E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Suggestions on what could be causing my 29F2

02-21-2015, 02:45 PM   #1
Dj_Frost
Second Lieutenant
Panama
Rep
Drives: 07 335i & 94 3000GT VR4

Suggestions on what could be causing my 29F2

Hey everyone,

So after much reading, waiting, part changing, frustration, indie advice, part changing, frustration, waiting, etc I’ve decided to open up a thread and see if I can get some help as to identifying what is wrong with my car.

I am honestly stuck right now and I am even starting to think that maybe the HPFP I bought (supposedly new from 99.9% feedback seller - http://www.ebay.com/itm/271711761654) was sold to me damaged but labeled as new I think I´m going crazy.

I´m including a list of all parts I’ve replaced on the car since Ive had it but right now the problems began when I started getting SES warning lights (I estimate this was at around 95000 miles) which I thought was bad fuel. For ref, our “premium” in Panama is rated at about 89 octane so we usually use Torco race fuel additive when we want to up the boost or in my case even run stock boost without possible knock, etc.

Anyways, after a while of getting the SES more constantly and then always on, decided to get the codes read and it showed an o2 code for the upper set, so I went ahead and ordered them\replaced them (96500 miles on the list at the end of the post).

Right around that time, I started getting some weird rpm hesitation\jumping from time to time, maybe I´d get it once every 20 times I drove the car but that just got worse with weeks passing to the point where the car was un-drivable and I also now had the limp mode icon plus msg on the idrive screen.

According to the indie mech, it was a sensor on the throttle body that was causing the jumpy rpms upon car startup (and not letting me drive the car) so I ordered that. When it arrived, he swapped it out and it seem to have worked, he did some tinkering and told me to give it a spin. I went around the block and as I was coming back, the car started jerking violently (just like before, where it was basically un-drivable) so I thought damn, that wasn’t it (referring to the part replaced).

So the mech checked codes again, etc and now he said there was a fuel pressure regulator issue and that I had to replaced the HPFP since it was tied into it. Great, this would now be my second HPFP. I ordered the part and when it arrived, the car would now start and idle but the SES and limp mode would not go away no matter what, next guess according to him… the high pressure fuel sensor (Part #2 http://goo.gl/GDIhJo), which was $40 on RME so I thought why not, ordered and a week later, viola, car now started up without the SES, no limp mode and everything seemed fine. He let it warm up and took it for a spin, car was now boosting (hadn’t done so since late Dec… since limp mode first showed up), he got back to the shop, let the car cool for about 2 hrs and took it out again for another spin, this time, it brought up that darn limp mode msg once again, no SES, just limp… tried clearing, resetting, nothing.. back at the shop on the never ending guessing game. Checked the fuel filter for obstruction, nothing, looks clean.

Forward to Today, we tried the low pressure fuel sensor (Part #7 http://goo.gl/Ohbr3J) from a known good 335 and nothing, everything remained the same. Logged some values on the low and high pressure (which I´m a bit confused on as well) and well… I just don’t know what to think now.

On one end I have another friend (also an indie mech) telling me it might be plugs, injs and o2 sensors values throwing the limp mode while the main indie that has done all of these diagnostics and suggestions now is looking at the DME and saying it could be damaged (which I don’t want to believe).

I´m attaching some pictures that I took today which also don’t make sense to me… because from what I can see, once I convert the low and high fuel pressure´s its showing at idle I get 83psi on both readings, which for the LP is fine, but on the HP it would be below critical (from what I could find online, should be

So, what do you guys think?

The only plays I think I have right now without blindly spending (money I don’t really have atm) is:
  1. Assume the HPFP I bought was not new and came DOA. So I can maybe tell the mech to find a known good and test it out.
  2. Take my friends advice and start looking at other things like plugs, injs, o2s which IMO should be ignition problems and maybe another code thrown but hey Im no mechanic.
  3. Buy the low pressure fuel sensor ($95 give or take) even though we tested it with a known good and it was the same (?? See, Im going crazy)
  4. Whatever other advice someone on here can offer?

69000 – (Bought the car - Jan 2011) Battery, Water Pump, Thermostat, Spark Plugs
71250 – Upper o2, Injectors, Fuel Regulator\Filter (PN 16147163296)
73200 – Checked Fuel Tank, LPFP (PN 16147163298)
78475 – HPFP, Spark Plugs
78900 – Rear o2
80700 – Rear PCV Tube, checked VANOS sensors (w\ Known goods)
81520 – Spark Plugs, Valve Cleaning-Walnut Blasting, Software Update
82780 – Thermostat
84845 – Spark Plugs
88280 – Exhaust Canister. Pump for Canister
96500 – Upper o2
96875 – Throttle Body, HPFP, High Pressure Fuel Sensor, Low Pressure Fuel Sensor (w\ Known good), checked fuel filter
*update* HPFP replaced with another one sent by the seller, LPFP replaced

[Race] 1994 Rare Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4
[Daily] 2007 BMW E92 335i 6MT
SPECS: [SpaceGray.Sport.Premium.Nav] MODS: [BTDCI.AAFMIC.AABOV.EBAYDP.?EXHAUST.VPROCEDE.BSHOCC]

Last edited by Dj_Frost; 03-25-2015 at 01:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 10:55 AM   #2
Dj_Frost
Second Lieutenant
Panama
Rep

Guess my long *** post is scaring people away

Anyone? I'd appreciate any input/ideas what so ever...

SPECS: [SpaceGray.Sport.Premium.Nav] MODS: [BTDCI.AAFMIC.AABOV.EBAYDP.?EXHAUST.VPROCEDE.BSHOCC]
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 11:48 AM   #3
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Is there a tune on the vehicle? If not, then it seems to still be a HPFP from my research.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 12:27 PM   #4
Dj_Frost
Second Lieutenant
Panama
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
Is there a tune on the vehicle? If not, then it seems to still be a HPFP from my research.
I have a procede which was removed for troubleshooting back when the throttle body rev issue started (which was around late December.)

Hmm, so maybe a DOA HPFP

Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 12:33 PM   #5
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj_Frost View Post
I have a procede which was removed for troubleshooting back when the throttle body rev issue started (which was around late December.)

Hmm, so maybe a DOA HPFP
Are you using a bavarian technic tool for diagnostics?

If so, have you tried resetting all adaptions? If so, run them twice.

I know there were some instances if you google "BMW Code 29F2" where piggybacks like proceed and Jb4 were causing this code.

It had to do with some setting in OL for the Procede and something else in the JB4.

However, if you are having the problem on a stock vehicle with the tune completely removed then it may still be your HPFP, of course im not 100% positive but from my research today it seems plausible.

I suggest reading some other threads in regards to 29F2 and see if any of those help before buying and parts.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 12:55 PM   #6
Dj_Frost
Second Lieutenant
Panama
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
Are you using a bavarian technic tool for diagnostics?

If so, have you tried resetting all adaptions? If so, run them twice.

I know there were some instances if you google "BMW Code 29F2" where piggybacks like proceed and Jb4 were causing this code.

It had to do with some setting in OL for the Procede and something else in the JB4.

However, if you are having the problem on a stock vehicle with the tune completely removed then it may still be your HPFP, of course im not 100% positive but from my research today it seems plausible.

I suggest reading some other threads in regards to 29F2 and see if any of those help before buying and parts.
Thanks for the reply Jeff,

We are using ISTA/D and yes, we reset adaptations (only once though) and the problem still persisted after turning the car back on.

I did read that thread about the Open Loop on Procede/JB (which I didnt really understand much of) but I disregarded it since I am not running the car with it atm.

I do however, have a DCI, AA FMIC, AA BOV and catback on the car atm, always had.

Last edited by Dj_Frost; 02-25-2015 at 05:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2015, 12:19 PM   #7
Dj_Frost
Second Lieutenant
Panama
Rep

Hey Jeff, you still around buddy?

Anyone else have any ideas/suggestions?

I'm trying to get another HPFP to test out but appreciate anyone else chiming in.

Appreciate 0
      03-25-2015, 01:33 PM   #8
Dj_Frost
Second Lieutenant
Panama
Rep

Ok, I have an update on this, no good news but maybe I can get some more ideas and feedback on this.

German Part Saver (the seller on ebay where I got the HPFP from) sent me another HPFP and after installing it, the car will now shut down after it goes into limp mode (10 secs in), it doesn't matter if I'm revving or holding it still at "x" rpm, it will kill power once limp mode come on and car will turn off.

I checked, double checked, triple checked to make sure everything was connected right, had someone else check, everything was connected and put on like it was supposed to. Tried cleaning all the connectors with contact cleaner, re-checked sensors, etc etc... nothing, same thing.

So I decided to put back in the previous HPFP and see if the car would still turn off or go into it's previous state of just remaining in limp mode with a good stable idle. I was crossing my fingers hoping it would also turn off and therefore be some sort of clue but no, when I put the previous HPFP back in, the car now stays idle, in limp mode, same as before with the fan kicking in high and everything else. Dammit!

Ordered the LPFP this time from RME and just had it installed today, same thing, so it isn't the low pressure fuel pump either as some suggested (I had to try). I'm having the ECT (Coolant temp sensor P/N 13621433076) changed since I had a new one handy and according to BMW the DME uses ECT info for fuel control, cooling and self-diagnostics.

After this I thought I'd try buying a new low pressure fuel sensor even though I already had tried replacing it with one that my previous indy found laying around his shop and the issue continued. But who knows, maybe that one was bad too... and this would be the last part in the fuel system delivery from the LPFP to the HPFP right? (LPFP (replaced) -> LPF sensor > HPFP (replaced twice) > HPF sensor (replaced))

Appreciate 0
      03-25-2015, 02:27 PM   #9
SINGH_
N54 E92
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335i

Wish I could help. Seems like you've covered just about everything I could think of. Maybe a bad dme? Hmmm
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2015, 03:44 PM   #10
Dj_Frost
Second Lieutenant
Panama
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SINGH_ View Post
Wish I could help. Seems like you've covered just about everything I could think of. Maybe a bad dme? Hmmm
Is there somewhere in the US where I could ship my DME and have it tested to see if it's alright?

Appreciate 0
      03-25-2015, 04:29 PM   #11
Flex68
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Have you tried a diff Indy mech or even a direct disganoistic from bmw dealer ?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2015, 07:36 PM   #12
Ilma
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj_Frost View Post
Is there somewhere in the US where I could ship my DME and have it tested to see if it's alright?
Yeah.....I'm thinking a bad DME as well, especially for the 2007 models.

Have you checked out this thread about repairing a fried DME?

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ied+dme&page=5
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2018, 02:29 AM   #13
vincheesel
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i LCI (2009)

Sorry to hear about your trouble..

Hi - I'm assuming you got to the bottom of it...

What was it in the end?