E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > HPFP failure FAQ!

11-01-2011, 06:40 PM   #1057
twinship
Booosted
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW4Life2112 View Post
So, I recently read in Bimmer magazine that the HPFP issue was resolved with BMW's latest recall/replacement fuel pump. Does everyone pretty much agree with this "verdict"? And would those of you who have had the problem reccomend that everyone get their fuel pumps replaced under warranty whether they have experienced problems or not?
Don't believe anyone on these boards is in a position to say definitively that the problem has been resolved. Only BMW has the data that would reveal the current failure rate. And of course they're not about to share it.

Hwvr, the falloff in HPFP-related posts since the last recall certainly suggests that the problem has at least been mitigated to some extent.

I've had mine replaced and am cautiously optimistic...
2008 BMW 335i//Jet Black on Black Dakota Leather//Steptronic, Sport Package, Premium Package, Logic7 Sound, Aluminum Trim, iPOD & USB, Cobb S1+ Sport, ER FMIC, ER CP, K&N Filter, H&R Sport Springs, Koni Yellows, ECS Tuning spacers (F-10mm/R-15mm), Akebono pads, OEM Rear Aero Spoiler, OEM Sport Diffusor, Cyba 3.8" Tips, OEM Aluminum Pedals, M-tech Steering Wheel, Clear Reflectors
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 08:46 AM   #1058
Modacar
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Just had mine replaced on my 2009 with 34k,, at least that is what they say was the issue.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 05:01 PM   #1059
dougiedude
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 135i M Sprt/ 05 Lotus Elise

Just got my 2009 135i (N54 engine) back from regular service, and they informed me that my HPFP and ALL 6 Injectors were replaced, in addition to the oil and filter change (33,800 miles).

My car hasn't had pump failure, only a few 'hiccups' (see below), but my SA said they are replacing all original pumps for the recall now.

My pre-replacement fuel 'hiccups' have only consisted of: once about 4 months ago, and another time one week ago, the car stumbled a bit after cold starts in the garage and went into 'Limp Mode'. Both times I was able to turn off the car, and restart without issues, or further 'Limp'. Idle has sometimes been a bit rough.

Driving it today after new pump and injectors I notice perfectly smooth idling (not so smooth before), and I'm not sure, but maybe slightly prolonged turbo 'lag', though this could be my imagination...

Last edited by dougiedude; 11-02-2011 at 06:13 PM.. Reason: clarification
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 06:32 PM   #1060
dougiedude
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Oh, and I happened to speak to my SA after the pump and injector replacements and told him I thought I might have noticed some increase in turbo lag and decrease in acceleration, and his response was that he is surprised, because it was his understanding that the HPFP failures were thought to be related to breakdown of plastics within the fuel pump secondary to ethanol, and failure related to that effect; and that the new pumps were more resistant to ethanol effects. So he didn't think that there would be a 'detuning' as part of the recall.

Makes me wish I had dyno-ed the car before the recall so I could compare to the 'after'...

I had the car out again later today, and I still think there could be some greater lag, but I'm not convinced there's a drop in acceleration... that still feels GOOD!!

Doug
      11-02-2011, 06:46 PM   #1061
dougiedude
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stein67 View Post
On my newly purchased CPO 08 335i I reviewed the service records and see that the HPFP has never been replaced. The car has 28,000 miles now. With regard to the recall, is the consensus that if it is working now, leave it alone or should I get it replaced preemptively one week when I am home instead of when I'm on the road for work? I usually travel for work one week and then in the office for the next week so scheduling would be easy.
My personal feeling is that even though you've had no issues yet, pump replacement (AND fuel injector checks/replacements) will make it less likely you'll ever have a HPFP failure, now that there seems to be much fewer incidents being reported. I'm not convinced that there's a performance compromise by what BMW is doing, but it seems apparent that reliability should be better once the pump is replaced.

Opinions from some owners more travelled and knowledgable than me, however, may differ...
      11-02-2011, 07:48 PM   #1062
bmw335xiguy
Registered
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by messi View Post
argh!!.. well i havent gotten the car as yet.. when i get it.. i will call the dealer here!!
Well, what happened?
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 07:01 PM   #1063
silverbullet07
Rep
Drives: 07 335i

I am new to the site and just bought my 07 335i about 6 months ago and I absolutely love it...however I just encountered my first issue...and I believe it is the hpfp....unfortunately i am at 70k miles and do not have a warranty...does anyone have any suggestions on what is the best way to go about getting my problem fixed at the least expense....thanks for the help
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 07:45 PM   #1064
dougiedude
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbullet07 View Post
I am new to the site and just bought my 07 335i about 6 months ago and I absolutely love it...however I just encountered my first issue...and I believe it is the hpfp....unfortunately i am at 70k miles and do not have a warranty...does anyone have any suggestions on what is the best way to go about getting my problem fixed at the least expense....thanks for the help
BMW has extended the HPFP warranty to 'lifetime'. Take it into the nearest dealer, and they will replace it if it hasn't been already. They replaced all 6 of my fuel injectors also, since there's a recall for those, too, to be checked, and if necessary, replaced.
      11-15-2011, 04:11 PM   #1065
silverbullet07
Rep
Drives: 07 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougiedude View Post
BMW has extended the HPFP warranty to 'lifetime'. Take it into the nearest dealer, and they will replace it if it hasn't been already. They replaced all 6 of my fuel injectors also, since there's a recall for those, too, to be checked, and if necessary, replaced.
thanks for the help i will be taking it in this week
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 04:38 PM   #1066
rickysahota
UC Berkeley
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwjbd24 View Post
36k on the first pump here...
62K on the first pump, had a problem last night, scheduled an appointment for tomorrow morning
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 06:15 PM   #1067
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

No issues since I got my recall done (none prior so was hoping the recall wouldn't cause problems, and it didn't). Isn't it amazing, weeks go by and no more talk about hpfp. Done deal!
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2011, 08:57 AM   #1068
snakes1021
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M4 CS/ 440I gran coupe

I had my recall done (3 months back)they did not replace my HPFP. but did replace 1 coil pack and all 6 injectors. Earlier this week I noticed way long cranks for about 2 days then I filled up Tuesday left the gas station got the SES and jitters like there was no fuel, called bmw they said next avail appt was next Wednesday and I should be ok until then. later that day i got half engine light horrible shaking no acceleration goes away when car is turned off but comes back horrible intermittent shakes and loss of power rpm is all over the place. Called yesterday to update my SA. And on the way home it got really bad so I just took it in as an emergency drop off. I noticed that the whole way home my engine temp gauge was below normal but my fan was nonstop and louder than ever.

All symptoms match HPFP with the exception of the low temp and constant running of the fan . That just stared yesterday I don’t know when if/when the HPFP was replaced. I have 74k on the car. Glad I got the extended warranty.

there is about 30k miles since last HPFP failure.

Last edited by snakes1021; 12-02-2011 at 10:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2011, 09:24 AM   #1069
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

I've only had one failure since the recall (that's actually an improvement).

Something they've done seems to have made the problem less prevalent. I think a lot of people who aren't new don't bother to talk about it anymore when something does happen. It's very much a dead horse which has been beaten to death at least 100 times.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2011, 07:25 AM   #1070
Quisp
Does not play well with others
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Question for the owners who have had thier pumps replaced recently.
When they replaced the pump did you get a software update? If you floor the car and hold it down is your acceleration smooth or does it surge/oscillate around 3000-4000 rpm(especially on cars with any type of tune)? Do you notice any change in acceleration characteristics?
      12-04-2011, 08:23 AM   #1071
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakes1021 View Post
I had my recall done (3 months back)they did not replace my HPFP. but did replace 1 coil pack and all 6 injectors. Earlier this week I noticed way long cranks for about 2 days then I filled up Tuesday left the gas station got the SES and jitters like there was no fuel, called bmw they said next avail appt was next Wednesday and I should be ok until then. later that day i got half engine light horrible shaking no acceleration goes away when car is turned off but comes back horrible intermittent shakes and loss of power rpm is all over the place. Called yesterday to update my SA. And on the way home it got really bad so I just took it in as an emergency drop off. I noticed that the whole way home my engine temp gauge was below normal but my fan was nonstop and louder than ever.

All symptoms match HPFP with the exception of the low temp and constant running of the fan . That just stared yesterday I don’t know when if/when the HPFP was replaced. I have 74k on the car. Glad I got the extended warranty.

there is about 30k miles since last HPFP failure.
The thing is they are very methodical about the hpfp replacement, hpfp, lpfs, then injectors. Your issue may be something else but it's anybody's guess. Again, if the forum is any indicator, from tens of posts daily on hpfp, to every week a post here or there, this is a done deal. Even the haters don't bother to post anymore! LOL
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 06:09 AM   #1072
Quisp
United_States
Rep

I am still trying to figure out if they are using a new pump or the same old reman pumps from before because if they arent using a new one then why arent they failing at the same rate? Put the same part in that you just took out and you should get the same results as before unless you change another variable as well so unless they have a new part they must be doing something else with the cars.
      12-06-2011, 12:39 PM   #1073
Homemade WRX
United_States
Rep
Drives: far from stock

Hi guys,

I'm know that on these forums I'm a lurker of sorts but was wondering if anyone had a failed pump sitting around that they wouldn't mind sending to me? I'd really like to look into the cause of the pump failure and possible solutions/upgrades for them.

I do have a pump design and DI background (mechanical/motorsports engineer), so it's not just going to some idiot. I generally do taylored Subaru race engines but have had a few of my old and current customers asking me to get into the N54/N55 and the 997.2 tt platforms, both which seem capped on power because of fueling. In this case reliability is also a factor, not just injector flow and pump pressure.

So I'd like to take a look into it, as the HPFP problem is actually part of what prevented me from snagging one as a DD.

Thanks,
Micah
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 03:21 PM   #1074
GarySL
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 Carrera 4S

^ Good luck, BMW isn't releasing failed hpfps for inquisitive minds to tinker with.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 06:47 AM   #1075
Homemade WRX
United_States
Rep
Drives: far from stock

well that sucks. I guess I'll have to track down an old BMW dealer mechanic friend of mine and see if he can snag one...that is unless this is one of those 100% of failed pumps have to be sent back to BMW kind of deals.

I know someone has replaced their own before the extended warranty and 'newer' pump come out. I guess I can always hope that 'they' would be willing to help the cause, assuming they see this post.

John135i (the diy video on youtube) seems to be rather inactive on these forums now.

Last edited by Homemade WRX; 12-08-2011 at 07:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 11:51 AM   #1076
mrsalty
Registered
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougiedude View Post
BMW has extended the HPFP warranty to 'lifetime'.
Any documentation on this? Last I heard it was 120k mi.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2011, 11:10 PM   #1077
Quisp
United_States
Rep

I also thought it was 120000 or 10 years
      12-12-2011, 09:44 PM   #1078
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
I had mine replaced last month with less than 30K miles. BMW first tried the software fix but that didn't do anything.
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0