E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Take 3: Vishnu 335i coupe Tuning Update

10-18-2006, 03:22 PM   #397
sstarch1
From Russia With Boost
Rep
Drives: E92 335i - Vroom

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hegemony
Shiv,

Good looking stuff.

Have you considered that if you only offer a bundle package with the exhaust and xede together that a dealer will resonably be able to conclude that a 335 owner running your exhaust is also running your mod even if the owner removes the xede prior to taking it in for service?

I definitely see the need for it. Your numbers speak for themselves, but selling the xede only with the exhaust included seems like a red flag to dealers saying "hey, this guy is running a piggyback chip!"

-Heg
And at this point you say to the dealer:

"Prove it"

You see if a dealer wants to go out on a limb to piss off a customer.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2006, 04:00 PM   #398
tommithy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i

Quote:
Shiv,

Good looking stuff.

Have you considered that if you only offer a bundle package with the exhaust and xede together that a dealer will resonably be able to conclude that a 335 owner running your exhaust is also running your mod even if the owner removes the xede prior to taking it in for service?

I definitely see the need for it. Your numbers speak for themselves, but selling the xede only with the exhaust included seems like a red flag to dealers saying "hey, this guy is running a piggyback chip!"

-Heg
To add on to what sstarch said, not only would they have to prove it but who is to say you didn't just add a cat-back exhaust system all by itself on your car? There will be plenty of these around soon for this car, that's for sure.
      10-18-2006, 04:13 PM   #399
gtr335i
Rep
Drives: 335i

Since the torque numbers keep shooting up and the Hp isnt moving much does that mean that the limits of the turbos are starting to kick in?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2006, 04:34 PM   #400
PresaMat
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 67 GT500,69 Boss 429, 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu
+1. Besides, today's latest dyno test of our car shows 370lb-ft of torque at 2500-4500rpm. Let's see a bigger turbo do that

-shiv

Is this at the wheels shiv? Or a guesstimate at the crank? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2006, 04:38 PM   #401
tommithy
Second Lieutenant
Rep

His last dyno sheet was at about 350 torque so it's probably safe to assume it's now 370..
      10-18-2006, 05:07 PM   #402
Ryan(e92)
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: SG M6 coupe

The only way your going to lose your warranty is IF something breaks/malfunctions(like your engine or tranny). Your not going to take it in for service and have the service tech tell you because of your modifications your warranty is void. DOESNT HAPPEN!
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2006, 05:14 PM   #403
tommithy
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan(e92)
The only way your going to lose your warranty is IF something breaks/malfunctions(like your engine or tranny).
Once again, this is INCORRECT! The dealer must be able to PROVE that the modification you made CAUSED the problem that you need to have repaired. Simply having the modification will NOT void your warranty on ANY part of your car except the modified part of course.
      10-18-2006, 05:17 PM   #404
Ryan(e92)
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: SG M6 coupe

I agree with you.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2006, 05:37 PM   #405
Hegemony
Fast Like Tiger
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommithy
To add on to what sstarch said, not only would they have to prove it but who is to say you didn't just add a cat-back exhaust system all by itself on your car? There will be plenty of these around soon for this car, that's for sure.
I appreciate the optimism that you guys show, however given this quote from the Vishnu site and probably product labeling as well, it will be easy to distinguish the Vishnu exhaust system from any other cat-back exhaust.
http://www.vishnutuning.com/company.htm
Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnutuning.com
It's far more than patriotism. It's about quality. When it comes to raw materials, skilled labor, R&D exposure, tooling and machining, USA-built components are in a class by themselves. Don't take our word for it. See for yourself in the smoothness and consistency of our argon-bathed welds, the uniformity and tolerance of our CNC machining, the purity of our mandrel-bent 304 and 321 stainless steel tubing, the thickness of our reinforcing exhaust pipe doubles, the expansion joints in our wastegate discharge tubes, the hand-formed and rubber-pressed end-tanks of our intercoolers and, above all, the perfect fitment and functionality of every product that bears the Vishnu name. The qualities exhibited in our products have yet to be reproduced by the overseas manufacturing plants utilized by all our competitors. While our uncompromised approach is slightly more costly, you can rest assured that you will not find any competitor offering that comes close to matching the strength-in-design, durability and functionality represented in every Vishnu product.
Again, if the product is bundled where the exhaust and the xede ONLY come as one package: if you have one, you have the other
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2006, 05:40 PM   #406
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
We will sell the exhaust by itself. No harm in doing that.

-shiv
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2006, 05:40 PM   #407
Vinobien
The 3 Day Diet!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray e92, 88 911 Cab

Garage List
I think $1500 is what i would be willing to spend to get 50 hp. 3000 is too high for what i want to spend on hp gains . i would rather spend less to get just a little more. This would give the car just a little more edge. Plus i just spent 3000 for a set of 19" IForged Daytonas. Damn - that'll be 53k for car including tax + 3k wheels + 900 tires = 57K ,less what i can get for the 189s. Then add 3 k for the xede / exh. Near 6ok- shoot, maybe i should have waited for the M3.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2006, 05:43 PM   #408
poldim
Vroom Vrrooooom
Russian Federation
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i Sedan  [0.00]
2003 GSX-R 600  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinobien
I think $1500 is what i would be willing to spend to get 50 hp. 3000 is too high for what i want to spend on hp gains . i would rather spend less to get just a little more. This would give the car just a little more edge. Plus i just spent 3000 for a set of 19" IForged Daytonas. Damn - that'll be 53k for car including tax + 3k wheels + 900 tires = 57K ,less what i can get for the 189s. Then add 3 k for the xede / exh. Near 6ok- shoot, maybe i should have waited for the M3.
Problem is you wont be able to keep the M3 stock either. The mod bug will bite you, sooner or later...

SG | Beige Dakota | Poplar || iDrive w/MP3 | PP | SP | CWP | PDC | Comfort | Shades || 40% Tint
| Black Line Tail Lights | Hardwired V1
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2006, 05:51 PM   #409
tommithy
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I appreciate the optimism that you guys show, however given this quote from the Vishnu site and probably product labeling as well, it will be easy to distinguish the Vishnu exhaust system from any other cat-back exhaust.
How do you figure it will be easy to distinguish the Vishnu exhaust? Perhaps if someone is very familiar with aftermarket parts and has seen a whole lot of cat back systems from different vendors then they would probably know that it was a well made system but to tell what vendor it is from without any kind of labeling on the actual parts I doubt they'd know it was a "Vishnu" part. Unless of course Shiv stamps his name all over it.
      10-18-2006, 06:17 PM   #410
lawdude
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i ZPP ZSP TiAg MT

Quote:
How do you figure it will be easy to distinguish the Vishnu exhaust? Perhaps if someone is very familiar with aftermarket parts and has seen a whole lot of cat back systems from different vendors then they would probably know that it was a well made system but to tell what vendor it is from without any kind of labeling on the actual parts I doubt they'd know it was a "Vishnu" part. Unless of course Shiv stamps his name all over it.
I hereby give free license to plaster "lawdude" all over the cat backs.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2006, 06:54 PM   #411
///Matt
United States Marine
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Dodge Ram 1500

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinobien

So now the Factory M3 comes with I-Forged?

You're going to spend money on whatever car you own. Don't panic that you're money spent is going up. Also, just think how much INSURANCE you're SAVING my not have an M on your car.

Matt
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2006, 07:38 PM   #412
sal501
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4

Shiv,

How much HP/Torque can we expect to get out of a custom exhaust alone with car still factory tuned with out putting Xede in?

Thanks
Sal
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2006, 08:19 PM   #413
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sal501
Shiv,

How much HP/Torque can we expect to get out of a custom exhaust alone with car still factory tuned with out putting Xede in?

Thanks
Sal
Not too much really. We saw about 10whp and 10lb-ft of torque with the Xede bypassed. The exhaust, by itself, also introduced a little bit of boost unstability/hunting. No biggie but certainly not a big power adder by itself.

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2006, 08:26 PM   #414
new2the3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M Competition

I love your product shiv and I would most likely get it if I had a 335i. However, I personally would wait around for more competition to get a good deal. I was under the impression that chips/tunes normally go for about $500/600 and a quality dual exhaust about $1000. You are the only game in town right now ready to release products but I am hoping by the time I move into a 335 (few years) there will be lots of competition with competitive pricing. Keep up the good work.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2006, 08:40 PM   #415
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
FWIW, the Xede is not a "chip". It's a fully programmable computer.

Last edited by OpenFlash; 10-18-2006 at 09:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2006, 09:12 PM   #416
sstarch1
From Russia With Boost
Rep
Drives: E92 335i - Vroom

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu
FWIW, the Xede is not a "chip". It's a fully programmable computer.
HAhaha...

Shic =

With the time and energy and investing YOU OWN CALL, i dont mind paying more money for a product that i have seen evolve in front of my eyes. Someone who really cares for their product.
A 335i is an expensice car, things cost more, you cut corners on R&D, QC/QA, etc, you install "Ford quality products" on a car that is set fiimly against such a thing.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2006, 09:39 PM   #417
Jaws
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i mt

Quote:
Once again, this is INCORRECT! The dealer must be able to PROVE that the modification you made CAUSED the problem that you need to have repaired. Simply having the modification will NOT void your warranty on ANY part of your car except the modified part of course.
You are correct, but if a dealer wants to give you a hard time and deny warranty coverage, how are you going to force the issue short of legal action?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2006, 09:59 PM   #418
335Mat
Private
Rep
Drives: A blue car

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2the3
I love your product shiv and I would most likely get it if I had a 335i. However, I personally would wait around for more competition to get a good deal. I was under the impression that chips/tunes normally go for about $500/600 and a quality dual exhaust about $1000. You are the only game in town right now ready to release products but I am hoping by the time I move into a 335 (few years) there will be lots of competition with competitive pricing. Keep up the good work.
+1.

My thoughts exactly since starting to read these threads. But you can’t really blame Shiv for asking a $3000 range for his product.

Blame the lame members of this thread.

The way that they “negotiate” price is backward retarded.

The goal of a seller is to sell for as high a price he can get.

The goal of a buyer is to buy for as low a price as he can get.

Before Shiv even mention $$$, came the first poster to announce, “you can get a lot of money from these BMW owners’. Then the others join the choir, singing how much they want to pay… “Oh, $3000 is NOTHING..”

Even before Mr. Shiv posted any price I started to see how the price is climbing up. I could guess what he would probably ask. Only that he surprised me a little by being a little higher then expected. Oh well… with these kind of customer willingness to pay a lot, what would you expect? The pressure was to up the price.

And then when he comes out with a ball park price, the ‘customers’ say, “oh, that’s all??? You can charge me more.”

There was also a shift in the direction of posting hp. At some point when the Xede was half done he put the exhaust in. Stating that he didn’t want to wait, but “it will be interesting to see what is the hp now without the pipes. Somehow that never happened. It is obvious he does not want to post graph of Xede without pipes.

I just hope that in time, when the Xede will be for sale by itself only, it will not be “detune” a little to create a nice gap between that, and the more costly Xede+pipe setup.

Also, as the direction in the beginning was to create a system that can be easily concealed from the dealer for warranty concerns. It is now in favor of the more pricy setup.

Don’t get me wrong. Nothing wrong with what Mr. Shiv is doing. He is a business man that wants to see his bottom line as healthy as possible. I don’t expect him to do charity work. But the “market” (people on this thread) is pushing in the absurdly wrong direction.

I started following this thread feeling exited, ready to buy, then shocked by stupid suggestions about how much he should/could charge the “rich BMW owners”, then annoyed, then disgusted. I am now pretty much decided not to buy it. I will wait for the other tuners to go crazy all over the 335 and come up with their stuff. Let the competition begin. Waiting for Dinan looks very good now especially when I consider their top notch quality and the warranty that come with it.

And before anybody jumps to any conclusions, I will say it myself first: I am sure Mr. Shiv is a top notch tuner. I am also sure he is a top notch businessman.

Cheers.
Appreciate 0