E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Recall Notice received

07-10-2012, 02:52 PM   #133
kcgman
Burning the midnight oil
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by cssnms View Post
Mine took 5hrs and that included doing a few other things. Make sure the dealer has ALL of the parts before you drop your car off.
Mine took two days and was actually two recalls (one of which had only just come out a day or two before according to the dealer - I still haven't received the letter for that one). According to the dealer, they couldn't get parts in advance for the first recall because there were 3 possibilities and they wouldn't know what they need until the car arrived in the shop and they "start digging into the car." Sorry if that last part got too technical.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 06:36 PM   #134
GreekboyD
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335d

Garage List
2009 BMW 335d  [8.00]
Need help from the experts. How do I know that my ECU was updated for sure after the recall? I ask because I had coding done on my car months ago and it's still intact. Furthermore, wouldn't I have to sync my phone contacts (Bluetooth) again? My phones remains synced to my idrive when I got it back.

Is this software update such that the aforementioned are not affected?

This is what part of my invoice says:

"Tech 115 reprogrammed car, including CAS, rescanned after programming, reset steering angle sensor."

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 06:42 PM   #135
DieselDiner
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekboyD View Post
Need help from the experts. How do I know that my ECU was updated for sure after the recall? I ask because I had coding done on my car months ago and it's still intact. Furthermore, wouldn't I have to sync my phone contacts (Bluetooth) again? My phones remains synced to my idrive when I got it back.

Is this software update such that the aforementioned are not affected?

This is what part of my invoice says:

"Tech 115 reprogrammed car, including CAS, rescanned after programming, reset steering angle sensor."

Thanks!
This is very interesting. Is there any way to post up your invoice? There might be some part numbers for the programming that might help those who have had the EGR update to chime in. I'm still waiting to get mine done, so I have be on the sidelines for this discussion.
      07-10-2012, 07:08 PM   #136
GreekboyD
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 335d  [8.00]
I stand corrected guys. I was thrown off because my "v=speed" was still present but then I noticed that my other coded stuff like "idrive warning, door unlock upon key ejection, and folding mirrors upon locking" are all gone.

P.S. DD, you still need an invoice pic?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 09:52 PM   #137
kcgman
Burning the midnight oil
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekboyD View Post
I stand corrected guys. I was thrown off because my "v=speed" was still present but then I noticed that my other coded stuff like "idrive warning, door unlock upon key ejection, and folding mirrors upon locking" are all gone.

P.S. DD, you still need an invoice pic?
Same here regarding door locks, etc.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2012, 05:45 AM   #138
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue 335d

@greekboyD I got my car yesterday and it seemed more passive i also got their reflash and the only way to find out if I lost the RENNtech flash is to go dyno it. I will do so next week if possible at the same location Ive done it before. I drove the car harder this morning and maybe I hv the placebo effect, the only way is the Dyno way. Will keep you all posted
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2012, 06:09 AM   #139
GreekboyD
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 335d  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puerto Rican 335d View Post
@greekboyD I got my car yesterday and it seemed more passive i also got their reflash and the only way to find out if I lost the RENNtech flash is to go dyno it. I will do so next week if possible at the same location Ive done it before. I drove the car harder this morning and maybe I hv the placebo effect, the only way is the Dyno way. Will keep you all posted
I'm pretty sure your tune was wiped out for sure man.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2012, 08:09 AM   #140
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep

Already contacted RENNtech and will be flying there in a couple of weeks
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2012, 11:31 AM   #141
Jhayd11
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335D

2009 e90 335D recall invoice

Here is my invoice for my 2009 e90 335D (USA). Two recalls were done.

I have redacted some information on other requests I made at service and some PII.

Let me know if this helps and if you have any questions.

Glad I did this just 2k before my warranty expires and I start messing with the car myself.

Cheers,

Justin
Washington, DC area.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Recall Invoice.pdf (3.35 MB, 1284 views)
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 06:53 PM   #142
Kamando
Captain
Rep
Drives: -

2 months post recall now problems start

Today I received the 999 miles until no start, DEF warning. Funny thing is I have only gone 4,000miles since the last time the DEF was filled up. (way too soon to have used it up) On top of that the car threw an SES shortly after.

Looking back in hindsight here are some warning signs that popped up:

Yesterday while driving there was an awful, VERY STRONG, ammonia smell filling the interior. I have a sneaking suspicion that was a huge chunk of my DEF.

Prior to the cockpit fumes I had about 2 tanks of diesel where I was lucky if I reached 300miles before refilling. I even had a tank where I barely broke 20mpg. (The lowest I have ever seen).
-------------------------------------------------------

There were no power or drivability issues.

My car is at the dealership right now and I should have more info tomorrow. The service tech had a hunch that it is connected with the recent recall software programming but wouldn't elaborate.

I have never had any issue with the DEF system in the past. I just want to throw the warning out there so you guys can keep an eye out. Hopefully this isn't a problem caused by the recall that will start hitting our diesels en masse.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 07:32 PM   #143
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamando View Post
Today I received the 999 miles until no start, DEF warning. Funny thing is I have only gone 4,000miles since the last time the DEF was filled up. (way too soon to have used it up) On top of that the car threw an SES shortly after.

Looking back in hindsight here are some warning signs that popped up:

Yesterday while driving there was an awful, VERY STRONG, ammonia smell filling the interior. I have a sneaking suspicion that was a huge chunk of my DEF.

Prior to the cockpit fumes I had about 2 tanks of diesel where I was lucky if I reached 300miles before refilling. I even had a tank where I barely broke 20mpg. (The lowest I have ever seen).
-------------------------------------------------------

There were no power or drivability issues.

My car is at the dealership right now and I should have more info tomorrow. The service tech had a hunch that it is connected with the recent recall software programming but wouldn't elaborate.

I have never had any issue with the DEF system in the past. I just want to throw the warning out there so you guys can keep an eye out. Hopefully this isn't a problem caused by the recall that will start hitting our diesels en masse.
probably indicatesartial fill (active or passive tank but not both filled at last servicetransfer pump inop or lost primebad level sensorall have been documted.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 07:38 PM   #144
Kamando
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by taibanl

probably indicatesartial fill (active or passive tank but not both filled at last servicetransfer pump inop or lost primebad level sensorall have been documted.
Thanks, I'm glad it hit while I'm still in warranty.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 08:20 PM   #145
Kamando
Captain
Rep

Ended up being a bad metering valve. 3 Days later all is well for now.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 09:57 AM   #146
Ryebread
Diesel Fitter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335d m-sport LMB

Garage List
I'm in the philly burbs.
Dropped my car off today for it's first service since ownership.
purchased it about an hour away.
used a local dealer for service. main line in bala.

SA said the entire exhaust comes down, therefore, must let the exhaust cool down for several hours. = two day service.
she set me up with a free rental.
FTL, got a mini cooper.
it's such garbage, makes me appreciate my car so much more.

Last edited by Ryebread; 07-19-2012 at 11:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2012, 04:53 PM   #147
Ryebread
Diesel Fitter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335d m-sport LMB

Garage List
picked up the car today.
6 memory buttons are erased,
navigation addresses, music stations are still there, seat positions, etc.

Last edited by Ryebread; 07-21-2012 at 10:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2012, 09:55 PM   #148
BillyG335d
DIESEL POWER
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d

EGR recall

I dropped my d off on Thursday morning for the recall, oil change, cabin filter, wiper blades, and parking brake adjustment. I have had a buzzing noise coming from my rear right speaker on two occasions even after my stereo was turned off and car was turned off. Hopefully they will replace my stereo and amp so it doesn't continue to happen after my warranty expires. I received a 2013 X5 5.0 Twin Turbo V8 with 200 miles on the odemeter as my loaner and just found out they will need my car for at least 3 days. I'm not complaining! It's a nice car but the fuel mileage is horrible. 13mpg, with me driving conservative. I miss my diesel.
Titanium Silver painted Carbon-fiber trunk lid
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2012, 08:16 AM   #149
cssnms
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyG335d View Post
I dropped my d off on Thursday morning for the recall, oil change, cabin filter, wiper blades, and parking brake adjustment. I have had a buzzing noise coming from my rear right speaker on two occasions even after my stereo was turned off and car was turned off. Hopefully they will replace my stereo and amp so it doesn't continue to happen after my warranty expires. I received a 2013 X5 5.0 Twin Turbo V8 with 200 miles on the odemeter as my loaner and just found out they will need my car for at least 3 days. I'm not complaining! It's a nice car but the fuel mileage is horrible. 13mpg, with me driving conservative. I miss my diesel.
Hey Billy how are you doing? Going to Bimmerfest this year?
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2012, 08:44 AM   #150
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep

ok amigos I had my EGR and software doen at the dealer, I went last night for the dyno runs and this I did as told , DSC completely OFF, start on M2 thru M4 and floor it I came up with 253 whp, so YES the latest BMW flash did erase some of my RENNtech Flash which now I have to fly up to lakepark Fl in a couple of weeks to have bench flashed again and then Dyno again, in the mean time I will have installed the Koni FSDs, The execuhitch with Soft Ride Bike Rack, will keep everyone posted!!
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2012, 08:49 AM   #151
cssnms
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puerto Rican 335d View Post
ok amigos I had my EGR and software doen at the dealer, I went last night for the dyno runs and this I did as told , DSC completely OFF, start on M2 thru M4 and floor it I came up with 253 whp, so YES the latest BMW flash did erase some of my RENNtech Flash which now I have to fly up to lakepark Fl in a couple of weeks to have bench flashed again and then Dyno again, in the mean time I will have installed the Koni FSDs, The execuhitch with Soft Ride Bike Rack, will keep everyone posted!!
Ouch! Ya should've got the JBD Axel and you would be back in business already.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2012, 09:23 AM   #152
kcgman
Burning the midnight oil
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyG335d View Post
I have had a buzzing noise coming from my rear right speaker on two occasions even after my stereo was turned off and car was turned off. Hopefully they will replace my stereo and amp so it doesn't continue to happen after my warranty expires.
Same thing happened to me this week. I was getting back into my car on a super hot day (100 degree plus) after having parked in the sun for a bit over one hour. As I got in, I noticed some water on the top of my dashboard, in the right, front A/C vent and a little tiny drop in the "ashtray" looking thing just below the radio. I can't figure out how the water got there. My young son's water bottle was next to it in the cup holder, but I can't imagine how the water got from the bottle in the cup holder to the dashboard. My first thought was that something had happened behind the dashboard. That didn't quite explain how a bit of water got on top of my dashbard though. Anyway...

On the way home the left driver door speaker started to crackle, fizz and pop. Four minutes later, the rear passenger side speaker started to do the same. And about 2 minutes after that, all of the speakers were doing it (or at least so many that I couldn't distinguish one from another). I got into the garage, parked, turned off the engine, but they continued to snap, crackle and pop (and loudly) while the stereo was off.

I was concerned enough to call around to a couple of places to figure out how to shut down the stereo. The dealership said to remove the fuse, but there were 6 of them, several of which controlled a bunch of other stuff too. Another place said that the car doesn't actually fully power down for 20 minutes or so, and I did notice that when I left it alone for awhile the car did power down and the noise stopped. I checked 1 hour and 2 hours later and upon powering up the two front speaker did a quieter version of their earlier noise.

I was told that the following were possible sources of the problem: loose connection on one of the speakers that could be impacting all of the speaker or an amp in the truck going bad. Obviously the likely issue had to do with the water (albeit, a very little amount) that I found in the front of the car. I'm guessing that somehow got into the radio.

I rolled all of the windows down in the car and hoped that whatever water there might be in the radio would dry out. About 8 hours later, I started the car without any speaker noises occurring. The next morning everything seemed fine, and I haven't had any problems for the past 3 days. I'm guessing it was water shorting the speakers, but I just can't figure out how the water got back there if it was from my son's water bottle (if that was the source), or if there's anything that could leak water from the other side of the dashboard (but that wouldn't explain how I got a small puddling of water on the top of the dashboard itself). Odd.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2012, 02:09 PM   #153
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep

chris thanks but no thanks LOL
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2012, 10:32 PM   #154
Jhayd11
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335D

not even a week after my recall, "SES." BMW Assisted the info in, will find out what'g going on this week.
Appreciate 0