E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90/E92/E93 Marketplace (For Sale / Trade / Wanted) > Vendor Comments/Review/Feedback Forum > TireRack Problems with 2 Wheel Sets

11-26-2013, 05:32 PM   #1
SVO
Private
Rep
Drives: '07 E90 335i

TireRack Problems with 2 Wheel Sets

Okay, I think I'm on a bad streak with P3Cars non-responsive and now formerly reliable TireRack has told me to go pound sand. I've got two sets of Moda wheels and both started to show signs of strange corrosion at about 2 years of age, 12 months of use. See pic.

I tried everything to clean- no dice, under clearcoat. Finally got so bad I can't stand the appearance and I am not picky about my car, so I call TireRack hoping they can help me figure out what it is and help me find a refinisher or give me a discount on a new set. Moda is a TireRack house brand so they probably get them pretty cheap.

TireRack says it is corrosive material getting under the clearcoat through a chip and the corrosion spreads in a worm trail pattern- they have seen it before. I thought that CO didn't use much of the chemical road de-icers but turns out that is wrong. So even though I would wash the wheels before storage (separate winter and summer sets- both have it) I guess a thorough detailing might have lessened the problem. But I swear there is zero chance the winter set was put away with any residue on them.

But I am SORELY disappointed in TireRack's response. They denied that Moda is their own brand (see bottom for old Audiworld post by TireRack employee). They know of no refinishing services in CO (maybe not an unrealistic expectation that given their business model they try to maintain a referral list for customers who need service). At most they would give me 10% off a new set. Really? I bet their margins are a LOT bigger than that on a private branded item. So they feel it necessary to squeeze some profit out of my misfortune with their poor quality product? Not a happy camper.

I am neither wealthy (car was CPO) nor anal about my car. But this really looks like crap and the TireRack just rubbed (road) salt in my wounds. Stay away from Moda and maybe TireRack. Oh, and I've bought 4 sets of wheels and 8 sets of tires over the past decade from them.

JD

"Eddie@Tirerack: Moda is our own brand. They are produced in Italy for us by Fondmetal. TUV approved- good build quality like everything we offer.

Good stuff. I have sold a few sets on 1st gen a4- great look. Let me know should you need them, or call me with any questions!"
Attached Images

Appreciate 0