E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Vishnu e85 Fuel Setup (Pics Inside)

11-30-2012, 10:46 AM   #1
JMARS
Not Baned
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 Single-T

Vishnu e85 Fuel Setup (Pics Inside)

Hey guys,
I was just on Vishnu's Facebook Page and I saw these interesting little e85 trinkets:
Enjoy!

12-01-2012, 12:59 AM   #2
trbolexis
Private
Rep
Drives: Lexus IS300

Awesome!

To give the images some context:

What we have in the first picture is the LPFP upgrade. It utilizes a Wal 400 E85 pump, mounted in a custom FFTEC housing. It is ran inline, after, the stock fuel pump to retain all factory venturi/bernoulli principal valves. No hacking of the stock fuel pump/hanger (which you risk damaging in the process), and no hacking of stock fuel feed lines. The upgrade eliminates the need to buy another factory LPFP, ever.

Second pic shows the fantastically designed, surge tank and Fuel Lab PWM fuel pump system we designed for Shivs car. Probably the most elaborate system I have personally seen/done on a BMW 335i to date. The picture shown is actually not the finished product, but was the "in process" photo. The photo is missing a second FPR to maintain a specific fuel pressure IN the surge tank as well -- Did I mention elaborate? Lots of R&D went into the setup to be sure it was 100% correct.

Last edited by trbolexis; 12-01-2012 at 01:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 06:43 AM   #3
TheJacka
Private
Rep
Drives: PilotLife

trbolexis,

Is this trunk setup just a one-off for Shiv's car or will this be available later on for public release?

2016 BMW S1000RR - BrenTuning - Akrapovic - Attack - Rizoma - Graves
2009 E92 335I / 6MT
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 07:38 AM   #4
Fully_Bolted
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Why was the upgrade needed on Shivs car? Are you running higher than 72psi to help augment the HPFP at those power levels? We've seen results showing the HPFP failing to stay on target on cars with just RB turbos, I can't imagine Shiv's HPFP is meeting demand without some form of upgrade
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 07:58 AM   #5
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Geesh this thing is far from what I expected as for being concealed...There has to be something better offered when its time for sale.. Direct replacement is one thing but to stick out like a sore thumb like that, I dunno I know Shivs car is a project car but I would hope the final offer is something that can be hidden from view and not something that looks like the sole purpose of the car is to RACEcar look in the trunk
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 08:12 AM   #6
Dave W.
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Porsche 951, 1992 Eagle Talon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cn555ic View Post
Geesh this thing is far from what I expected as for being concealed...There has to be something better offered when its time for sale.. Direct replacement is one thing but to stick out like a sore thumb like that, I dunno I know Shivs car is a project car but I would hope the final offer is something that can be hidden from view and not something that looks like the sole purpose of the car is to RACEcar look in the trunk
I think you missed the point. You're looking at two different products. The first pic is the In-tank LPFP upgrade. The second pic is Shiv's personal fuel system.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 08:15 AM   #7
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W. View Post
I think you missed the point. You're looking at two different products. The first pic is the In-tank LPFP upgrade. The second pic is Shiv's personal fuel system.
Oh okay. That's good then.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 12:54 PM   #8
ign335i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i e92

Why wouldn't you just place the E85 Walbro inside the tank like others are already doing. It fits right where the stock LPFP does and retains all venturis and stock fittings. Looking at the DIY it appears extremely easy to do and doesn't cost more than $200 in parts. Why not eliminate the weak link entirely? Is this at stock line pressure or higher? I can't see this being a better solution to replacing the LPFP unless the line pressure is jacked up. Not sure how comfortable I'd be with that either...
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 03:50 PM   #9
Sean@FFTEC
Rep
Drives: Porsche 996 Turbo

To answer a few questions.

Many people were wondering how we were supporting the fuel system on Shiv's car earlier this year. Now everybody knows. We were actually

running a prototype version of this system at the shift sector event back in February and have logged approximately 20k miles. This is a

heavily tested product.

This has played a crucial role (not the sole reason by any means) in Shiv's car producing over 600 whp on our mustang dyno on 100% e85

without changing methanol nozzles.

Our inline fuel pump remains intank so there are no issues with the pump overheating.

The installation of the fuel pump leaves all factory siphons intact and does not obstruct any of the fuel level sending units.

The fuel pump remains on at all times running variable voltage and reducing the strain on the factory fuel pump.

The efficiency of the Walbro fuel pump is increased at high fuel pressures because it is being fed instead of actually drawing in fuel.

Shiv and I have had several conversations with high performance fuel pump engineers on this topic.

I will post this in the other thread as well.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 04:43 PM   #10
Tony@vargasturbotech
Banned
Rep
Drives: N54

Its a surge tank, fed by an additional inline pump to maintain proper fuel pressure at all times. Why is this being touted as the newest thing on the planet because it is on a 335i? I built a setup almost identical to this but it was mounted under the car instead of in the trunk back in 1998 for one of our turbo watercooled VW projects. This is the natural progression of a fuel system as you make more and more HP, many platforms are already running setup's very similar to this. Not much RD needs to be done in my opinion. Just buy the parts and assemble it, its been proven to work for E85 across a range of platforms. With that being said, Kudos for being the first to do it in this platform. In my opinion it means you are on the bleeding edge of what needs to be done to achieve the next stage of high power levels for the N54.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 05:16 PM   #11
King mode
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vargasturbotech View Post
Its a surge tank, fed by an additional inline pump to maintain proper fuel pressure at all times. Why is this being touted as the newest thing on the planet because it is on a 335i? I built a setup almost identical to this but it was mounted under the car instead of in the trunk back in 1998 for one of our turbo watercooled VW projects. This is the natural progression of a fuel system as you make more and more HP, many platforms are already running setup's very similar to this. Not much RD needs to be done in my opinion. Just buy the parts and assemble it, its been proven to work for E85 across a range of platforms. With that being said, Kudos for being the first to do it in this platform. In my opinion it means you are on the bleeding edge of what needs to be done to achieve the next stage of high power levels for the N54.
+1. I have this setup on my 99' 1.8t big turbo car....
Appreciate 0