E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Back pressure is never good- ever. (technical/dyno)

10-03-2014, 07:01 PM   #23
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT / E92 328 Msport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow191 View Post
Are you actually saying that what you feel is going to be more accurate than a dyno? Have you ever put a car on the dyno? Would you buy a product based on people saying that they felt it made the car faster? Or would you ask for dyno claims?

I've been at the strip and there were times my car "felt" faster for whatever reason but the times were slower. Ie, I changed something and I really thought my car was faster, but it ran the same times or slower. So if I had never run my car, I would have sworn that the mod worked. But numbers don't lie. I've been disappointed plenty of times with stuff that I thought made the car faster, but the dyno proved that wrong.

If you're happy with a mod you do and you feel that the car is faster, that's great. We all mod our cars for ourselves. But basically telling people that the dyno doesn't matter does a disservice.

FWIW, I've deleted cats, used High flow cats, added resonators, changed mufflers, piping diamter, custom downpipes, basically on a previous car we built a turbo system from scratch along with exhaust. I was fortunate that a friend owned a shop with dyno so we could know what worked and didnt. I will say that what I felt and what the dyno said were often not in sync. The human mind is very unreliable.
As someone who spends a considerable amount on the dyno and reading dyno graphs, I absolutely agree. I would say my butt dyno calibration is better than most, I can feels subtle increases as little as 5whp - When I did the first flash of OE's tune, I could feel the the change in power, and the exact RPM when it it happened (confirmed by dyno).

That brings me to my next point, what people are often "feeling" when they drive the car is torque changes. If the torque is spread out over a larger RPM instead of being as peaky, people can perceive that feeling as a loss of torque, even though there is more of it.

Last edited by Taskmaster; 10-03-2014 at 07:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 09:24 PM   #24
bimmerquick43321
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow191 View Post
Are you actually saying that what you feel is going to be more accurate than a dyno? Have you ever put a car on the dyno? Would you buy a product based on people saying that they felt it made the car faster? Or would you ask for dyno claims?

If you're happy with a mod you do and you feel that the car is faster, that's great. We all mod our cars for ourselves. But basically telling people that the dyno doesn't matter does a disservice.
Never said any of that (for the dynos I was talking for small hp difference, maybe 5-10whp is exagerated a little,but you can expect a few hp differences between runs and i don't think I'm teaching anyone anything new here), never said either that there's no gain in power to be had in the higher rpm 's where it matters when you race, I've already mentioned what my point was, so I'm not gonna repeat it again.

Last edited by bimmerquick43321; 10-03-2014 at 09:39 PM..
Appreciate 0