and re-checked the vacuum on the intake and its good to go, cleaned the MAF sensor multiple times and am about to re-open my ECU and take pics so the manufacturer can check my install work.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2010, 09:05 PM   #28
e90pilot
Freight Dawg
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90ben View Post
Havent had time to take it to the dealer, so I still have the issue.

I've been able to put a few more miles and here are the coles notes of the symptoms and its Ive replaced.

Replaced:
Valvetronic motor- No fix
Air Filter- No Fix
Charcoal Filter- No Fix
Fuel Injector Cleaner- No Fix

Symptoms:

Light throttle pressure to maintain with speed with traffic- slight stutter
1/2 throttle- feels like a misfire
WOT- Nothing

I still think its the TPS or Pedal Pressure sensor due to the fact the misfiring or stuttering disappears if I set the cruise control.

The thing that makes it all a guessing game, is sometimes its really evident and sometimes its not even there...
I don't think it's TPS. The butterfly valve on all the valtronic cars goes to the full open position once the engine is running. Then again, I'm not a mechanic. Since you have a valid issue, you can ask the dealer to reprogram the car to the latest software version. Just remember to ask or suggeste that to them and not demand it from them. If they do reprogram, you should ask them to resest all the learned parameters to default.
'06 Arctic Metallic 325i | Sport Package | 6MT | Dinan Stage III suspension | Dinan exhaust | 330i manifold swap! Click here! | Active Autowerke tune | 135i Brake Calipers | Deiselboost caliper brackets | E46 M3 front rotors
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2010, 09:33 PM   #29
e90ben
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I don't think it's TPS. The butterfly valve on all the valtronic cars goes to the full open position once the engine is running. Then again, I'm not a mechanic. Since you have a valid issue, you can ask the dealer to reprogram the car to the latest software version. Just remember to ask or suggeste that to them and not demand it from them. If they do reprogram, you should ask them to resest all the learned parameters to default.
Good Suggestion, I have an appointment with them on monday.

Here's the list of things I think it is

TPS/PPS
Vanos
Sticky Brakes

Update:

Got a call from BJ BMW, and they told me they are refunding me all the $$ I paid to have the valvetronic motor replaced!

Seems like their warranty department or BMWNA stepped in and decieded 1 month later that it is covered under CPO
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2010, 08:03 PM   #30
e90ben
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Update:

OMG!

Turns out my car has a BMS Powerbox installed.

My SA called me to tell me that they finally figured out what could be causing the issue.

1) Faulty Pedal position sensor
2) BMS Powerbox.

Im skeptical that it is #2, but here's where things get interesting.

When he called me, and told me that they found it I assumed that he would void my warranty. Nope, He told me if they remove it for me he would not void it.

At this point, I just want a car that runs with no issues.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2010, 10:45 PM   #31
e90pilot
Freight Dawg
United_States
Rep

I'm almost positive it's the box. If the throttle is too aggresive that happens. It's exactly the same as what happened to mine except mine was programmed into the ECU.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2010, 10:48 PM   #32
Gavin@MMW
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: MMW Supercharged E90 328i

they sold you a car with a powerbox in it?

technically thats a huge liability if they did and you should make a stink about it and get free goodies lol

Quote:
Update:

OMG!

My SA called me to tell me that they finally figured out what could be causing the issue.

1) Faulty Pedal position sensor
2) BMS Powerbox.

Im skeptical that it is #2, but here's where things get interesting.

When he called me, and told me that they found it I assumed that he would void my warranty. Nope, He told me if they remove it for me he would not void it.

At this point, I just want a car that runs with no issues.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2010, 09:02 AM   #33
Chewy734
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i ZPP, ZSP

I don't think a powerbox would cause the issues you have... but yeah, that's quite an oversight from the dealer.
      06-02-2010, 11:15 AM   #34
e90ben
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I'm almost positive it's the box. If the throttle is too aggresive that happens. It's exactly the same as what happened to mine except mine was programmed into the ECU.
I remember your thread.

Has the Gitani tune fixed the issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craven 328
they sold you a car with a powerbox in it?

technically thats a huge liability if they did and you should make a stink about it and get free goodies lol
I bought the car from a private sale...I wish I could go back to the original owner and get some $$ back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy734
I don't think a powerbox would cause the issues you have... but yeah, that's quite an oversight from the dealer.
I hear you, but the dealer wont fix the pedal position sensor unless they remove it..
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2010, 06:15 PM   #35
CraneE90
Registered
Rep

Gents, Took my 330 in today and the mechanic is 99.99999999% sure its the MAF (mass air flow sensor) type this in google and you'll see all the symtoms - It seems this part is 2 or 3 hundred pounds so thankfully mines under warranty. I took a list of lots of problems that i found on this site and he said no to all of them apart from MAF. he also stated that that was the only fault on my list that shouldnt /wouldnt show up on diagnostics. Apparantly you can lose up to 20bhp from this. Its booked in for thursday 10th so wiill update you as to whether its corrected it. Google it see if these sypmtoms match yours.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2010, 12:54 AM   #36
e90pilot
Freight Dawg
United_States
Rep

Yes, e90ben, the Gintani tune fixed the problem.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2010, 03:06 AM   #37
bugsandry
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW e92 328xi

Hi e90 ben,, i have similar issues with my 330i. I am in Vancouver as well. We could meet to confirm if your symptom is same as mine..
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2010, 10:46 PM   #38
granadablanca
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330i, AP1

Quote:
Update:

OMG!

Stupid question - but how can I check whether mine does or not? I don't have have stuttering issues (based on these descriptions at least), but I do seem to get "no power" moments at lower revs, where it just feels completely bogged, and then suddenly surges to life at around 3500rpm. It is intermittent though.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2010, 11:36 PM   #39
Alexander
Mad tyte EuR0 style boooi <--- Joke
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30, E85, MKVI

I sold my 328i with the PBX still on Map 3... Did not give a flying f%$k. The dealer never checked, oh well.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2010, 10:11 AM   #40
CraneE90
Registered
Rep

Had a new MAF sensor put in today and this didnt solve the issue either -Next option theyre trying is to re program the ECU. E90ben/pilot - did the tune make a big difference to performace? what did it take the bHP to?
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2010, 01:43 PM   #41
e90pilot
Freight Dawg
United_States
Rep

I'm up to 218 HP to the wheels and 197ft-lbs of torque, but I have at 330 intake manifold.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2011, 07:37 AM   #42
temporarychicken
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330ci E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraneE90 View Post
Had a new MAF sensor put in today and this didnt solve the issue either -Next option theyre trying is to re program the ECU. E90ben/pilot - did the tune make a big difference to performace? what did it take the bHP to?
Sorry to bump an old thread, but what was the ultimate fix to the hesitation when taking off at low RPM?

I have this precise issue on a 2006 E92 330ci auto and it is driving me nuts. The car has 60k miles and I just got it.

Any info on what ultimately fixed the problem would be gratefully appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2011, 01:23 AM   #43
BRGmatthew
Bausman
United_States
Rep
Drives: around the block

Quote:
Originally Posted by temporarychicken View Post
Sorry to bump an old thread, but what was the ultimate fix to the hesitation when taking off at low RPM?

I have this precise issue on a 2006 E92 330ci auto and it is driving me nuts. The car has 60k miles and I just got it.

Any info on what ultimately fixed the problem would be gratefully appreciated.
+1 Same with me
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2011, 04:02 PM   #44
temporarychicken
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330ci E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimpax56 View Post
+1 Same with me
I have found a fix for this issue (on my car at least).

Here's what I did.

1. Pull all 6 plugs and 6 coils, eyeballed and decided all good. Two plugs had grown in gap from 1mm (40 thou) to about 1.2mm. I regapped them and put it all back together.
2. Started engine, revved it, problem still there, with stuttering going from idle to WOT, instead of clean instant rev up.
3. Disconnected MAF sensor whilst engine running. Revved it, problem still there.
4. With MAF still disconnected, switched off, then restarted. Revved it, sweet! problem gone.
5. Drove around the block with MAF still disconnected. After about 1 minute the yellow engine light came on on the dash. I think I forced the DME (eninge management) into open -loop mode (stored maps versus airflow correction feedback) Engine running sweet though!
6. Switched off, cleaned the MAF with carb cleaner spray, refitted and plugged back in.
7. Switched car on, now with MAF back in, still running great, but yellow engine light on
8. Drove the car for about 3-4 journeys over 2 days, running superbly throughout.
9. Suddenly during a drive on day 3, yellow engine light goes off!
10. No further problems with 4 more journeys from there on (touch wood).

I'm not sure if it was even the MAF that was the problem to be honest, I think that disconnecting itforced the car to go into open-loop mode and use stored maps, rather than using dynamic feedback, and learnt adaptation values. I think also this action may have forced learnt adaptation values to be wiped clean, but I'm guessing here as I don't have a BT tool.

However - the process seems to have worked a treat. Probably just a glitch in the DME learnt values that I have cleared via brute force and ignorance.

I looked in the cars history (just got the car) and 15k miles ago the previous owner had taken in into the main dealer and complained of "cutting out". They'd done a fault code scan and couldn't fault the car.... I imagine this fault has been around a while.

In an case, I recommend following steps 2 to 7, and forcing the car into open loop mode with the yellow engine light on. That way, if your issue is the same as mine (or similar) you might trick the DME into restting whatever learnt adaptation values are causing the rough running.
Appreciate 0