E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - New England > Exhaust shop recommendation

10-21-2017, 11:11 PM   #1
crystalline
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Exhaust shop recommendation

Does anyone have a recommendation in MA (preferably north of Boston) for an exhaust shop who will modify the OEM exhaust with resonators and an x pipe?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2017, 08:44 AM   #2
CSI
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11e91 & 13e70d

Not an exhaust shop, but they will install for you with standard labor rates. They put in test pipes and a cat back for my M3, and they do awesome work. VSR in Bedford, NH.
Appreciate 1
      10-24-2017, 07:52 PM   #3
crystalline
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSI View Post
Not an exhaust shop, but they will install for you with standard labor rates. They put in test pipes and a cat back for my M3, and they do awesome work. VSR in Bedford, NH.
I figured it might be easier to get the work done in NH, thanks for the recommendation. Anyone else? I am open to anything in southern NH as well.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2017, 09:06 AM   #4
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Single Turbo N54 on Meth!

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
I've always had great luck at lou's custom exhaust. I have used a number of different locations and all have been fine and easy to work with.

I currently have been going to: 200 Sutton St, North Andover, MA 01845 and they have been fine. Did an exhaust on my maxima and work on my E92 exhaust. Fair price, work done quickly, good guys who run the shop. Tell them the guy in the blue BMW sent you. They will know who I am.
Appreciate 1
      10-25-2017, 10:14 AM   #5
crystalline
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgus View Post
I've always had great luck at lou's custom exhaust. I have used a number of different locations and all have been fine and easy to work with.

I currently have been going to: 200 Sutton St, North Andover, MA 01845 and they have been fine. Did an exhaust on my maxima and work on my E92 exhaust. Fair price, work done quickly, good guys who run the shop. Tell them the guy in the blue BMW sent you. They will know who I am.
Thanks, the place in North Andover isn't too far from me. I was worried that a place like lou's wouldn't remove the secondary cats and replace them with resonators? I took my 370z to a location that used to be a lou's (bay state muffler) after I bought a new catback and they refused to work on it because it had LTH.
Appreciate 1
Torgus3781.50
      10-25-2017, 10:21 AM   #6
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalline View Post
Thanks, the place in North Andover isn't too far from me. I was worried that a place like lou's wouldn't remove the secondary cats and replace them with resonators? I took my 370z to a location that used to be a lou's (bay state muffler) after I bought a new catback and they refused to work on it because it had LTH.
LTH?

You could always call them ahead of time to be sure. I would do this anyways so you have an appointment and are not stuck just waiting around for a free bay. I wouldn't call it a cat even if it is one. Call it a factory resonator that you want to replace with aftermarket.

In the past Lou's removed whatever I wanted as long as I paid cash. The one in North Andover is more of a normal automotive shop who happen to work on exhausts and bought into the Lou's franchise/name. Other Lou's I have gone to like North Reading were a pure exhaust shop and did nothing else.

North Andover is called Sutton Street Service: http://www.suttonstreetservice.com/index.php

Appreciate 0
      10-25-2017, 10:26 AM   #7
crystalline
Private
Rep

Quote:
LTH?

You could always call them ahead of time to be sure. I would do this anyways so you have an appointment and are not stuck just waiting around for a free bay. I wouldn't call it a cat even if it is one. Call it a factory resonator that you want to replace with aftermarket.

In the past Lou's removed whatever I wanted as long as I paid cash. The one in North Andover is more of a normal automotive shop who happen to work on exhausts and bought into the Lou's franchise/name. Other Lou's I have gone to like North Reading were a pure exhaust shop and did nothing else.

North Andover is called Sutton Street Service: http://www.suttonstreetservice.com/index.php

Long tube headers. My plan was to call it the "factory resonator". Going to order the parts and try a few places. Hopefully someone will do it without a ton of hassle.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2017, 10:55 AM   #8
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
Quote:
Long tube headers. My plan was to call it the "factory resonator". Going to order the parts and try a few places. Hopefully someone will do it without a ton of hassle.
Oh yeah, I wouldn't trust Lous to do a headers install. I would go to a real mechanic or speed shop for that.

Jack stands, sawzall, exhaust clamps and do it yourself? Or cut the shit out yourself, drive there, and just say weld this piece right in here.

Just some ideas.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2017, 11:58 AM   #9
crystalline
Private
Rep

Quote:
Oh yeah, I wouldn't trust Lous to do a headers install. I would go to a real mechanic or speed shop for that.

Jack stands, sawzall, exhaust clamps and do it yourself? Or cut the shit out yourself, drive there, and just say weld this piece right in here.

Just some ideas.
I was asking them to change my catback from a HKS knockoff that didn't fit great to one made by Fast Intentions. They refused because I had headers installed (which I had installed previously).

I don't expect the same level of resistance this time though, my car doesn't have down pipes installed.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2017, 12:05 PM   #10
carsonc10
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

I got my delete done at Bay State Muffler in Peabody. They charged me like $200 just to cut and weld because it was a BMW. Did a decent job, but on the pricy side imo.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2017, 06:39 PM   #11
crystalline
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by carsonc10 View Post
I got my delete done at Bay State Muffler in Peabody. They charged me like $200 just to cut and weld because it was a BMW. Did a decent job, but on the pricy side imo.
Interesting, it was ~5 years ago when they refused to work on my 370z. They are about 10min from my house, so I might see what they say.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2017, 09:20 AM   #12
tvpham93
Private
Rep
Drives: F25 X3

I just had my 1792 welded on at the one in manchester. I provided my own resonators, was sub $100. Funny thing was I didn't have any honeycomb material left in my secondaries haha. Must've 2 step them out.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2017, 07:41 PM   #13
crystalline
Private
Rep

I ended up getting it done at Lou's in Salem NH. 2x Vibrant 1792 and an X pipe. Quality looked decent enough when it was all said and done. Not going to see it any case.

I did take the car to Baystate Muffler first and got the same clown who refused to install the catback on my 370z. He was rude from the moment I started talking to him and then apparently decided that he would waste my time. He put the car on the lift and proceeded to tell me that he knows all about how these cars have four converters and he wouldn't be replacing the "resonators". He then proceeded to say the X pipe wouldn't fit (lol). He then acted confused when I told him to get my car off the lift...

Sutton Street Service was closed (power is still out in that neighborhood) or I would have tried there first.
Appreciate 1
      11-03-2017, 08:06 AM   #14
carsonc10
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

Quote:
Interesting, it was ~5 years ago when they refused to work on my 370z. They are about 10min from my house, so I might see what they say.
Really? When I visited them, they were one of the only places around who would do it. They were very nice and let me come out to the floor to see the cut and pick out a tip. They have just generic tips so if I were you, I'd come with my own tips.
Quote:
I did take the car to Baystate Muffler first and got the same clown who refused to install the catback on my 370z. He was rude from the moment I started talking to him and then apparently decided that he would waste my time. He put the car on the lift and proceeded to tell me that he knows all about how these cars have four converters and he wouldn't be replacing the "resonators". He then proceeded to say the X pipe wouldn't fit (lol). He then acted confused when I told him to get my car off the lift...
Huh. I didn't get that kind of service at all. I mean it wasn't a big job for me, but still. Thats what they do, custom exhaust work, its on their logo. I don't understand why some shops won't do the work. They are getting paid for what they say they are experts in. Shame.
Appreciate 0