E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Squealing noise after cold start since replacing waterpump

12-17-2018, 04:15 PM   #1
katatonia
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 335xi 6mt

Squealing noise after cold start since replacing waterpump

Just had my waterpump+tstat done at a reputable indy. Since getting the car back, there's a squealing/squeaking noise in the morning after cold starting it. The noise goes away after a couple minutes driving. While cold, the squealing intensifies when touching the throttle, which is why i think it's belt related. Driving the car home from work the squealing is gone, just in the morning when it's really cold. Is this a cause for concern?

I replaced the belt, pulleys, and tensioner like 30,000km ago. Do these need to come apart to do the water pump? Maybe the belt is too tight?
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 04:45 PM   #2
330istocknot
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330chino

check your tension pulley. Pretty easy to replace. open the hood and have someone else turn on the car, if the noise seems to be coming from the tension pulley then its bad. You can also remove it, and if it freepins then its already bad. That would be the first thing i would check. cheap and easy to replace.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 04:50 PM   #3
ryan stewart
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 328it

Coolant got on your belt and/or pulley. The squeal is it slipping on pulleys. As things heat up and expand a little it usually goes away but the damage is done when cold. The slipping will glaze or polish the belt, making it even more prone to slipping.

You could pull the belt and if any parts of it are shiny try and clean them, if the shiny comes off you might be OK but if not that means its permanent to that belt. Make sure you clean the pulleys really well before replacing the belt as well, wouldnt want to put a clean belt on a pulley covered in residue.
Appreciate 0