E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Northwest > To the TRACK!

12-14-2010, 02:00 PM   #1
seej333
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i E92

Garage List
2007 335i  [6.00]
To the TRACK!

Just wondering if anyone in the Seattle area has experience with tracking their car, for example at Pacific Raceways. I know the BMW car club has put on events in the past. Not talking about drags at all.

I'm interested in hearing your experience with the event. Did you feel it was set up well for safety with other amateur drivers?Also it would be fun to get a group of guys to go to Pacific this spring/summer for a track day. I'm sure it would be a kick in the pants to push our cars hard around a track!
      12-14-2010, 10:36 PM   #2
gberger1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

I race here in portland (streetbikes) and a few of my coworkers belong to a car club that rents our track and they get to do trackdays with their cars everything out there from Lambos, to sti's, and most drivers of the exotics will let you sit navigator if you ask them. I can get more info if you would like.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2010, 11:51 AM   #3
seej333
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [6.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gberger1 View Post
I race here in portland (streetbikes) and a few of my coworkers belong to a car club that rents our track and they get to do trackdays with their cars everything out there from Lambos, to sti's, and most drivers of the exotics will let you sit navigator if you ask them. I can get more info if you would like.
I appreciate it, but trying to find out more around the Seattle area.
      12-15-2010, 04:25 PM   #4
Ensi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 10' 335D

I'm just starting to track with my 335, I'm heading over to Bremerton to do a "skills class", it's a pre-req to doing any BMW track days down at Pacific. I would also cruise around on the local BMWCCA website and they have lots of info. Hope that helps...
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2010, 10:55 PM   #5
hun77777
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: SG E92

few of us here in seattle went down to PIR for qtr miles last summer for test n tune event. i was going to attend bmwcca track lesson thingy but my schedule didn't allow me to but i heard it was very well organized and def worth the fee.

Appreciate 0
      12-16-2010, 02:05 AM   #6
seej333
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [6.00]
Cool! Thanks for the info guys. I'll have to look into these classes so I'm ready this summer.
      12-29-2010, 08:05 PM   #7
Ensi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 10' 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by seej333 View Post
Cool! Thanks for the info guys. I'll have to look into these classes so I'm ready this summer.
There is a class next weekend Jan 9th in Bremerton, PM if you want to go and I'll send you some info....
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2010, 10:02 PM   #8
Blackbird
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 Graphite Metallic

Garage List
2007 E90  [0.00]
I have only recently started doing club track events, so here's a novice's point of view.

You will find pricing to be best through the local car clubs. The BMW and Alfa clubs are your best bets. The Alfa club usually only has 2-3 Alfas in attendance, while there are a bunch of Bimmers, 'Vettes, Porches, Miatas, etc. Events are usually held during the week for purposes of track availability and keeping prices down. You'll pre-pay, and events are typically held rain or shine. Driving in the rain, as I did for my first driving school, can be a surprisingly good experience for the novice. You will be forced to focus on being smooth and finding your line rather than going as fast as you can.

As Ensi mentioned, a car control clinic (CCC) is a pre-req for lapping days / high performance driving schools (HPDS). Try to get your CCC done early in the year to give yourself more flexibility on the other events. A CCC with one club should satisfy any club's requirement.

Safety is always of paramount importance. Helmets are required and usually available for rent for a nominal fee. The BMW club does not permit convertibles (even hardtops) though the Alfa club does. Roll cages are not required. You must provide proof that a safety inspection has been performed by a local, certified mechanic within the 30 days (60?) preceding the HPDS or lapping day. It's not required for the CCC.

Lapping and HPDS days are generally set up with 4 driver classes (A-D) based on experience. Each group usually has the track for about 20 minutes at a time, so you'll have some downtime to get something to drink, let your engine and brakes cool, and check tire pressures. You will have an instructor with you for classes C-D, and must be signed off to drive solo in class A-B. You'll see a lot of the same instructors at the various club events.

Check out the club sites:
http://www.bmwpugetsound.com/
http://bmwpugetsound.com/drivingevents.htm
http://www.nwalfaclub.com/track/calendar.php

Appreciate 0
      12-29-2010, 11:26 PM   #9
96GS#007
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
I have only recently started doing club track events, so here's a novice's point of view.

You will find pricing to be best through the local car clubs. The BMW and Alfa clubs are your best bets. The Alfa club usually only has 2-3 Alfas in attendance, while there are a bunch of Bimmers, 'Vettes, Porches, Miatas, etc. Events are usually held during the week for purposes of track availability and keeping prices down. You'll pre-pay, and events are typically held rain or shine. Driving in the rain, as I did for my first driving school, can be a surprisingly good experience for the novice. You will be forced to focus on being smooth and finding your line rather than going as fast as you can.

As Ensi mentioned, a car control clinic (CCC) is a pre-req for lapping days / high performance driving schools (HPDS). Try to get your CCC done early in the year to give yourself more flexibility on the other events. A CCC with one club should satisfy any club's requirement.

Safety is always of paramount importance. Helmets are required and usually available for rent for a nominal fee. The BMW club does not permit convertibles (even hardtops) though the Alfa club does. Roll cages are not required. You must provide proof that a safety inspection has been performed by a local, certified mechanic within the 30 days (60?) preceding the HPDS or lapping day. It's not required for the CCC.

Lapping and HPDS days are generally set up with 4 driver classes (A-D) based on experience. Each group usually has the track for about 20 minutes at a time, so you'll have some downtime to get something to drink, let your engine and brakes cool, and check tire pressures. You will have an instructor with you for classes C-D, and must be signed off to drive solo in class A-B. You'll see a lot of the same instructors at the various club events.

Check out the club sites:
http://www.bmwpugetsound.com/
http://bmwpugetsound.com/drivingevents.htm
http://www.nwalfaclub.com/track/calendar.php
Blackbird hit all the pertinent points. I instruct for the various clubs.

For most, the first time on the track is a rather humbling yet amazing experience. Humbling in that technique errors can mean that a more experienced driver in a much slower car shows you their tail lights. For some people it's also quite humbling trying to learn the line around the track. It's amazing for people when they correct their errors. Many are also amazed at what is possible with a car.

Just be aware that once you start, it's addicting. Next thing you know you have specific track wheels and tires, brake pads for the track, brake cooling, engine mods, suspension mods....and on...and on...and on
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2010, 01:35 AM   #10
seej333
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [6.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by seej333 View Post
There is a class next weekend Jan 9th in Bremerton, PM if you want to go and I'll send you some info....
Thanks...but I gotta work that day