E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90/E92/E93 Marketplace (For Sale / Trade / Wanted) > Vendor Comments/Review/Feedback Forum > HID AEs possibly yellowing, need stock photos

01-22-2013, 09:37 AM   #1
Eric335
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 SG 335i 6MT

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [7.66]
HID AEs possibly yellowing, need stock photos

Hey everyone,

Ive been running the AlpineMSS HID AE kit for about a year (and only 5k miles). Ive started to notice that they might be yellowing, which is something i was afraid of. I am requesting photos of your stock inner angel eye rings to see if i am correct. I need high-resolution photos that clearly show the inner/outer rings while OFF.

I was assured by Alex@AlpineMSS that they would not yellow, due to the glass covering the HID bulbs and some other trickery he used. Unfortunately, i think he might be wrong. They yellowing isnt too bad yet, but i would love to get some answers and take them off if it is yellowing.

So, post up them photos! Ill post some photos of mine later today or tommorrow.

-Eric
      01-22-2013, 09:45 AM   #2
Richurd
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too slow.

Oh, I remember warning you about this. If it looks like its yellowing than more than likely it is and the internals may have melted a little.

I ran the alpine hid and my headlights yellowed. After a bit, it may also look greenish. Internals melted a little too. Just my experience.
      01-22-2013, 09:52 AM   #3
Josh1a1h
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AzuriteBlack 335i E92

Yea, I had this issue. Take them out. They are rubbish mate.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 09:57 AM   #4
Tech-Obsessed
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e90 Xi

Crap, I was unaware of this, will have a look at mine today but given the news I will likely just remove them...great... 2 hours and scratched digits again
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 11:20 AM   #5
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Well if anyone is worried about this happening to them I know HPB uses UV free bulbs that won't cause yellowing.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 11:27 AM   #6
taranonline
Banned
Rep
Drives: Man

Alpine has horrible service. Dont buy stuff from this guy!! Wasted over $400.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 11:42 AM   #7
BOBKUR
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 E 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric335 View Post
Hey everyone,

Ive been running the AlpineMSS HID AE kit for about a year (and only 5k miles). Ive started to notice that they might be yellowing, which is something i was afraid of. I am requesting photos of your stock inner angel eye rings to see if i am correct. I need high-resolution photos that clearly show the inner/outer rings while OFF.

I was assured by Alex@AlpineMSS that they would not yellow, due to the glass covering the HID bulbs and some other trickery he used. Unfortunately, i think he might be wrong. They yellowing isnt too bad yet, but i would love to get some answers and take them off if it is yellowing.

So, post up them photos! Ill post some photos of mine later today or tommorrow.

-Eric
when you put that kind of heat in the headlight what did you think would happen.BMW had a reason for using the bulb that they did.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 11:50 AM   #8
osteopathXI
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328xi Coupe E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions
Well if anyone is worried about this happening to them I know HPB uses UV free bulbs that won't cause yellowing.
Yea but HPB AE kit will also interact with your TPMS and throw an inactive code and light on your dash... go with LUX H8 V3's. yes they're more expensive but in this case, you do get what you pay for........
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 02:30 PM   #9
jwong77
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 530e

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by osteopathXI View Post
Yea but HPB AE kit will also interact with your TPMS and throw an inactive code and light on your dash... go with LUX H8 V3's. yes they're more expensive but in this case, you do get what you pay for........
I agree with this, the LUX kit was easy and you really do get what you pay for.
      01-22-2013, 03:29 PM   #10
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Pardon me if I sound defensive here but HPB has a very fair policy, if you have a problem with your units, contact them first. Spreading rumors and blanket statements about their products is simply unfair. They have a solid reputation and I've personally installed dozens of those angel eyes myself in person and there were no problems. I just contacted HPB and after the 100's they sold less then 1% had a problem and they made it right for those individuals. Please contact them before posting problems. If you post negative remarks without giving them the opportunity to help you they will refuse to work with you. Note:You also have a 2007 model which is very problematic. We've installed HID kits on 2007 and I would say over 9/10 were error free but there is always one 2007 that likes to be a problem.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 03:44 PM   #11
E3r2E9r
Banned
Rep
Drives: 3 Series

Thats funny my hpb angel eyes are great. No problems. I also saved a good chunk of change and they are great to work with and their products are quality. I send all my friends to hpb for their lighting needs. We need more vendors like hpb that put out quality products for a good price. There are so many sketchy companies selling lighting these days you never know what your going to get and if you have a problem most of them have non existent customer service. Even some lighting vendors on here have a bad reputation and there enough complaints yet people use them anyway. I learned my lesson once.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 04:22 PM   #12
Eric335
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 SG 335i 6MT

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [7.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richurd View Post
Oh, I remember warning you about this. If it looks like its yellowing than more than likely it is and the internals may have melted a little.

I ran the alpine hid and my headlights yellowed. After a bit, it may also look greenish. Internals melted a little too. Just my experience.
Ill take a look, im afraid this has happened. If so, they are coming off
      01-22-2013, 04:30 PM   #13
HPB_guy
Banned
Rep
Drives: SL550

Quote:
Funny, we don't have any complaints about this issue on any of our new LED Angel Eyes from our customers and we have sold hundreds of these units. I know of only one issue with a TPMS sensor and we replaced the set, it was returned to us with a damaged wire which likely caused the issue. If you had an issue you should have contacted us about it. Posting here does zero to help you, plus you have an 07 model, they have all sorts of computer related issues to begin with, especially with lighting. Claiming others will have this issue is not at all true.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 05:07 PM   #14
cisf0rcalvin
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI

Garage List
2010 BMW 328i  [8.50]
I have HPB HID bulbs for the AEs and they run fine. One pair went bad about a year after I purchased it and they exchanged it under warranty with no questions asked.
Add Ons: Charcoal Filter Delete, K&N Drop-in, Air Scoops, HID Angel Eyes, Splitters, M3 Lip Spoiler, Gloss Black Kidney Grills, Blackvue DR500-GW, M-Tech rear, BMW Performance Exhaust, M3 control arms, Bilstein HD
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 06:24 PM   #15
osteopathXI
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPB_guy View Post
Funny, we don't have any complaints about this issue on any of our new LED Angel Eyes from our customers and we have sold hundreds of these units. I know of only one issue with a TPMS sensor and we replaced the set, it was returned to us with a damaged wire which likely caused the issue. If you had an issue you should have contacted us about it. Posting here does zero to help you, plus you have an 07 model, they have all sorts of computer related issues to begin with, especially with lighting. Claiming others will have this issue is not at all true.
Funny, I did contact you when this happened, gave you a good week to respond, and when you didn't, I had to open a PayPal claim against you, to which you wrote an email, saying "we can't help you now". Real good Customer Service
Anyways, yea HPB will take back anything they sell, MINUS 20% restocking fee. Must take a lot of effort to put these AE back on the shelf...
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 08:59 PM   #16
StylinE92
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92

They didn't charge me a restocking fee when I ordered the wrong set of bulbs and they helped me get the correct ones. I've ordered quite a few things from them without any problems including the 20 watt angel eyes which I have had for a while now. Looking at the way you act here, they probably stuck it to you for being a dick.

Just sayin'

Appreciate 0
      01-23-2013, 08:36 AM   #17
osteopathXI
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinE92
They didn't charge me a restocking fee when I ordered the wrong set of bulbs and they helped me get the correct ones. I've ordered quite a few things from them without any problems including the 20 watt angel eyes which I have had for a while now. Looking at the way you act here, they probably stuck it to you for being a dick.

Just sayin'

Sticks and sssstones may break my bones but words with nnnnnnever hurt me
Appreciate 0