Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Michelin Pilot sport A/S Plus vs Conti DWS

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

01-24-2013, 09:59 PM   #1
freshwater
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Jet Black Sports pkg

Michelin Pilot sport A/S Plus vs Conti DWS

Thinking of replacing my Conti DWS with Michelin Pilot sports A/S Plus.

Conti making lot of noise for last 10K miles. I think I have ~ 35K on them.

I like less noise so thinking of Michelin. They are All Season so might last Winters too..DWS were very good in Wet and Snow but soft on corners and a bit Noisy on the Hwy..

Anyone has any experience of using both of these brands..
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2013, 08:16 AM   #2
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

The Michelins are a tiny bit "sportier" IMO, but I have a set on another car that are pretty much at the wear bars and they've been quite noisy these last 10k miles as well. They also aren't as good in the snow as the DWS either. In either case, the Michelins are currently not worth the premium over some other options in this "all season" segment IMO.

What I would do is wait until Michelin releases the new version of this tire in the summer of this year:
http://www.michelinman.com/tire-sele...3/tire-details

Either that or maybe consider the Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS Pole Position as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2013, 09:58 AM   #3
rothwem
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 328i Wagon

Garage List
2009 BMW 328i  [0.00]
I've had both on my car. The DWS is quieter than the PS A/S+, and my mileage is better with the DWS's. The Michelins are a bit sharper feeling, but grip levels are about the same. The Michelins also feathered a bit after a few hard turns, and I was unable to swap them side to side to even out the wear. I got about 30k miles out of my set before I'd had enough. Once they started feathering, they got LOUD.

Of the two, I'd pick the DWS. With that said, there's a new Pilot Sport A/S 3 coming out, I'd like to try that tire out next.

EDIT: "feathering" is the wrong term to use. The tread blocks wore in a "sawtooth" pattern from front to back. Not sure what the right term is for that.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2013, 11:05 AM   #4
OEMconcept
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

If you're looking for a very good High performance all season tire, I highly recommend the new General GMax tires. I find them to be a lot more sportier than the DWS and Michelin's, and they're much quieter.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2013, 12:00 PM   #5
freshwater
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thanks folks for your replies.

Did like the New A/S Plus 3, but they not available till summer.
If A/S Plus louder then DWS then thats not good either, looks like my Rear Tires are all gone according to the BMW Tech, and my front have some Tread left but they making lot of noise and looks to me Uneven surface on them. But from outside Tires looks very good.
Now General GMAX are cheaper then the others and looks like they be good in snow, not sure how good they will be on Dry and cornering.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2013, 05:17 PM   #6
Ruhnie
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i 6MT

I've had terrible results with the A/S Plus on my 335. Apparently some cars w/ staggered setups just do not work well with this tire. I have uneven wear just on the outside edge of the tires. Almost bald on the outside inch or so of my fronts, with probably half the tread still left on the rest. Will never buy another Michelin.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2013, 08:14 PM   #7
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhnie View Post
I've had terrible results with the A/S Plus on my 335. Apparently some cars w/ staggered setups just do not work well with this tire. I have uneven wear just on the outside edge of the tires. Almost bald on the outside inch or so of my fronts, with probably half the tread still left on the rest. Will never buy another Michelin.
That's the other thing I forgot to mention; no matter what air pressure you have in these, they sure do seem to wear funny for no particular reason whatsoever. On the G35x my brother drives they've worn on the outside and inside edge funny too, all the way around. It's not the alignment and no amount of air pressure seems to help lol I've read the same complaint on MULTIPLE sites on many different make/model cars.

I wouldn't say that ALL Michelins are bad though; every brand has their own quirks; this is just "one of those things." I'm sure the next iteration will be much better. I mean, look at how good the PSS is, as well as most of their winter tires, etc.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2013, 04:27 PM   #8
Game
------
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 (sold)

You don't have winter tires on you 335i?

Thankfully we haven't had a lot of snow this year but I hear all seasons just don't compare to winters in the winter.
      01-26-2013, 04:32 PM   #9
Ruhnie
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCobra94 View Post
That's the other thing I forgot to mention; no matter what air pressure you have in these, they sure do seem to wear funny for no particular reason whatsoever. On the G35x my brother drives they've worn on the outside and inside edge funny too, all the way around. It's not the alignment and no amount of air pressure seems to help lol I've read the same complaint on MULTIPLE sites on many different make/model cars.

I wouldn't say that ALL Michelins are bad though; every brand has their own quirks; this is just "one of those things." I'm sure the next iteration will be much better. I mean, look at how good the PSS is, as well as most of their winter tires, etc.
Well I stopped by Discount Tire today to show them the problem, and they gave me $200 towards another set of Michelin tires. Reluctantly (lol) I ordered the PSS. Can't be worse than the A/S Plus right?
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2013, 04:40 PM   #10
freshwater
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Snow and DWS

No I have Conti DWS and this is their 3rd Winter, my first winter with them was very good, they were almost as good as my privious Blizaks. last winter we hardly see any Snow so did not notice much. This winter only couple of 1-2 inches of Snow in last 2 weeks and they still holding on Fair while driving on the 1-2 inch of Snow on the ground.
Now my Rear are at 3/32 and front are at 5/32 so I am just pushing the Rears to last this snow..

So either go with All Season or Summer/Winter setup on two setup of wheels
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2013, 04:55 PM   #11
freshwater
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhnie View Post
Well I stopped by Discount Tire today to show them the problem, and they gave me $200 towards another set of Michelin tires. Reluctantly (lol) I ordered the PSS. Can't be worse than the A/S Plus right?
I guess $200 less is a good deal on PSS, I have read they suppose to be the Best for Summer but no good for Snow or Ice, Dallas do get Icy and even snowy nowadays, looks like all the Melting Glaciers in Alaska and Iceland are coming your ways .

I was impressed by the New Michelin A/S Plus 3 which suppose to come in summer and its All season and looks good to me.

Link provided by FCobra94 http://www.michelinman.com/tire-sele...3/tire-details

Last edited by freshwater; 01-26-2013 at 05:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 11:37 PM   #12
freshwater
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I am more leaning towards A/S Plus since I already have DWS now and they were quite noisy in last 10K, and fronts have some chipping and rear are almost gone 3/32 left.

A/S Plus I can get almost less $140 then compare to DWS. So a little saving their too.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 11:58 AM   #13
Rollo`
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 230i

I am thinking of getting the PSS next...have the PS2 runflats now and they are amazing...I wish they weren't so damn expensive.

You should post up a review when you get the PSS on...
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 02:06 PM   #14
freshwater
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Other option is Pirelli P Zero Nero A/S All Season tires, they are OK on Snow, but quieter on road. plus they $100 less then Michelin pilot plus A/S.

Any negative using Pirelli ...
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 05:53 PM   #15
freshwater
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I order Pirelli P Zero Nero All Season. Hopefully they will be installed by Friday.
They were coming out ~80 less then Michelin A/S..

Most probably they will run fine for first 10-20k then the real stuff about noise and tread life comes into play.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 08:22 PM   #16
Rollo`
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshwater View Post
I order Pirelli P Zero Nero All Season. Hopefully they will be installed by Friday.
They were coming out ~80 less then Michelin A/S..

Most probably they will run fine for first 10-20k then the real stuff about noise and tread life comes into play.
Please post a review of the Perilli's when you can.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 08:59 PM   #17
badass335
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 540i Xdrive

I've had all 3 sets. Pirelli, a/s and DWS and I would stay away from the Pirelli's. Michelins handled the best but louder, and the DWS was softer but between all seasons, the best. I also have the PSS but the temps here in Canada are always too cold(7-8C) so the grip is crap. I have Michelin x-ice as well for hardcore snow but for everyday use DWS all the way!

Pirelli a/s was loud, crap in the wet and in minor snow and very light ice dangerous! I have a fbo 335i rwd with LSD.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 10:22 PM   #18
freshwater
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I will post Initial Review of how it feels for noise and Grip. The real Review has to wait till 15K or if start seeing problems before that.

badass335, I already have DWS on my 335i Sport, and they got very crapy after 25-30K.
The DWS are expensive now so have to go with something a little cheaper since to me they all Craped out after 25K.

Now I also have a 2007 X5 4.8 Sport with same DWS, they are holding on very good but they got only 20K so far and they are not Staggered. Both were put in same time summer 2010, but 335i put in lots of miles as compare to X5 plus 335i is Sport suspension and not Squared..
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 10:44 PM   #19
bcornwellatl
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo` View Post
I am thinking of getting the PSS next...have the PS2 runflats now and they are amazing...I wish they weren't so damn expensive.

You should post up a review when you get the PSS on...
Rollo,

I'm in the typical up in the air situation now between run flats and non RF. The PSS are the ones that I have been leaning towards (live in GA - so really don't need A/S or Winter) - but I tend to do a lot of driving for work- I have the yokah. run flats now that are absolute Fkg Terrible! The slip easy, they feel every small bump and if I hit a small crack it feels like the car just fell apart. So point - the RF's you have that you say are amazing - I'm curious - how do they feel driving - (I know this is opinion based). For BMW's having such a "lux" style - why can't we find the right tires for the car -

mine is a 08' 335i sport... Thanks in advance (anybody else care to chime it I'm very grateful for comments / help - too much money to blow on a bad idea...).
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 09:03 AM   #20
freshwater
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

If you can give up the Rockness of RFT then PSS might be the best for you since you dont have snow. they are Expensive and Rear will go first then the front. The cornering will be not as good as RFT tires..
      02-01-2013, 09:07 AM   #21
bcornwellatl
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshwater View Post
If you can give up the Rockness of RFT then PSS might be the best for you since you dont have snow. they are Expensive and Rear will go first then the front. The cornering will be not as good as RFT tires..
So on the cornering - I guess my understanding from reading is that if you inflate the tires to say 38 - that it will be equivalent of the RFT tires (being they have thicker side walls). The RFT's I have now make the car feel sporty, but damn, I mean if I hit a small pot hole or anything it feels like the car is just being beat to death... my old car (mazda) didn't seem to have that issue with standard non RFT. but that was a mazda vs BMW and weight was totally different as well..

but thanks for the reply - its appreciated...
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 10:02 AM   #22
Ruhnie
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcornwellatl View Post
So on the cornering - I guess my understanding from reading is that if you inflate the tires to say 38 - that it will be equivalent of the RFT tires (being they have thicker side walls). The RFT's I have now make the car feel sporty, but damn, I mean if I hit a small pot hole or anything it feels like the car is just being beat to death... my old car (mazda) didn't seem to have that issue with standard non RFT. but that was a mazda vs BMW and weight was totally different as well..

but thanks for the reply - its appreciated...
I've never had RFT's outside of about a 6-mo period after I bought my e90 used. Nothing but regular tires since and I have no problem cornering...actually never even heard of this being a pro/con between tire types.
Appreciate 0