E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Tech professionals (VCPs especially)

03-27-2014, 11:40 AM   #1
richardg
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: MacanGTS, 991.2GT3, E63wagon

Tech professionals (VCPs especially)

I am currently studying for the VCP5-DCV and need to complete some coursework in order to sit for the exam. (Which I still feel is a money grab by emc/vmware) Does anyone have a suggestion for a great online course? My company won't pay for it so I would rather spend less than more, but it is an investment in myself so I won't complain too much.

While I am 90% confident I am ready for the exam I do believe the coursework would definitely help. Besides you HAVE to complete one anyway. Also do any VCP find the VCA even worth it if I intend on finishing the VCP?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2014, 12:20 PM   #2
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

I can sell you my VCR.

Appreciate 0
      03-27-2014, 12:37 PM   #3
richardg
Major
Canada
Rep

you ass lol
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2014, 12:41 PM   #4
ddk632
United_States
Rep

Haha, yeah I'm a programmer but have zero familiarity with VMWare certifications. So I offered the closest thing I could think of
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2014, 12:42 PM   #5
richardg
Major
Canada
Rep

Ah. I have been working with ESXi for a couple years now. I think the cert would do me some good. I could never develop or program though. That takes actual skill.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2014, 12:52 PM   #6
MidwestGolfBum
Knower of all Things Useless
North Korea
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92s

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardg View Post
I am currently studying for the VCP5-DCV and need to complete some coursework in order to sit for the exam. (Which I still feel is a money grab by emc/vmware) Does anyone have a suggestion for a great online course? My company won't pay for it so I would rather spend less than more, but it is an investment in myself so I won't complain too much.

While I am 90% confident I am ready for the exam I do believe the coursework would definitely help. Besides you HAVE to complete one anyway. Also do any VCP find the VCA even worth it if I intend on finishing the VCP?
While I don't have a good suggestion for an online course (I had our VMware person from one of our distributors come in and do all the training for my guys) I can answer the second question. If you are going to get the VCP, getting the VCA is somewhat redundant, though if you want to spent the $45 (or whatever it is now with their discounting) you certainly can as it will show you "care" a bit more. Is this something you are doing on your own or something you are doing because your job is requiring it? If it's the latter, tell them to pound sand until they will at the very least, help with the fees involved.

Everything about VMware is a money grab, you have to pay for partner levels, pay for exams which they require for partner levels, pay for coursework, etc., etc., etc.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2014, 01:17 PM   #7
ddk632
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ah. I have been working with ESXi for a couple years now. I think the cert would do me some good. I could never develop or program though. That takes actual skill.
Lol. It's funny because I so often hear from others.. Programmers don't have skills, they just copy and paste code! I call those guys "monkey hackers" to make the distinction.

Good luck with your exams.

Appreciate 0
      03-27-2014, 01:21 PM   #8
richardg
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestGolfBum View Post
While I don't have a good suggestion for an online course (I had our VMware person from one of our distributors come in and do all the training for my guys) I can answer the second question. If you are going to get the VCP, getting the VCA is somewhat redundant, though if you want to spent the $45 (or whatever it is now with their discounting) you certainly can as it will show you "care" a bit more. Is this something you are doing on your own or something you are doing because your job is requiring it? If it's the latter, tell them to pound sand until they will at the very least, help with the fees involved.

Everything about VMware is a money grab, you have to pay for partner levels, pay for exams which they require for partner levels, pay for coursework, etc., etc., etc.
It's something I am doing on my own. Just trying to make myself more employable/valuable.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2014, 02:37 PM   #9
MidwestGolfBum
Knower of all Things Useless
North Korea
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92s

Quote:
It's something I am doing on my own. Just trying to make myself more employable/valuable.
Ah, yes, assuming that you have some kind of access to VMware's site, you can get a lot of the training materials off of there. Like I said, I had one of my distributors come and give a training to all of my guys so that we could bang out the certs in a few days. Sorry for not being more help.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2014, 02:46 PM   #10
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a boss

Quote:

All the vcp courses are pretty similar.

Unfortunately they are mandatory before you can take the exam.

I got my vcp a few months ago, oct I think. The test itself is pretty random. Most of the questions around values for settings your rarely change.