Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Abnormal front tire wear?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

07-27-2014, 05:59 PM   #1
ferocity02
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is

Abnormal front tire wear?

The inside of my front tires are nearly bald. But the outside appears just fine. Is this normal for this vehicle? These are Bridgestone Potenza RE050A, see link below. I bought the vehicle about 2k miles ago, but these tires have about 21k miles on them according to the records. I do not know if it's been tracked at all.

So, does this wear pattern look abnormal? At 21k miles, are these wearing out too soon?

It's a 2007 E90 335i.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....XLV2&tab=Specs

Front left:

Front right:

Appreciate 0
      07-27-2014, 07:18 PM   #2
TrAcK TRaP
bOrN To DiE
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP

Its normal since you drive bmw it happens to everybody. Time to replace them for sure..
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2014, 07:48 PM   #3
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Toe is off...get an alignment.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2014, 08:28 PM   #4
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i 06

Not normal, you need to get an alignment.

The rears get worn from the center, the front from the outside with normal alignment on this car. If you get inside wear (severe one on top of it from your picture) something is wrong.

Your tires are shot, too. Pity they look almost new from the center.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 03:15 AM   #5
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
That's exactly the 'normal' tire wear I get on my front tires & I have my car aligned at dealer 1X/yr - always get the alignment printout and the specs are almost dead on the center of range allowed.

Dealer stated that is 'normal' tire wear based on BMW alignment specs - I know its fairly aggravating to have to throw out an otherwise good set of tires just because of this...

Now this type of wear only happens on my summer setup which is staggered 18". Doesn't really occur with my winter 17" setup - and yes, I am using the correct size tires - more important to do so since I am XDrive.
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 10:27 AM   #6
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post
That's exactly the 'normal' tire wear I get on my front tires & I have my car aligned at dealer 1X/yr - always get the alignment printout and the specs are almost dead on the center of range allowed.

Dealer stated that is 'normal' tire wear based on BMW alignment specs - I know its fairly aggravating to have to throw out an otherwise good set of tires just because of this...

Now this type of wear only happens on my summer setup which is staggered 18". Doesn't really occur with my winter 17" setup - and yes, I am using the correct size tires - more important to do so since I am XDrive.
That's because the specs that BMW suggests are terrible. Of course the tires are going to wear that way if you're running an unnecessary amount of toe; which you are given that you're "center of range." Dial it out at least to the "minimum" they recommend and the tires will wear even. It's not rocket surgery. 1/16" toe in (total) up front should be plenty and is still within spec.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 11:04 AM   #7
ferocity02
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCobra94 View Post
That's because the specs that BMW suggests are terrible. Of course the tires are going to wear that way if you're running an unnecessary amount of toe; which you are given that you're "center of range." Dial it out at least to the "minimum" they recommend and the tires will wear even. It's not rocket surgery. 1/16" toe in (total) up front should be plenty and is still within spec.
So if I take it in to get it aligned, they are going to go with the recommended specs, which according to you will cause this wear. So what do I tell them differently in order to minimize this type of wear? Minimum toe?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 11:10 AM   #8
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferocity02 View Post
So if I take it in to get it aligned, they are going to go with the recommended specs, which according to you will cause this wear. So what do I tell them differently in order to minimize this type of wear? Minimum toe?
Yes.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2014, 01:24 PM   #9
ferocity02
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Update... Got an alignment done today. Total toe was -0.81 deg. They adjusted it to +0.24 deg. Recommended range is +0.03-0.43 deg.

Car steers much better now and hopefully the new front tires will wear a more evenly.

2013 135is DCT Carbon Black Metallic

Appreciate 0