E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > The dreaded cracking clearcoat on BMW Wheels

03-06-2014, 09:33 AM   #1
dsb335
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Sedan

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
The dreaded cracking clearcoat on BMW Wheels

Hey Folks,

Well, the clear coat is giving way on my OEM Wheels (Style 284). The clear coat is flaking off in small sections. Refinishing wheels is pretty pricey around here and I'm pretty lukewarm about these wheels. Have any of you tried repairing the clear coat on your wheel? If so, what was your process?

TIA

Mark
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 10:30 AM   #2
E902009
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i

I've done repairs on my old E30's basket weaves, and the result was great. It took me a while, but I took my time with each wheel (I rarely needed my car, since I travel a lot by plane). You don't need to take the tires off, as long as you mask them off really well. I took my tires off because I was getting new tires anyway. Sanding was a bitch, as you can imagine, but wet-sand down the paint, repair the light curb rashes that you have with bond, then sand the repairs down. I got a few cans of Wurth primer and wheel paint, and went to town.

Don't skimp on the primer, and shoot light coats twice. make sure you let it dry each on each coat. Then proceed with the paint. Again, light and multiple passes work best. Once the paint is done, you're ready for clear coat. I did two coats and they turned out great. If I remember correctly, you have to wait for six weeks before putting any type of sealant on the painted surfaces. Light washing is ok, but during that time, it's critical to not let them get so dirty to the point where you have to use a brush to get them clean. I was cleaning my wheels once a week for about two months. My wife thought I went nuts.

Good luck. Don't be afraid to tackle this project. It's easy, you just have to have patience. Easy DIY if you got the time and space for it.
Appreciate 0