E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Question about running scoops w. Oem intake...

08-08-2009, 08:08 AM   #1
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

Question about running scoops w. Oem intake...

Has anyone experienced any issues with this combo or did any logging? I can imagine going 70mph on the highway those scoops can generate tremendous turbulance and pressure in the intake track that a normal car would not see. While more cool air is always a plus, turbulant is not if there are sensors involved.

Also....what about rain water? Wouldn't this mod force alot more rain water onto the filter?

Alan
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2009, 09:08 AM   #2
Borsig
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: '09 335i ///M-Sport

I really cant speak to turbulence, but the scoops that cyba is selling for cheap, like 35 bucks I think, are slotted to keep water from traveling up them and into the intake. No problems that I have seen from water intake with these...

I think theyre more a placebo than anything, honestly. maybe they work, maybe they dont, who knows really. maybe at speeds of 60+mph so only on the highway. But they are cheap...

I certainly wouldnt pay more than cyba is charging for them.. Some of these are upward of a hundred bucks... Youd be better served to put that hundred bucks elsewhere.

Problem is they dont really work with DCI's or CAI's. (except that big cabon fiber one which is kind of untested)
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2009, 11:00 AM   #3
scalbert
Major General
Rep
Drives: '13 S4, '15 Q7

There is no turbulance created for any sensors. That said, you need to be over 70 MPH for them to have any effect.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2009, 12:48 PM   #4
SV Concepts III
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW Duh

Never had a complaint with an OEM or aftermarket intake, I don't think it should be an issue for you. The only sensor I can think of that would be effected is the MAF which is past the intake.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2009, 09:48 AM   #5
scalbert
Major General
Rep
Drives: '13 S4, '15 Q7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick@Jlevi SW View Post
Never had a complaint with an OEM or aftermarket intake, I don't think it should be an issue for you. The only sensor I can think of that would be effected is the MAF which is past the intake.
Perhaps,, if the N54 had a MAF.

The first sensor in the intake tract is the TMAP which is at the throttle body.
Appreciate 0