E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Anyone recognise these wheels?

09-27-2009, 11:49 AM   #1
pjs
Colonel
Rep
Drives: i8

Anyone recognise these wheels?

or this car the stealer has for sale

And yes, I've checked the link to wheel styles and cant find them.

Best the dealer can tell me so far is he thinks they are off an M6!

Genuine fit for an e92 or dodgy replicas?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-27-2009, 12:37 PM   #2
giotecno
THE DIESEL WEASEL
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e

Garage List
2017 BMW 330e  [0.00]
2005 320D ES  [0.00]
Those look like M6 Replicas mate. as the genuine M6 wheels wont fit the E92.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2009, 12:53 PM   #3
craig2859
Black .... all the way !!
Rep
Drives: [Previous]2006 330d M-Sport

Garage List
They still look nice though, and suit the car !
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2009, 01:09 PM   #4
SiKkBaSs
GTR'in it
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Nissan GTR Black Edition

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
M6 reps.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2009, 01:10 PM   #5
F31-340i
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by giotecno View Post
Those look like M6 Replicas mate. as the genuine M6 wheels wont fit the E92.
Agree - the offsets are very different.

On link below the genuine ones are styling 167 - but only for fit to E63 ff 6 series list (and under E60 5 series too as they became an option for the M5 - with again different offsets). All genuine ones are 19".

http://felgenkatalog.auto-treff.com/

The car probably also doesn't have runflats either. Which begs the question, is this an AUC car? Is it being sold with replica rims and non-runflats? Which dealer is it? Interesting precedent potentially!
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2009, 01:23 PM   #6
pjs
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///ajd View Post
Agree - the offsets are very different.

On link below the genuine ones are styling 167 - but only for fit to E63 ff 6 series list (and under E60 5 series too as they became an option for the M5 - with again different offsets). All genuine ones are 19".

http://felgenkatalog.auto-treff.com/

The car probably also doesn't have runflats either. Which begs the question, is this an AUC car? Is it being sold with replica rims and non-runflats? Which dealer is it? Interesting precedent potentially!
Cheers all

M6 reps then. Good point on the runflats, car is an AUC 'coming soon' with 230's listed as the wheels. No official pics yet, he sent me through that one via email. Dealer is Park Lane. Speaking to them tomorrow to find out more.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2009, 01:34 PM   #7
edowen
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 330i, 991 GTS, Cayenne S D

Need to be changed as you wont be able to make any warranty claims from other dealers, and I would imagine suspension claims could get sticky.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2009, 02:06 PM   #8
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by edowen View Post
Need to be changed as you wont be able to make any warranty claims from other dealers, and I would imagine suspension claims could get sticky.
No it won't affect the warranty at all. Maybe at a push the wheel bearings of they wanted to blame the the weight or bushit on them.

I think it's worrying that the dealers don't know M6 reps from real wheels.
      09-27-2009, 03:33 PM   #9
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 LCi

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
I think it's worrying that the dealers don't know M6 reps from real wheels.
+1 - was reading the thread and just about to post the same!!

They are DEFO reps - majority of the cheaper ones are not stagered setups either - I searched for ages when buying my M6 reps for the 'vert to get a setup that fitted properly.

OP - if you do consider buying this car ensure it has wider rears fitted. Personally I would insist that proper BMW alloys be fitted as my reps looked pretty poor after a winters use - the salt got under the lacquer causing some surface corrosion. OEM alloys will last for years (unless they are 225M's ) and still look good

230's suit the coupe very well, especially in SE guise
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2009, 04:27 PM   #10
edowen
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
No it won't affect the warranty at all.
A very factual comment. So there is no chance of trouble with a claim down the line via another dealer for corroded alloys, or buckled alloys?

Want to put money on that?
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2009, 04:33 PM   #11
jjbirch
Banned
Rep
Drives: E60 530D M SPORT

Garage List
I agree with carl about dealers putting them on there AUC website, my brother in law has just sold his disco 3 with supercharger wheels but there reps and cost him £300 second hand with 4mm of tread, anyway first words out of the salesman mouth was are those upgraded wheels lol,of course he said yes lol, i started a thead last week about a 335d with quad exhausts and they were small pipes, surely the dealers know how many tail pipes are on a 335i or d, just strange to put them on there website to sell
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2009, 04:52 PM   #12
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by edowen View Post
A very factual comment. So there is no chance of trouble with a claim down the line via another dealer for corroded alloys, or buckled alloys?

Want to put money on that?
There is no 'warranty' on wheel corrosion or buckling on AUC cars, regardless of whether they are OEM wheels or otherwise. However, that is not the same as if the wheels were already corroded and buckled prior to sale.

If a dealer chooses to repair corroded wheels on an AUC car that was purchased recently, that would be a 'goodwill' claim as opposed to an official BMW warranty claim.

If the dealer were to supply an AUC car with aftermarket alloys, and the suspension were to fail thereafter, that supplying dealer will still have to honour the warranty claim, as by selling the car via the AUC program they are in effect validating the mechanical competence of the car as sold
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2009, 05:00 PM   #13
edowen
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92Fan View Post
There is no 'warranty' on wheel corrosion or buckling on AUC cars, regardless of whether they are OEM wheels or otherwise. However, that is not the same as if the wheels were already corroded and buckled prior to sale.

If a dealer chooses to repair corroded wheels on an AUC car that was purchased recently, that would be a 'goodwill' claim as opposed to an official BMW warranty claim.

If the dealer were to supply an AUC car with aftermarket alloys, and the suspension were to fail thereafter, that supplying dealer will still have to honour the warranty claim, as by selling the car via the AUC program they are in effect validating the mechanical competence of the car as sold
You missed my point. SUPPLYING DEALER. So you have to go back there.

Lets agree to disagree. there is enough weedling out of warranty and crappy dealer service already out there, without buying a car with replica wheels on it - not to mention the fact they may well be crap copies that are more likely to bend (even more of an issue given your points).
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2009, 05:03 PM   #14
jjbirch
Banned
Rep
Drives: E60 530D M SPORT

Garage List
end of the day reps are reps there out there to be cheap and thats it,you get what yo pay for,i saw a pic of M3-fast M6 reps and were shocked how bad of a state there in sorry to put you down m8, it put me of buying rep full stop
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2009, 04:00 AM   #15
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///ajd View Post
is this an AUC car? Is it being sold with...... non-runflats?
There's no requirement to sell the cars with RFTs, as their is no requirement to even use them at all.

Look round any AUC yard and you'll see 3er, 1er, 5er cars with regular tyres. They couldn't give a toss what tyres are on.

Of course, when trading in they'll give you the BS about having to pay for a full set of RFTs though....
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2009, 12:35 PM   #16
F31-340i
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
There's no requirement to sell the cars with RFTs, as their is no requirement to even use them at all.

Look round any AUC yard and you'll see 3er, 1er, 5er cars with regular tyres. They couldn't give a toss what tyres are on.

Of course, when trading in they'll give you the BS about having to pay for a full set of RFTs though....
Yes, that was the point I was making - i.e. they'll rob you come trade in if it hasn't got RFTs, but they're potentially quite happy to flog them with them on - thats why it could be an interesting precedent (although it may seem not in this case if they are replacing the replicas).

Must admit I've never checked a dealers used stock for this, should have a poke around next time. I know that some new 318s etc. don't come with RFTs from the factory now anyway.

Interestingly, the feedback on here actually confirms a car is probably worth less as a trade in with replicas - as I read it most of the posters here wouldn't be happy buying the car with the reps, so the dealer probably has to change them to OEM to avoid limiting his market of buyers (and factor that into his trade in price).
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2009, 01:21 PM   #17
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
So how does fitting non RFT's affect your insurance if at all? What I mean is could an insurance company, in the event of an accident try and use the fact that a BMW supplied and fitted with RFT's as OEM no longer had them fitted and it 'affected' the manner in which the car behaved.

Suppose a precedent needs to be set in law before a conclusive answer could be given. Has one already been made? Personally don't think it should affect any potential claim but just a thought.

Back O/T, think reps are 'get what you pay for sometimes'.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2009, 01:29 PM   #18
pjs
Colonel
Rep

Dealer left a message to say they are non bmw wheels (which I think we'd all worked out by now), I rang back and missed him

Personally, I'd only consider buying the car if they stick new 230's and RFT's on, I cant see how it would fit the AUC criteria as it is. (the reps do look good though)

Being a tight wad my search for the right car at the right price is taking some time!

On the insurance issue, but off topic, maybe if you had a blow out at speed with non rft's which then caused a severe crash, the insurers could say that wouldnt have happened with rfts.

Happy Monday
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2009, 02:57 AM   #19
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

For sure a car is worth less with reps on, same as a set of halfords led lights.

But the selling dealer is taking legal responsibility for those wheels and any subsequent problems cause by them, they could even be sued in the future. It's in their own interest to change them for an OE set. RFTs are a cost option on ES models since 08, so they can't be that much of a safety issue. Do you get a jack and spare if you don't order RFTs then??

There may be some insurance issue if BMW said in the manual 'you must use RFT tyres, fitment of non approved RFT or non RFT tyres will invalidate warranty and may be dangerous' in big capital letters in the WARNINGS section.

As it is fitting non RFT tyres is no different to using mobil oil when the manual recommends castrol.

They can't on one hand say they are vital to safety, then on the other choose not to fit them on certain models and charge for them on others.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2009, 08:15 AM   #20
pjs
Colonel
Rep

Fact

Dealer rang back, selling car with the reps on, as an AUC
Appreciate 0