E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Video + PC Gaming / Computing > Do the new iPhones currently being sold in stores still have the antenna problem?

12-28-2010, 11:07 AM   #1
MontegoGoGoGo
I'm kind of a bitch
United_States
Rep
Drives: Montego/Cream E93

Garage List
2007 E93  [0.00]
Do the new iPhones currently being sold in stores still have the antenna problem?

Have they fixed it? Besides software updates and cases for the older phones?

Do the new phones still have this problem? Anyone know? I shattered my phone yesterday so have to make a decision ASAP.

Thanks!
      12-28-2010, 11:15 AM   #2
quagmire
I am Gundam
Rep
Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS

It's the exact same phone when it launched. The whole antennagate was majorly overblown. The 3G and 3GS, Nexus One, etc all exhibited signal drops when the antenna was covered and in an area where the signal isn't the greatest which can cause the bars to go down because when the db dropped, it went into the 3-4 bar range. At my house, it drops low enough to cause it to go to 3-4 bars. But at Nationals Park, the db's are still within the range of 5 bars.

In real usage for me, I never had a problem with it as I don't bear hug the phone when I hold it to talk.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2010, 02:32 PM   #3
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Quote:
Originally Posted by quagmire View Post
It's the exact same phone when it launched. The whole antennagate was majorly overblown. The 3G and 3GS, Nexus One, etc all exhibited signal drops when the antenna was covered and in an area where the signal isn't the greatest which can cause the bars to go down because when the db dropped, it went into the 3-4 bar range. At my house, it drops low enough to cause it to go to 3-4 bars. But at Nationals Park, the db's are still within the range of 5 bars.

In real usage for me, I never had a problem with it as I don't bear hug the phone when I hold it to talk.
I agree that antennagate was overblown, but I think most of that had to do with how Steve Jobs and Apple reacted, or failed to care, about the situation. Between the "don't hold it that way" (even after holding it exactly that way in their own demos and release) and "oops I guess we've been accidentally artificially inflating signal strength representation for years", they deserved all the negative press they could get IMO. Instead of alienating and annoying competitors, they now focused on alienating their own customer base. GG Apple.

And yes, the other phones do exhibit the same behavior when their antennas encounter a similar situation, but generally not to the degree that happened on the iPhone 4.

But yeah, OP, like quag said, it's the same thing as at launch.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2010, 03:02 PM   #4
quagmire
I am Gundam
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
I agree that antennagate was overblown, but I think most of that had to do with how Steve Jobs and Apple reacted, or failed to care, about the situation. Between the "don't hold it that way" (even after holding it exactly that way in their own demos and release) and "oops I guess we've been accidentally artificially inflating signal strength representation for years", they deserved all the negative press they could get IMO. Instead of alienating and annoying competitors, they now focused on alienating their own customer base. GG Apple.

And yes, the other phones do exhibit the same behavior when their antennas encounter a similar situation, but generally not to the degree that happened on the iPhone 4.

But yeah, OP, like quag said, it's the same thing as at launch.
What I find funny is how people reacted who know how Steve and Apple respond to these sort of things. I can understand the average idiot not knowing Steve's personality and how Apple operates, but hilarious seeing fanboys getting pissed. The reaction by Jobs was his classic self. He always does those one liners, etc. A lot of times they do seem harsh like the, " Don't hold it that way" comment. Yet, the fanboys full knowing this is how he is get all pissed off. Guess they were fine with it until it affected their precious Apple device.

I disagree with the 4 being more sensitive then others. Here is a Nexus One video showing an -81 db when untouched and drops to -101 to -103 db when he covers the antenna. The 4 also drops similarly( mine drops by around -20 db).

Appreciate 0
      12-28-2010, 03:13 PM   #5
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep

Quote:
What I find funny is how people reacted who know how Steve and Apple respond to these sort of things. I can understand the average idiot not knowing Steve's personality and how Apple operates, but hilarious seeing fanboys getting pissed. The reaction by Jobs was his classic self. He always does those one liners, etc. A lot of times they do seem harsh like the, " Don't hold it that way" comment. Yet, the fanboys full knowing this is how he is get all pissed off. Guess they were fine with it until it affected their precious Apple device.
I had the first gen iPhone, the 3G, and the 3GS, and I have to say that the antenna issue and reaction on the iPhone4 didn't piss me off nearly as much as them finally coming out and saying they accidentally were inflating the signal strength representation, after telling us we were crazy for those years....

It was like a big "fuck you".

As far as the antenna goes, my train of logic would be "either don't hold it that way, or get a frickin case". Steve Jobs' one-liner wasn't what really ticked me off about antennagate. It was the staunch denial of the issue, followed by a pained solution which should have been implemented in the first place. Give everyone a case. It is what it is and you can take it or leave it. Apple is quite the anomaly in the sense that they can pull shit like that and the fanboys will go from red-faced to completely forgetful by the time the next gen comes out, whether or not the problem is even ever addressed.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2010, 03:24 PM   #6
choicez
Major
Rep
Drives: you mad

I'll be honest and I still have antenna signal problems with even a case. I love my iphone 4 so much that i just learn to deal with the situation. If i were you, I would try to find a temp replacement or find someone to replace your glass screen (if that's the only thing shattered) because the new iPhone will be released in 6 months with an antenna fix.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2010, 03:28 PM   #7
quagmire
I am Gundam
Rep

Quote:
I had the first gen iPhone, the 3G, and the 3GS, and I have to say that the antenna issue and reaction on the iPhone4 didn't piss me off nearly as much as them finally coming out and saying they accidentally were inflating the signal strength representation, after telling us we were crazy for those years....

It was like a big "fuck you".
Yeah, I doubt they accidentally found out they were inflating the signal strength. When I upgraded from the original to the 3G, I had 2 bars of 3G at home. Apple then released iOS 2.1 and my signal strength magically went to 4 bars on 3G. So yeah, they knew they were being misleading with it.

Another note when the 3GS came out last year, people were noticing the signal drop as well, but it never gained any traction like the 4 did. Guess Jobs highlighting the new antenna design brought attention to it magnifying antennagate.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2010, 03:38 PM   #8
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, I doubt they accidentally found out they were inflating the signal strength. When I upgraded from the original to the 3G, I had 2 bars of 3G at home. Apple then released iOS 2.1 and my signal strength magically went to 4 bars on 3G. So yeah, they knew they were being misleading with it.

Another note when the 3GS came out last year, people were noticing the signal drop as well, but it never gained any traction like the 4 did. Guess Jobs highlighting the new antenna design brought attention to it magnifying antennagate.
Yeah of course they knew. But they denied there was a signal strength issue up and down until this year.... One thing that was consistent with all of my iPhones was their ability to drop calls or get shitty signal more so than other phones I've had. In the past, it wasn't THAT big of a deal, because there really wasn't a device that could compete with it. Now that there are plenty of them, it's nice to be able to not feel like I'm being held hostage if I want that type of phone.

Honestly, I don't see Apple changing their attitude and the way they deal with issues in the future. As great as the iPhone 4 is, this time around I voted with my wallet. Unfortunately, there are too many people out there who will stick with apple even if the iPhone 5 was nothing more than a brick of solidified bear shit. It would be nice if people jumped ship and forced Apple to be not so douchebaggy.

Although the iPhone 4 is generally the best phone out there (being very broad and generally speaking), it is so nice to have valid options now. With the rate that other manufacturers are progressing, Apple very well may have to start caring about how they treat their fan base when confronted with very real issues.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2010, 04:04 PM   #9
quagmire
I am Gundam
Rep

Quote:
Yeah of course they knew. But they denied there was a signal strength issue up and down until this year.... One thing that was consistent with all of my iPhones was their ability to drop calls or get shitty signal more so than other phones I've had. In the past, it wasn't THAT big of a deal, because there really wasn't a device that could compete with it. Now that there are plenty of them, it's nice to be able to not feel like I'm being held hostage if I want that type of phone.

Honestly, I don't see Apple changing their attitude and the way they deal with issues in the future. As great as the iPhone 4 is, this time around I voted with my wallet. Unfortunately, there are too many people out there who will stick with apple even if the iPhone 5 was nothing more than a brick of solidified bear shit. It would be nice if people jumped ship and forced Apple to be not so douchebaggy.

Although the iPhone 4 is generally the best phone out there (being very broad and generally speaking), it is so nice to have valid options now. With the rate that other manufacturers are progressing, Apple very well may have to start caring about how they treat their fan base when confronted with very real issues.
People are more ready to blame AT&T for shitty coverage then Apple because they figure it is the network that is causing their poor reception( it probably is lol).

As for me, I am surprisingly happy with AT&T overall. I get good reception at home now( 5 bars on EDGE and 4 bars on 3G) and 5 bars on both down in Daytona. Only time I don't get reception is when I am on the auto train going through the middle of no where. I hate how they rape you for their service plans, but Verizon is the same way. So that is a moot point.
Appreciate 0