E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Paint Bubbles on the rear quarter

08-03-2013, 04:46 PM   #1
insane79
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 lci

Paint Bubbles on the rear quarter

Guys,
I noticed this today on my rear right side quarter panel, the rear quater of the car was never painted by my knowledge as it wasnt damaged ever. I got my car(2009) preowned from bmw over here which comes with 2 year warranty like the CPO cars your'll have in usa. I have this car since a year now & just noticed this today, i guess it was always there & never came to my attention. I got the car waxed washed & got paint sealant applied recently by a professional detailer. Can these bubbles be caused by a paint sealant? its only on this portion of the car, i dunno what i should do, need help. Pic was taken under yellow street light, car is White.
Thanks.

Appreciate 0
      08-03-2013, 06:22 PM   #2
Otruba_843
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90

No sealant will do that. I hope you didn't pay for a paint correction, because by the looks of it if you did, you got stiffed.
      08-03-2013, 06:27 PM   #3
insane79
Major
No_Country
Rep

nope i didn't pay for the paint correction, i got my rear bumper replaced for a new one at a dealer 1 month back as of a small accident. The rear quater panel was untouched & just noticed these paint bubbles today, i bought this car preowned from bmw, over here they call it BMW Premium Selection, its the same as CPO in usa. Car comes with 2 years preowned warranty which i have 1 year left. Dunno if the dealer will rectify this by warranty as the car is a 2009 model. Do CPO cars in usa come with paint warranty?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2013, 07:02 PM   #4
FI PETE
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black 328i E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by insane79 View Post
nope i didn't pay for the paint correction, i got my rear bumper replaced for a new one at a dealer 1 month back as of a small accident. The rear quater panel was untouched & just noticed these paint bubbles today, i bought this car preowned from bmw, over here they call it BMW Premium Selection, its the same as CPO in usa. Car comes with 2 years preowned warranty which i have 1 year left. Dunno if the dealer will rectify this by warranty as the car is a 2009 model. Do CPO cars in usa come with paint warranty?
If the car has never been repainted as you say, then the dealership should take care of that issue being a factory problem.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2013, 07:08 PM   #5
insane79
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FI PETE View Post
If the car has never been repainted as you say, then the dealership should take care of that issue being a factory problem.
the car is technically 4 years old being a 2009 model, will they still honour the paint warranty? is there a way to polish of the bubbles? Since i bought the car which was 1 year ago preowned from bmw i haven't got it repainted but dunno if they have done that before they put it for sale in the preowned section?

Thanks..
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2013, 07:13 PM   #6
insane79
Major
No_Country
Rep

is it possible for the paint to show bubbles after 4 years? i guess the car has been painted recently say 1.5 years back before i purchased it from bmw preowned selection? Factory paint doesn't bubble normally right?

Thanks..
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 07:44 AM   #7
FI PETE
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
the car is technically 4 years old being a 2009 model, will they still honour the paint warranty? is there a way to polish of the bubbles? Since i bought the car which was 1 year ago preowned from bmw i haven't got it repainted but dunno if they have done that before they put it for sale in the preowned section?

Thanks..
Those bubbles cannot be polished off..that paintwork needs to be removed, the surface under it needs to be properly prepped and repainted. Looks like you'll be stuck with the bill.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 07:47 AM   #8
FI PETE
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
is it possible for the paint to show bubbles after 4 years? i guess the car has been painted recently say 1.5 years back before i purchased it from bmw preowned selection? Factory paint doesn't bubble normally right?

Thanks..
Factory paint rarely bubbles up but it can happend due to a failing pannel underneath it. Rust can cause paint to bubble up like that as well as bad surface prep before they repainted that quarter preventing the paint to set as it should and lifting up creating those bubbles
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 08:16 AM   #9
insane79
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FI PETE View Post
Factory paint rarely bubbles up but it can happend due to a failing pannel underneath it. Rust can cause paint to bubble up like that as well as bad surface prep before they repainted that quarter preventing the paint to set as it should and lifting up creating those bubbles
hmmn, got a appointment booked for next week with the dealer who sold me the car, by the pic above you think it can be rust? i am abit tensed now, hope they repainted that quarter panel before giving me the car.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 11:57 AM   #10
FI PETE
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
hmmn, got a appointment booked for next week with the dealer who sold me the car, by the pic above you think it can be rust? i am abit tensed now, hope they repainted that quarter panel before giving me the car.
I don't know what could be causing your paint to bubble up like that..I'm just telling you 2 main reasons why that would happen..hope all goes well at the dealership.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2013, 09:02 AM   #11
insane79
Major
No_Country
Rep

I m getting my car detailed next week, is it ok if the detailer does the detailing process on the rear quarter panel that has the bubbles? or should he avoid the part of the paint that has the bubbles?

Thanks..
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2013, 03:32 PM   #12
insane79
Major
No_Country
Rep

UPDATE-
I decided to give the car to the dealer later on as been enjoying my new m3 steering wheel too much This has shocked me, today was checking the rear quarter panel again & i see no bubbles, they have disappeared
how is that possible? not even a single one is there.

Thanks..
Appreciate 0