E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Alignment Spec of my car for reference (done by BMW alignment machine)

08-02-2006, 05:34 AM   #1
purity
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E90

Alignment Spec of my car for reference (done by BMW alignment machine)

I buy my Eibach Pro Kit Springs last week,and have the local shop where I buy the Eibach springs installed it.
When I ride with 4 people in the car,every time the car hit a pothole/bump, the rear of the car step out to the right,

at higher speed,it feels,that my car is about to spin.

I think something is wrong,cause the shop where I buy it usually install spring to Honda's or Toyota.So they have limited experience with BMW especially E90.
At first this is because of the non hubcentric spacer I put at the rear,so I take the spacer out,by my self.
But the problem is still there.So it is not the spacer.

While I am taking the spacer out,I notice/compare the bolt on the left and right rear swing arm (the one with adjustment on it),is not in the same position.
From "Ini" who write a thread about H&R spring DIY install (available in the DIY post of this forum),
I got the info that the bolt is for camber adjustment.(thank you "Ini" )

After that, I decide to check which BMW dealer in my area have the latest aligment equipment.After I found it,I go to them,and specifically ask them to make my alignment with maximum (still within tolerance) negative camber,and maximum toe in.I want to make my car as stable as possible.

It take them 3hours to align my car,and since I have some other minor complain about the key and headrest,plus regular service, I have to left the car overnight.

This afternoon,I pick up my car,and as soon as I drive it,I can feel huge difference in Handling.
The car just pointed where I want it to go.It is very stable,and do not wander around at all,even on uneven road.the steering is now very very responsive to my input (very immediate) but also feels that the cars is self centering it self all the time.
So,based on this,
I hope my alignment spec can help others who want a reference.

Here it is:

Rear Wheel Camber
Before Adjusment:
Left -1degree,10'
Right -0degree,31'
After Adjusment:
Left -2degree,07'
Right -2degree,03'

Rear Wheel Toe
Before Adjusment:
Left 0degree,59'
Right 1degree,21'
After Adjusment:
Left 0degree,05'
Right 0degree,02'

Front Wheel Camber
Before Adjusment:
Left -0degree,52'
Right -0degree,46'
After Adjusment:
Left -0degree,53'
Right -0degree,44'

Front Wheel Toe
Before Adjusment:
Left 0degree,11'
Right 0degree,11'
After Adjusment:
Left 0degree,11'
Right 0degree,11'

Front Wheel Caster
Before Adjusment:
Left 6degree,41'
Right 6degree,30'
After Adjusment:
Left 6degree,41'
Right 6degree,30'

For the front wheel there are other adjustment data such as
Differential Track Angle,Max Steering Lock on Curve Inside Wheel,SAI (I do not know the meaning of this SAI),and Setback.They even run measuring test on my spring length and position of the spring for each wheel,compare to their reference and print the result together with rest of the alignment print out.
But I do not put it here,because I think it is not really matter too much.

The print out on top say : BMW Kinematic System Diagnose.So this aligment machine is running on BMW specific software.The Software is updated on March 15'2006.I heard the model of this machine is Hunter 2 with infrared beam system.I do not know the brand though.For alignment they charge me about equivalent to US$40 already include 10% VAT

My current rims is style 160 17in.I am going to upgrade soon to 19in M5 replica.Hope my alignment is still within tolerance when I change my wheel size.

I know -2 degree of negative camber is quite a lot,but I am willing to sacrifice a little bit of thread wear,in exchange of the ultimate handling.Beside I do not drive my car very often,so when I drive it I want to feel as entertaining as possible.

and last I Hope this spec help.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2006, 09:59 AM   #2
ksfrogman
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330i 6MT

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Thanks!