E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - New England > body shop screwed me, need advice

04-30-2014, 04:29 PM   #1
zgresh
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F82 M4

body shop screwed me, need advice

So i ordered a m3 replica front bumper from K h o a l t y. Fitment was perfect, no problems whatsoever. I have little knowledge of the painting process, and went to the body shop to get a quote. the shop told me no problem, they would paint it for $250.00. Not bad i guess. Ive done business with them with my aero lip and my side skirts and have not had a problem whatsoever.

So, a couple days pass and i pick up the painted bumper. The guy told me it has been sitting for a few days and i should have no problem installing that afternoon. Got the bumper on, no problem at all. Didnt drive the car for a few days. Ever since, i have accumulated an unusual amount of rock chips. Where the bumper meets the rubber gasket by where you open the hood, the paint is completely separating from the plastic bumper. On my drivers side wheel arch, the paint is chipping clearly off of the edge. I have multiple rock chips that immediately become bigger whenever something touches their edges(keep in mind that i had an aero lip installed on my car ALL winter with all the sand and rocks and stuff- not one paint chip what so ever).

Long story short, i went to the body shop and asked what was going on...and he stated that it must be the company i ordered it from's fault, and that their primer must be bad. i email the company to figure out what was wrong and they told me their bumpers come UN-PRIMED. When i initially went into the shop for the quote, the guy made an exclamation that it had ALREADY BEEN PRIMED from his visual inspection and that he would only have to paint. So, the painter painted the bumper on an unprimed surface...the problem exactly.

Now, after a heated argument and after i caught him lying that the bumper was pre-primed, which it wasnt, he goes on to tell me the bumper is of shitty quality and that its my fault...? Then he tells me that the body shop applied their own "special sealant primer"...you just told me it was already primed and all you would have to do is paint it? They see products every day that need to be primed and painted, why didnt they see that this one was un-primed? And now that they made this mistake they blame it on me for bringing them a part that THEY AGREED to paint for me.

Im stuck here and im not sure how to argue my case. Being only 19 its hard to be authoritative with these guys that think they know everything. On a side note, when he came out to my car after the argument to "show me that it was already primed", he rubbed the edge of my bumper on wheel well and rubbed a large chunk paint off...lol.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2014, 04:41 PM   #2
rowingone
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330 xi

Call the BBB and make a complaint or get in touch with the owner of the body shop . . the fault is theirs so you should get it primed and repainted at no charge to you. They inspected the bumper and should have determined it needed to be primed.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2014, 07:21 PM   #3
SLOWER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 M3

Garage List
Where was this?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2014, 07:31 PM   #4
zgresh
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOWER View Post
Where was this?
W and W Auto Body in Westborough
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 07:28 AM   #5
dwells
ಠ_ಠ
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue 335i coupe

Did you pay with a credit card? If so, do a chargeback. I stopped using cash and debit a long time ago due to the protection that good credit cards provide.
      05-01-2014, 11:08 AM   #6
zero2sixtyZ
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 + f15

Garage List
Prime his face.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2014, 09:44 AM   #7
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Single Turbo N54 on Meth!

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
fucking body shops. I have used random ones and ALWAYS have been disappointed. I highly recommend finding one that is reputable. The one I use is in Waltham.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2014, 05:53 PM   #8
xichrisixBMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M328I & 2013 BMW 328i

Garage List
2016 328xi M  [0.00]
I run a BMW wholesale parts business; bring your car to Best Auto Body in Shrewsbury. They repair a ton of BMW's and they get it from word of mouth- good work!
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2014, 10:13 AM   #9
zgresh
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgrosse
I run a BMW wholesale parts business; bring your car to Best Auto Body in Shrewsbury. They repair a ton of BMW's and they get it from word of mouth- good work!
Thank you for the advice man. I will definitely check them out!