E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Bluetooth Retrofit: E90 335i with iDrive, Phone prep, Voice control, and USB

04-30-2015, 05:46 PM   #265
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 Crimson 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natef53 View Post
You beautiful bastard.

The mic doesn't work so I need to check the wiring but I am able to pair the phone now!

Thanks!
Glad to have helped!

Quote:
Going to be that double posting guy right now, sorry.

I just tore everything apart and triple checked the wiring for the mic. I've got the "sheath" of wires behind the glovebox with the yellow, black, and clear matched up on the connector. I've taped off the unused connectors.

I checked the reconfigured blue connector for the MULF2, everything is exactly as the guide says.

I also checked for the mic, even though I know its there because voice commands worked previously, all is well there.

Is there anything else that I could be missing to get the mic working?

Thanks in advance to anyone offering advice!
You could try wiring it back the way it was, but also pop the trunk and verify the wires exist in the MULF header - I've seen cases where they don't, and we just ran a new cable.
      05-02-2015, 09:53 AM   #266
Natef53
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: f80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexwhittemore View Post
Glad to have helped!

You could try wiring it back the way it was, but also pop the trunk and verify the wires exist in the MULF header - I've seen cases where they don't, and we just ran a new cable.
I tried to move the wires behind the glovebox to their original locations, no go.

When you say verify the wires exist in the MULF header, I moved the mic wires from the white connector that was plugged in to the MULF originally to the blue connector (pins 1,19,21). The sheath looks like the same one I was using behind the glovebox.

Running a new cable wouldn't be a terrible option if I just have to run it from the MULF to the mic in the headliner. I saw your post somewhere else about building a cable, could you provide any details on the install / building of the cable?

Thanks again for your help!
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2015, 04:03 PM   #267
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I tried to move the wires behind the glovebox to their original locations, no go.

When you say verify the wires exist in the MULF header, I moved the mic wires from the white connector that was plugged in to the MULF originally to the blue connector (pins 1,19,21). The sheath looks like the same one I was using behind the glovebox.

Running a new cable wouldn't be a terrible option if I just have to run it from the MULF to the mic in the headliner. I saw your post somewhere else about building a cable, could you provide any details on the install / building of the cable?

Thanks again for your help!
I'm not sure what you mean by white and blue connector, there's only one large harness that plugs into your MULF, right? Should be pins 1/19/21 on that.

Running a new cable is a bit of a PITA, but not the worst. I can do it in 30m or so now that I've done it a few times. You need to pull down the headliner (two screws in the sun visors), A pillar trim (one screw and some clips), fish the cable through the dash (easy with a hangar or some steel wire), left side driver footwell trim (one screw on the hood release), driver door scuff plate (just some clips), B pillar trim (clips), back driver's side scuff plate (clips), then some seat trim around the C pillar (remove the back seat, remove the seat back [2 big torx] remove the trim [clips]). Just zip tie to the existing wiring harness.

The cable itself is pretty straightforward - I've been making them by buying some shielded twisted pair 24ga wire on ebay, the Mic side connector can be made with 3 positions of breakaway .1" female pin header and some shrink tube, then on the other end crimp on 3 pin contacts. The part is TE Connectivity 963726-1, I got them from Mouser but it looks like they're not distributing them anymore, Newark has them cheap http://www.newark.com/te-connectivit...0120425_buyNow

I've also made cables for a bunch of people if you don't want to spend the time, though I charge more for the time and shipping. PM me if you want to go that route.

Have you already got the bluetooth antenna taken care of?
      05-18-2015, 01:04 PM   #268
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi 6spd Coupe

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Does anyone know of a way I can get the coding done for this in Boston?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2015, 01:20 PM   #269
rrlamichhane
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i Convertible

Can I pay someone to do all this? I hate messing around with cars, and I want integrated bluetooth music in my 2008 335ic.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2015, 01:22 PM   #270
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrlamichhane View Post
Can I pay someone to do all this? I hate messing around with cars, and I want integrated bluetooth music in my 2008 335ic.
You might want to post in the regional subforum. If you were in LA, I'd certainly be willing to help :P
      07-01-2015, 04:19 PM   #271
siphor1989
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 m340i xdrive

On my TCU connector, I have the yellow and black wires in pins 1 and 19 but I have a grey wire on pin 21 instead of clear one like in the DIY. The three wires are also in a black sheath instead of the clear one like the OP has. Anyone else come across something like this?

Also, I do not have voice command already so do I need to repin the connectors at the glovebox?

*update:* Turns out the yellow, black, and grey wire are for the mic. Had to repin the connector at the glovebox and the mic now works for the bluetooth. I tried adding VO $620 for voice control but that just disables the voice command for bluetooth as well... Not sure what's going on there.

Last edited by siphor1989; 07-11-2015 at 09:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2015, 10:49 PM   #272
freak1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 528i Sports Package

Just wondering what this unused connectors would be underneath my '06 330i E90 Sports Package center console. Is it prewired for some additional functions?
Btw, I have voice control, bluetooth phone with idrive and navigation from factory. Just looking for options to see if I can upgrade to usb playback.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thank you
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2015, 06:24 AM   #273
jezzy
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 06 E91 325xi Black Wagon

This is for a iPod/iPhone cradle that fits into the arm rest. You will need a tcu in the trunk for usb. Or go all out and get a combox
2009 CIC Retrofit + Combox
6NR, 6NF, snap-in retrofit
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2015, 07:23 AM   #274
freak1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jezzy View Post
This is for a iPod/iPhone cradle that fits into the arm rest. You will need a tcu in the trunk for usb. Or go all out and get a combox
Thank you for the information. Stumbled on the web and trying to figure out if I can just swap ULF with combox? Any link or hardware recommenation would be awesome. Btw, I don't want to do CCC to CIC retrofit. Just usb and mp3 playback will work for me.
Thanks again

Last edited by freak1; 07-31-2015 at 04:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2015, 09:54 AM   #275
freak1
Private First Class
Rep

Bump
My e90 330i build date is 2005/07. Is it possible to add mulf2 high svs to get usb playback feature? I would apprecite information. Btw, bimmertech had this option but its kinda expensive.
http://www.bimmer-tech.net/shop/bmw-...rface-retrofit
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2015, 02:27 PM   #276
ponytuning
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 F16 50i, 15' F15 50i

Hi all,

My E92 (2007) came with the options below, but despite this I can't find the fakra antenna wire under the driver's side footrest to do the bluetooth retrofit (I just bought a combox telematics module)
I do have three wires + a MOST connector in my trunk, but no MULF or TCU.

S620A - Voice control
S640A - Preparation f tel.installation universal
S693A - Preparation BMW satellite radio

Can I just purchase the BT antenna module and leave it in the trunk, connected to the combox module?
Or, else what's the best route to take to do this retrofit.

I also want to mention that my car has the CIC retrofit also.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2015, 10:28 AM   #277
dsantos08
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

If I have BMW assist do I still have to follow all these steps regarding rewiring the ULF and TCU in the trunk?

Or can I just connect the bluetooth antenna straight to the ULF in the trunk with a cable I bought on ebay. Then just code it and have it work?

Or will the microphone and voice assist not work this way unless I do all the wiring modifications as listed by the OP?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2015, 08:34 AM   #278
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

You can test now without the antenna. You might need the phone in the back seat, but it should at least connect. That way you can do only the coding and figure out exactly what hardware work you need to do before you even start.

That said, I think it'll go like this: code it. Everything looks good, you paid your phone and make a test call. You can hear them, they can't hear you. Then you need to figure out if you can re-pin the mic, or if you need to run a new wire.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2015, 10:26 AM   #279
dsantos08
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexwhittemore View Post
You can test now without the antenna. You might need the phone in the back seat, but it should at least connect. That way you can do only the coding and figure out exactly what hardware work you need to do before you even start.

That said, I think it'll go like this: code it. Everything looks good, you paid your phone and make a test call. You can hear them, they can't hear you. Then you need to figure out if you can re-pin the mic, or if you need to run a new wire.
I can't even pair my phone right now. When I hit menu on the radio, there isn't even a TEL icon. I took it to a shop last night and they said the auto logic is pulling an error code that it can't communicate with the radio unit so they are guessing it might of been replaced? They couldn't tell me for sure what was going on. But here is a pic of my radio when I hit menu.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-07-2015, 08:24 AM   #280
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

That's normal. You just need to code in $644 and do an sg_reset job at the menu before you've selected a specific module. That'll reset everything and the tel option and menu items will appear.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2015, 08:25 AM   #281
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Search sg_reset and you should find a more detailed procedure.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2015, 10:54 PM   #282
dsantos08
First Lieutenant
Rep

So I called BMW genius and they said my car definitely has BT installed. So I unscrewed the panel under the drivers side and there is actually a bluetooth antenna installed and connected by a wire. However on the panel, a square piece was already hanging out before I took it off so I popped it back in (I'm guessing this is the MOST connector?). I'm wondering if this hanging piece is a sign that the BT antenna was tampered with?

Anyways the antenna is installed and wired but somehow the TEL option doesn't pop up in the menu function of my radio. What is going on? Weird.

Also when I took the car to get scanned with autologic, they said it couldnt communicate to the radio. So I'm guessing this might have something to do with the BT not working?

EDIT (11/10): I just spoke with the previous owner and he confirmed that bluetooth worked and he used it all the time. I bought the car certified from a dealership. And I'm trying to figure out what went wrong between when he traded it in and when I bought it? Could the dealer have reset the codes on the car and in effect messed up the bluetooth functionality? Or maybe one of the technicians swapped out the radio head unit that was mated to the BT antenna? I'm going crazy trying to figure this thing out.

It looks like I have a combox installed with the Bluetooth antenna wired to it. This is so weird. Is there a chance the dealer swapped out the original radio and it's not compatible with my combox which is why the BT isn't working. But my iPhone plays just fine with the usb connection so I know the combox is working.
Attached Images

Last edited by dsantos08; 11-12-2015 at 05:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2015, 11:32 PM   #283
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

So your car is pre-wired for phone, which I suspect means a production date pre- September 2009. That means all you need to do is code 644, possibly install a mic (the wiring will be there). You code this option into CAS and FRM, you don't need to be able to communicate with the 2RAD module.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2015, 10:58 AM   #284
Vaivada
Vaivada
Lithuania
Rep
Drives: G20 M340xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbozz View Post
Hey I just got my car coded and the telephone option came up in the menu, the only thing is that when I go into the telephone menu the menu gets stuck in 'please wait loading screen' and I expertmode flashed NFRM, CAS, CIC. But MULF2 doesn't respond....I'm going to let me car sit for a day without turning it on while I'm at work..maybe that will help, but if not...does anybody know what the issue might be?
i have same isue , and i dont know what to do , i had ccc professional, i retrofited to cic and now doesnt work bluetooth(mulf2) maybe someone know what to do? ( my new car bmw e60 2008
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2015, 07:09 AM   #285
ptpending
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e91

you need to code CIC with bluetooth option
      12-30-2015, 12:25 PM   #286
thethief1
Registered
Rep
Drives: E90 316i Sedan 2011

Great job, I need another version of this DIY. I am going to create a new topic. I'll appreciate your help.
Appreciate 0