E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > iPhone media snap in adapter problem

08-11-2011, 08:41 PM   #1
jwzimm
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M3

iPhone media snap in adapter problem

Hello everyone.

I just took delivery of my brand new '11 335i X-drive coupe. I have the BMW Apps option and the iPhone/iPod option. I purchased the iPhone media snap-in adapter while I was there. I installed it with my PA there and there imdeiately was a problem. The phone would be recognized and charge but then about 30 seconds later it would disconnect and stop charging. We were able to get the iPod interface up on the iDrive for a second but as soon as the phone disconnected this went away (obviously). I figured, maybe a bad adapter, so I went back to the parts guys and swapped it for another. When I installed this one the phone wouldn't even try to connect. I can hear the fan come on when I snap the phone in but it would not connect or charge.

I spoke with the shop foreman and he said it could be a bad connection in the center console. Since I was going to be bringing the car back to the them on Wednesday for a clear-bra install I proposed that they can troubleshoot this issue then.

My question is, am I missing something obvious here? Since this car is brand new I tend to think it wouldn't be an issue with the car but everything else is dirt simple and I can't find anything else wrong.

What do you think?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2011, 09:21 AM   #2
jwzimm
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I guess no one has any ideas.

I'll have to see what the dealer says on Thursday.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 12:45 PM   #3
abcde
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 335i M Sport LeMansBlue

I have this problem too. Did you figure it out?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 01:00 PM   #4
jwzimm
Colonel
United_States
Rep

The result of diagnosis was that the wiring between the base plate in the center console and the combox was pinched on installation. They replaced the cable and the snap-in adapter works now.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2011, 11:01 AM   #5
Brenzo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i xDrive

Do you find yourself using the media adapter a lot? I'm contemplating whether or not to add it to my car, but I'm worried I'll get annoyed with continually popping in/out to check text messages (when stopped at lights of course.)

Also, I'm pretty sure I'll end up getting whatever new iPhone Apple releases in 2012, so I don't want to drop all that money to have an adapter that won't be compatible with a new phone form factor.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2011, 12:49 PM   #6
jwzimm
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I do use it alot really. I like to listen to Pandora most of the time so I have it docked. I do find myself forgetting the phone in the car often though. It would be nice if it beeped when I shut the car off or something.

I do like it better than the cable as it is much easier to dock and undock. I can do that with one hand vs. needing two for the cable.

One thing I wish was different was if I could get my text messages on the iDrive. It is annoying to have to open the armrest and look down to see when the message was. I don't get many texts though so it isn't too big of a deal.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2011, 01:31 PM   #7
Brenzo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i xDrive

Agreed, would love it if text messages could appear in the "Messages" Office center.
Appreciate 0