E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > Displaying POI details on map? Gas station names?

03-14-2010, 03:14 PM   #1
Jlomb436
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 Space Gray 335i

Displaying POI details on map? Gas station names?

So I searched. I read somewhere on here that you can actually display the names of the POI's on the map. So for example, if a Shell gas station is near by on the map, it'll show "Shell Gas" instead of just a small fuel symbol.

Is there a way to make that happen? I tried messing with the options and stuff, but couldn't get it, and I remember someone mentioning it here on the forum.

Call me crazy, but my brothers old Acura TL actually had the company logo on the map (Shell gas station logo), something I thought was pretty nifty.

Thanks! -Jeff
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2010, 04:04 PM   #2
2kaccordocoupe
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Former ///M Driver

I don't think that's possible however if it is I would also like to know how.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2010, 06:21 PM   #3
Kilgore Trout
Chicks dig wagons!
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91
Location: Where you can see through the people, but not the air (i.e., Los Angeles!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlomb436 View Post
So I searched. I read somewhere on here that you can actually display the names of the POI's on the map. So for example, if a Shell gas station is near by on the map, it'll show "Shell Gas" instead of just a small fuel symbol.

Is there a way to make that happen? I tried messing with the options and stuff, but couldn't get it, and I remember someone mentioning it here on the forum.

Call me crazy, but my brothers old Acura TL actually had the company logo on the map (Shell gas station logo), something I thought was pretty nifty.

Thanks! -Jeff
No possible in BMW with the display POI feature.

If you use BMWsearch (through BMWassist) it will list brands with icons.

4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2010, 10:46 PM   #4
Jlomb436
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for the info.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2010, 11:23 AM   #5
chemgeek
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 335/white-saddle/msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post
No possible in BMW with the display POI feature.

If you use BMWsearch (through BMWassist) it will list brands with icons.
How do you get it to list the icons?
      03-15-2010, 12:57 PM   #6
Kilgore Trout
Chicks dig wagons!
Rep
Location: Where you can see through the people, but not the air (i.e., Los Angeles!)

Click on "Fuel prices" in the BMWSearch option. Note that you don't have that feature if you haven't signed up for the optional BMWAssist service ("Convience package")

4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2010, 01:49 PM   #7
skierdoc
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e60

Note - I had to go manually update my BMW assist services for the new Fuel Icons and grid (as well as the news) to show.

To do this - go to BMW Assist, go to the last option (at least on the HD iDrive) - and update BMW Assist and Teletronics (trying to remember from memory.)

After that (and possibly a reboot), you should see the new Fuel Grid with icons.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2010, 08:56 PM   #8
Jlomb436
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skierdoc View Post
Note - I had to go manually update my BMW assist services for the new Fuel Icons and grid (as well as the news) to show.

To do this - go to BMW Assist, go to the last option (at least on the HD iDrive) - and update BMW Assist and Teletronics (trying to remember from memory.)

After that (and possibly a reboot), you should see the new Fuel Grid with icons.
What do you mean by fuel grid? IS this in the concierge service? OR are you talking about the icons on the map?

PS, is BMW search free? I thought it was only for concierge service, but it just let me do the news, fuels prices, weather etc etc. However, I have no idea how to get it to read me the news.

Last edited by Jlomb436; 03-15-2010 at 09:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2010, 01:34 PM   #9
chemgeek
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Click on "Fuel prices" in the BMWSearch option. Note that you don't have that feature if you haven't signed up for the optional BMWAssist service ("Convience package")
So you bring up fuel prices and then hit the nav button to go back to the map?

Quote:
What do you mean by fuel grid? IS this in the concierge service? OR are you talking about the icons on the map?

PS, is BMW search free? I thought it was only for concierge service, but it just let me do the news, fuels prices, weather etc etc. However, I have no idea how to get it to read me the news.
BMW is search is part of the $200/year concierge package. Just click the little speaker to get it to read you the 10 second news blip.
      03-16-2010, 01:51 PM   #10
Kilgore Trout
Chicks dig wagons!
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgeek View Post
So you bring up fuel prices and then hit the nav button to go back to the map?

BMW is search is part of the $200/year concierge package. Just click the little speaker to get it to read you the 10 second news blip.
There is no such thing as a "concierge package." IN fact, BMWAssist no longer offers concierge services (i.e., somebody you can call to have reservations and such made). BMWSearch is part of the "Convenience package."

4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2010, 04:54 PM   #11
chemgeek
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
There is no such thing as a "concierge package." IN fact, BMWAssist no longer offers concierge services (i.e., somebody you can call to have reservations and such made). BMWSearch is part of the "Convenience package."
Right, right the convenience package...I keep saying concierge.
      03-16-2010, 09:39 PM   #12
Jlomb436
Lieutenant
Rep

So folks, I'm not signed up for anything but the package that came with the care. Basic status or what not. Anywhoo, the fuel prices and news stuff has been working. I get the stock quotes, all that jazz. However, there is no speaker icon on the news "headlines." I can't believe they just put like 10 words and that's it.

Maybe BMW made it free for everyone? At least those small functions?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2010, 12:32 AM   #13
Kilgore Trout
Chicks dig wagons!
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgeek View Post
Right, right the convenience package...I keep saying concierge.
I shouldn't have been nit picking you anyway.

4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2010, 12:25 PM   #14
chemgeek
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So folks, I'm not signed up for anything but the package that came with the care. Basic status or what not. Anywhoo, the fuel prices and news stuff has been working. I get the stock quotes, all that jazz. However, there is no speaker icon on the news "headlines." I can't believe they just put like 10 words and that's it.

Maybe BMW made it free for everyone? At least those small functions?
Maybe they built it into your loan or something. You actually have to call, activate it and give them your credit card number.
      03-19-2010, 10:28 AM   #15
DJHakim
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by skierdoc View Post

BTW, I noted that ISTA/P 2.36 removes the Update function from that menu! Probably a bug.
E90 (2009 328xi): ZCP, iDrive, BMW Assist, PDC, Alarm, Shades, SG Metal [Ret]
E90 (2006 325xi): ZSP, ZCP, iDrive, BMW Assist, PDC, CA, Xenons, Shades, CrO3 Exhaust, TiAg Metal [Ret]
Appreciate 0