E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Recommendations for trunk Subwoofers

10-06-2012, 07:14 PM   #23
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F34 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartracer View Post
Ken, that's an E90, isn't it? My sub enclosure replaces the battery cover, doesn't sit on top of it.

Mike
This is the E90. The E92 didn't have enough space on top of the battery cover, so we went with replacing it and went with a 12".
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2015, 09:28 PM   #24
ib_rb
Rep
Drives: E93

Reviving an old post. I also have a convertible and believe a solid low end is possible. I am leaning towards an IB install but only have room for a 12. A single Image Dynamics would do about as good as anything I am thinking. I've not heard a single 12 but it certainly would do better than what I'm listening to currently which is nothing. Any better options for a limited space and no corner option sub?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2015, 03:56 PM   #25
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ib_rb View Post
Reviving an old post. I also have a convertible and believe a solid low end is possible. I am leaning towards an IB install but only have room for a 12. A single Image Dynamics would do about as good as anything I am thinking. I've not heard a single 12 but it certainly would do better than what I'm listening to currently which is nothing. Any better options for a limited space and no corner option sub?
Well that mostly depends on how loud you like things to get and how much you care about SQ. You can pretty much go three different ways:

1. SQ sub. Something like Dynaudio or Focal, high dollar beautiful sounding subs, but limited in xmax and therefore volume. Cost $1000+

2. SQL sub. Something like the IDMax or JL 12W7 (or even W6) with relatively high xmax, for higher volume capabilities while still sounding great. Cost $400+

3. "Standard" sub, that can work in IB, like ID12, JBL GTO or many others. Limited xmax, limited volume, but inexpensive. Cost $100+

Personally, I'm not a bass head but I like the idea of being able to turn it up past "normal" levels if I have the urge to do so. If I had the convertible, I would only consider the IDMax, W7 and W6, in order of preference. I would give each of those subs at least 500W - 750W for best results.
      11-19-2015, 07:04 AM   #26
ib_rb
Rep
Drives: E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaigoss69 View Post
Well that mostly depends on how loud you like things to get and how much you care about SQ. You can pretty much go three different ways:

1. SQ sub. Something like Dynaudio or Focal, high dollar beautiful sounding subs, but limited in xmax and therefore volume. Cost $1000+

2. SQL sub. Something like the IDMax or JL 12W7 (or even W6) with relatively high xmax, for higher volume capabilities while still sounding great. Cost $400+

3. "Standard" sub, that can work in IB, like ID12, JBL GTO or many others. Limited xmax, limited volume, but inexpensive. Cost $100+

Personally, I'm not a bass head but I like the idea of being able to turn it up past "normal" levels if I have the urge to do so. If I had the convertible, I would only consider the IDMax, W7 and W6, in order of preference. I would give each of those subs at least 500W - 750W for best results.
I'm not a bass head either but may share your "past normal" urge on occasion. Great feedback and confirmation of the IDMax12, which is the direction I am headed. Although while perusing the JL catalog I stumbled across the 13W7. What a beauty.....

My issue is having only listened to large cone/multiple driver IB setups, I don't have any personal experience as to how a single IDMax12 will perform in this application. Maybe speaks to the fact that I need to get out more!

No doubt the IDMax will be a marked improvement and should be more than enough.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2015, 07:30 AM   #27
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ib_rb View Post
I'm not a bass head either but may share your "past normal" urge on occasion. Great feedback and confirmation of the IDMax12, which is the direction I am headed. Although while perusing the JL catalog I stumbled across the 13W7. What a beauty.....

My issue is having only listened to large cone/multiple driver IB setups, I don't have any personal experience as to how a single IDMax12 will perform in this application. Maybe speaks to the fact that I need to get out more!

No doubt the IDMax will be a marked improvement and should be more than enough.
May also want to consider the JBL W12GTi MKII. I'd put it up there with the IDMax, and you may be able to get it for a little less.
      11-20-2015, 08:23 AM   #28
csu87
Banned
Rep
Drives: 09 335xi

look into the sundown sa line, the sundown SD line and the incriminator audio flatyne line.

All great SQL subs and are lots cheaper than the "Name Brand" Subs.
Appreciate 0