E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > " Metallic " noise coming from the rear of the car, rear axle failure?(video)

10-03-2011, 08:15 AM   #1
Elie335
ايلي ٣٣٥ هاهاها
St Pierre and Miquelon
Rep
Drives: Vorsteiner e92

Question " Metallic " noise coming from the rear of the car, rear axle failure?(video)

Hello fellas;

I've recently had an annoying/strange noise coming from the rear underneath of the car, the noise just shows up when:

1) Usually moving less than 10mph, mostly in forward more then reverse
2) Usually when it has been sitting in below 30degree temps for a while, or in the garage all night when it's that cold outside (but not in the garage).
3) Usually after it's been sitting off for a while
4) Doesn't do it EVERY time under each of the above conditions, pretty random
5) Stops doing it once the car is moving over 10mph

today I had the car REAR jacked up on a hydraulic stand jacks for inspection, everything looked fine, unless there's a strange voice coming from the rear axle, not sure if its normal, the sound comes whenever I move the wheel forward and backward, please check the video

20 seconds video:

Thanks
      10-03-2011, 10:03 AM   #2
Elie335
ايلي ٣٣٥ هاهاها
St Pierre and Miquelon
Rep

anyone please?
      10-03-2011, 03:12 PM   #3
e90pilot
Freight Dawg
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Where exactly is that coming from? The front of the diff or the wheel hub? I had an issue with this when my car was new. There wasn't enough packing grease in the driveshaft splines where it connected to the diff. The axels are splined just like the driveshaft so I'm guessing the same could happen to them too.
'06 Arctic Metallic 325i | Sport Package | 6MT | Dinan Stage III suspension | Dinan exhaust | 330i manifold swap! Click here! | Active Autowerke tune | 135i Brake Calipers | Deiselboost caliper brackets | E46 M3 front rotors
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2011, 03:36 PM   #4
Elie335
ايلي ٣٣٥ هاهاها
St Pierre and Miquelon
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90pilot View Post
Where exactly is that coming from? The front of the diff or the wheel hub? I had an issue with this when my car was new. There wasn't enough packing grease in the driveshaft splines where it connected to the diff. The axels are splined just like the driveshaft so I'm guessing the same could happen to them too.
Thanks for your inquiry sir;

The noise is coming from the axle that is connected to the differential part, its not the drive shaft...

the noise you had used to be audible in the same cases I wrote above?

Quote:
1) Usually moving less than 10mph, mostly in forward more then reverse
2) Usually when it has been sitting in below 30degree temps for a while, or in the garage all night when it's that cold outside (but not in the garage).
3) Usually after it's been sitting off for a while
4) Doesn't do it EVERY time under each of the above conditions, pretty random
5) Stops doing it once the car is moving over 10mph
      10-03-2011, 04:26 PM   #5
e90pilot
Freight Dawg
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Yes it was only low speed whenever I added gas or let off the gas. It was extremely subtle. It was pretty random but started to become regular.
'06 Arctic Metallic 325i | Sport Package | 6MT | Dinan Stage III suspension | Dinan exhaust | 330i manifold swap! Click here! | Active Autowerke tune | 135i Brake Calipers | Deiselboost caliper brackets | E46 M3 front rotors
Appreciate 0