E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Had the pleasure of test driving a BMW X3 and Acura RDX.

03-18-2014, 11:34 PM   #1
CarReviewBMW
Rep
Drives: BMW 5

Had the pleasure of test driving a BMW X3 and Acura RDX.

2014 BMW X3 xDrive28i AWD (50,000 after tax/fees)

VS

2014 Acura RDX AWD with Technology Package(46,000 after tax/fees)

Exterior:
What can I say about the exterior of the X3? It's a conservative clever design. Well made but extremely outdated. I honestly felt like this was a car from 10 years ago instead of 2014. That being said, some people like old fashion and in many ways this car reminds me of a Buick. Conservative yet elegant in a elderly sort of way. The Acura RDX is also conservative like most Acuras are these days, but it does give off an image of 'bad girl' styling which the BMW X3 never had. Neither car is a winner in the looks department but both are passable.
Score:
RDX: 7/10
X3:6/10

Interior:
The X3 gives great leg room and is actually shockingly comfortable(for a BMW) and displays the right amount of luxury+finese. I personally loved the numerous small aspects of this car(roof design,handling bars,steering wheel curves)This really got me smiling and to me this is the best interior any BMW currently offers outside of the 7 Series. The Acura RDX goes toe to toe against the X3 and comes out even. The RDX offers the same level of comfort and leg room, great design, and wonderful luxury. Both cars kept it simple yet they did it right. Neither car have any advanced technology aspects that the everyday driver needs to learn, it's easy to use, and looks great on the inside.

Score:
X3:10/10
RDX:10/10

Performance:
These are luxury SUV'S so the performance is secondary in terms of importance. The X3 does deliver solid performance and is about as good of a 'driver's car' as you can get for a SUV. I was personally not a fan of the turning or steering because it felt too rugged and tight for my tastes(although I have been driving the best selling Lexus RX350 as my SUV so excuse me for being spoiled). The Acura RDX delivers better overall performance in that it felt more natural along the curves and turns. I never felt that I was going to fly off the road driving the RDX, sometimes I do get that feeling in the X3. Overall both are once again passable.
Score:
X3 7/10
RDX 7/10

Is it worth the money?

You can probably get an Acura RDX for around 46,000 USD, the X3 will be 5-6 K more expensive. Neither car is worth the money and I will not advice anyone here to buy either one. That being said, if I MUST choose one of these two SUV'S? My choice is the Acura RDX.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2014, 12:49 AM   #2
-Wingman-
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M-Sport

I disagree about the exterior styling commentary and ranking. I once owned a red X3 and I got a lot of looks. The car was literally a neckbreaker. Because of my red X3 and because racecar, I would give it a 10/10
Appreciate 0