E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > ► ► ► Now with PHOTOS (p16) - NURBURGRING TRIP --- 14th - 17th August ◀ ◀ ◀

05-30-2009, 12:00 PM   #89
Dr Dave
Zummerzet Zyder Drinker!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '06 330D Le Mans Blue

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedtrap View Post
I had Hamman Splitters on my E60 M5, and it was very very low and still cleared the ramps on the Eurotunnel. Just drive very slow.
That's good to hear
      05-30-2009, 12:00 PM   #90
jjbirch
Banned
Rep
Drives: E60 530D M SPORT

Garage List
Quote:
£209 is not much cheaper than Eurotunnel.
thats is a place to sleep as well
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2009, 12:08 PM   #91
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
£209 is not much cheaper than Eurotunnel.
I think £209 is with accommodation as well, though not sure how the accommodation will be if it's room sharing etc...

Eurotunnel ticket is currently £131 return.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2009, 02:49 PM   #92
E90Yaz
Torque Monster
England
Rep
Drives: Porsche 911 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbirch View Post
thats is a place to sleep as well
So £209 for 3 nights and return ferry??? thats sweeeeeet i may be in on this
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2009, 05:01 PM   #93
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
209? for 5 nights? thats insane. Have to share beds?
      05-30-2009, 05:52 PM   #94
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino355 View Post
Price is based on 3 nights. Some of the single lads would have to share.

The guys bringing their WAGs may want to consider alternative arrangements as the majority of beds are single (albeit it some have 2 in a room some have more).

I can arrange the ferry crossings seperate to accommodation if that helps?
I believe those 'alternative arrangements' might be the ones we originally started with when a few of us conceived this particular trip a couple of months ago?! See the first post of this thread for those options...

What happens in the case where there are two or more passengers in one car? Is it still £209 or does the price go up due to the extra person/people ??
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2009, 05:59 PM   #95
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: VW T5

Garage List
I'm a little confused.

I was under the impression that this was an "E90 Post Ring Trip" organised by E90 Post members?

The whole idea of organising this together is that we are together throughout the duration of the trip. It now looks like the group will be split into two groups, which really defeats the object of organising a group trip.

Tony has gone to great lengths to organise this trip as he did so for the last one. Booking Jochen for photographs, booking tables at restaurants etc.
      05-31-2009, 05:14 AM   #96
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep
Drives: 330i SE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by willhollin View Post
..The whole idea of organising this together is that we are together throughout the duration of the trip. It now looks like the group will be split into two groups, which really defeats the object of organising a group trip.

Tony has gone to great lengths to organise this trip as he did so for the last one. Booking Jochen for photographs, booking tables at restaurants etc.
I've got to agree with you Will.

Based on talking to Tony & Boofs about their previous Ring trips, I'd have thought half the fun of the trip would be travelling & staying together as a group.

I know Tony has put a hell of a lot of time & effort organising these trips & I probably wouldn't even be going, if it weren't for his knowledge & enthusiasm.
The fact that I'm also looking forward to some 'japes' with Will & Carl really has nothing to do with it.

Viv

Appreciate 0
      05-31-2009, 08:42 AM   #97
E90Yaz
Torque Monster
England
Rep

Guys all the hotels listed are fully booked!! I need a place to stay...preferably Nearer the 'ring if i'm to come!! HELP!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2009, 08:46 AM   #98
jjbirch
Banned
Rep

Garage List
just looked on the mercure hotel koblenza
and it has rooms left 94 euro is the best i think for a night
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2009, 09:04 AM   #99
E90Yaz
Torque Monster
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbirch View Post
just looked on the mercure hotel koblenza
and it has rooms left 94 euro is the best i think for a night
Thats too far and too xpensiv!!
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2009, 10:01 AM   #100
Dino355
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 SB BMW M2 Competition

Guys I've been politely asked to revoke my offer of accommodation & channel crossing as it would effectively split the group in two and I agree that going over in convoy and staying at the same place is all part of the fun.

The last thing I wanted to do is mess things up for you guys and the trip.

Also most of you don't know me from Adam (although plenty of people on other forums do) so I'm not surprised that some may have taken offence to my approach.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2009, 04:59 PM   #101
XKaLiBaR
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by willhollin View Post
I'm a little confused.

I was under the impression that this was an "E90 Post Ring Trip" organised by E90 Post members?

The whole idea of organising this together is that we are together throughout the duration of the trip. It now looks like the group will be split into two groups, which really defeats the object of organising a group trip.

The whole problem here is, people do not want to stay 40 miles from the ring, wasting 2 hours driving to and from the ring, plus 80 miles of petrol wasted and paying extra £100 for the channel crossing.
The cost of the trip is high enough, i dont see the problem with everyone travelling and staying in the same place, thats 10 minutes from the ring, and a lot cheaper.
I for one will definately be taking the £209 offer, over the £300plus, and 80miles per day of petrol offer.
Mods ListAP Racing BBKs, Bilstein PSS10 , Rogue Engineering Pulleys, RTM and Transmission Mounts, Eibach ARBs, Supersprint LightWeight Race Muffler, Miltek 100 Cell Cats, Recaro Pole Positions, Aluminium Brushed Trim, Csl Steering wheel, Imola Red Arm Rest, CSL Diffuser, 10mm Eibach Spacers, Depo Indicators, Custom blacked out front grills, Carbon Fibre Side Grills, Custom UUC ClutchStop, CSL OEM Bootlid, V-CSL Bumper,
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2009, 05:20 PM   #102
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XKaLiBaR View Post
The whole problem here is, people do not want to stay 40 miles from the ring, wasting 2 hours driving to and from the ring, plus 80 miles of petrol wasted and paying extra £100 for the channel crossing.
The cost of the trip is high enough, i dont see the problem with everyone travelling and staying in the same place, thats 10 minutes from the ring, and a lot cheaper.
I for one will definately be taking the £209 offer, over the £300plus, and 80miles per day of petrol offer.
Baris

If YOU don't want to "stay 40 miles from the ring, wasting 2 hours driving to and from the ring, plus 80 miles of petrol wasted and paying extra £100 for the channel crossing..." that's absolutely fine. Do whatever you want to do!

I don't expect every forum member will realise that this is not actually a "Nurburgring via Eurotunnel & Koblenz" offer, take it or leave it Did you actually read my first post ??

I am amazed at how certain people have become so focussed on being anti-Koblenz Can I just make clear that there has never been an issue of wanting everyone to stay at the same place. I have never made any insistence that members stay in Koblenz - if you take the time to read my first post, you will note that I listed several options for accommodation, all of which (bar Koblenz) are close to if not actually at the 'Ring.

I fully appreciate there are members who think 40 miles to and from Koblenz is a long way to get to the 'Ring - there's no problem if people don't want to stay there. If for example you want to take the £209 offer, go ahead - it's a cracking deal.

I would like to clarify that neither I nor Viv have asked Dino to actually retract his offer of ferry and accommodation, contrary to the sentiments expressed by him in his post above. I had a concern that his offer made no mention of the fact that "all accomodation is based on 2 or 3 people sharing depending on room size" (taken from his website directly), and that members would be expecting more than what was actually going to be delivered. I have actually thanked him for his assistance repeatedly.

Incidentally, let me just work some numbers for you -

£209 for one car crossing by ferry & accommodation, based on let's say two people sharing a room. Cracking deal. How much would it be on a one-room-per-person basis?

£131 for Eurotunnel, plus 135 Euros (based on 90 Euros a room a night in Koblenz, two people sharing, in a modern 4 star hotel with all facilities) - total £248 (at current exchange rates)

Oh I forgot one thing - the ferry crossing takes 1hr 40mins or so (based on Dino's experience) and takes you 30km closer to the 'Ring by disembarking at Dunkerque rather than Calais. The Dover Ferry Port is 24km (or 15miles) further away than the car shuttle at Eurotunnel in Ashford. The Eurotunnel also only takes 35mins.

As I said before, if you want to take up Dino's package, go for it. Others might do the same, others might not. This has already become a fragmented trip so I don't really care anymore whether people go on their own, or as part of a group. I don't expect everyone to understand the group dynamic.

I'll let other people make up their minds. This trip hasn't even started yet and I'm already exhausted so this will be the last one I'm doing

Thank you all for your understanding and support, where it has been apparent
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2009, 06:36 PM   #103
Dino355
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92Fan View Post

Baris

If YOU don't want to "stay 40 miles from the ring, wasting 2 hours driving to and from the ring, plus 80 miles of petrol wasted and paying extra £100 for the channel crossing..." that's absolutely fine. Do whatever you want to do!

I don't expect every forum member will realise that this is not actually a "Nurburgring via Eurotunnel & Koblenz" offer, take it or leave it Did you actually read my first post ??

I am amazed at how certain people have become so focussed on being anti-Koblenz Can I just make clear that there has never been an issue of wanting everyone to stay at the same place. I have never made any insistence that members stay in Koblenz - if you take the time to read my first post, you will note that I listed several options for accommodation, all of which (bar Koblenz) are close to if not actually at the 'Ring.

I fully appreciate there are members who think 40 miles to and from Koblenz is a long way to get to the 'Ring - there's no problem if people don't want to stay there. If for example you want to take the £209 offer, go ahead - it's a cracking deal.

I would like to clarify that neither I nor Viv have asked Dino to actually retract his offer of ferry and accommodation, contrary to the sentiments expressed by him in his post above. I had a concern that his offer made no mention of the fact that "all accomodation is based on 2 or 3 people sharing depending on room size" (taken from his website directly), and that members would be expecting more than what was actually going to be delivered. Again, I would expect complete transparency. I have actually thanked him for his assistance repeatedly.

Incidentally, let me just work some numbers for you -

£209 for one car crossing by ferry & accommodation, based on let's say two people sharing a room. Cracking deal. How much would it be on a one-room-per-person basis?

£131 for Eurotunnel, plus 135 Euros (based on 90 Euros a room a night in Koblenz, two people sharing, in a modern 4 star hotel with all facilities) - total £248 (at current exchange rates)

Oh I forgot one thing - the ferry crossing takes 1hr 40mins or so (based on Dino's experience) and takes you 30km closer to the 'Ring by disembarking at Dunkerque rather than Calais. The Dover Ferry Port is 24km (or 15miles) further away than the car shuttle at Eurotunnel in Ashford. The Eurotunnel also only takes 35mins.

As I said before, if you want to take up Dino's package, go for it. Others might do the same, others might not. This has already become a fragmented trip so I don't really care anymore whether people go on their own, or as part of a group. I don't expect everyone to understand the group dynamic.

I'll let other people make up their minds. This trip hasn't even started yet and I'm already exhausted so this will be the last one I'm doing

Thank you all for your understanding and support, where it has been apparent
I have already stated that in the interests of this trip AND the forum AND to make you happy that my intentions are and were not heavy handed or hidden and that the offer I presented has been withdrawn. I even deleted all my relevant posts and asked you to delete other users that quoted me in order to keep the thread clean and relevant to the topic and to keep you and other members happy.

In fact I take offence to several of your comments. First of all the fact that instead of continuing to liase with me via PM you have gone public with your comments.

I've tried to be diplomatic in this whole affair Tony but you have left me no other choice but to air my opinion on here.

YES I run a company that runs tours, arranges accommodation and car rental at the 'ring. I only posted my link once and you were quick to remove it and as I told you via PM I understood and agreed with your reasons. I approached this forum back in April regarding sponsorship and my questions and request were ignored. No matter as a simple search for the ring on a search engine will bring up my company.

I was approached by another forum member who I met on the May trip about arranging some accommodation elsewhere as he wasn't too keen on the trek from Koblenz everyday either. It's not about being anti-Koblenz it's about time and money plain and simple. Whether you drive a 15yr old M3 or a new one you may not want to spend the extra time or money on a hotel that is 40km away from the track. Our group in May was split in two, with some travelling from Thurs - Mon and others Fri - Tues, we still spent our days and evenings together and it made the trip no less enjoyable that we didn't convoy over together.

As for your comment about us speaking all of four minutes - well if I had of seen you earler, knew who you were or even been introduced to you before Monday evening then things might have been different!!!! Why say I didn't make the 'effort' when we only actually bumped into each other at the end of the holiday!?! I'm sure you are nice guy (and from what I have heard from others you are) and if you gave me a chance you might find that we will get on just fine.

As for you giving up on organising further trips, how can you possibly be exhausted about something that really only started yesterday morning?!! You really shouldn't be throwing the towel in just yet!

You should try organising these trips on a more regular basis like I do and then you might realise how difficult it is not to have a forum dynamic to help get people together on the same date!!!

Your comment about people reading your first post is what is most relevant though. You encourage people to make their own arrangements regarding accommodation yet you take offence when someone mentions an alternative that is not to your liking and yet you hide behind Dino's "commercial intentions"

The only commercial intentions I had would be to raise awareness of what I do at the 'ring and the price quoted only had the smallest of margins to it that would have only made the smallest of profit had all 16 places in the guesthouse be filled (put simply in that scenario it would have paid for my accommodation only) something I'm sure that forum members would have been fine with given the time and effort involved to get them all organised, paid for and booked in.

As I told you via PM (more than once) I apologise for the way this all came about and in hindsight I would do things differently, but as previously mentioned I did try to become a sponsor on this forum with no success. I deleted my posts as you asked me and in the interests of your trip the £209 offer has been revoked.

Given what a storm this has kicked up I think it best that I stay out of your way lest I upset you anymore.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2009, 07:45 PM   #104
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep

And again, the details have become a little twisted

For the very last time, neither I, nor Viv the other UK moderator as far as I am aware, has asked for Dino to withdraw his offer of £209 for a ferry crossing and accommodation. Dino offered very respectfully in a PM to me to withdraw his offer, but I had not had the time to give any response either way. To say that he withdrew his offer at my request is completely false.

My actual intention after discussing it with Viv was to combine his offer into the options contained in the first post. We had taken the decision to incorporate his company into our forum trip because it was in the best interests of the forum members. If Dino had waited until I had time to respond, as opposed to acting prematurely, this situation would not be at the stage it is now.

It is not to my liking that this trip could effectively split into two groups - however that is a small price to pay for very reasonable pricing. What I took most offense at was how this offer came about in its nature, without any seeming consideration for the plans already in the works. However, this misunderstanding has been cleared up between Dino and myself, and I see no reason why there is a need for Dino to withdraw this offer.

Let me be exceptionally clear about my intentions - from the very outset, it was made very obvious to me that certain people wanted to stay at different places. It was abundantly clear that we were not going to be staying at the same place, as the majority have done previously. Hence why the multiple options of places to stay in my initial post. My approach to this has not changed, nor will it change as I am not even going to try to encourage people to stay in the same place.

To suggest that Dino was asked to withdraw his offer, to the detriment of other forum members, and then for me to receive the multiple abusive PMs about this that I have, is saddening. My interests have always been for this forum and its members to benefit and in the pursuit of making this clear, I have made some of the background information public knowledge.

If Dino wishes to withdraw his offer, that will be up to him. If he chooses to make it available again, so much the better. Once this is cleared up either way, I shall withdraw from organising this trip. I hasten to add that this is in no way a reflection of the earlier misunderstanding between Dino and myself. However, I simply do not accept the abusive PMs from other members relating to this trip and have no wish to deal with it any further
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2009, 02:01 AM   #105
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: VW T5

Garage List
I cannot believe my eyes reading what has gone on in this thread. I am also shocked and disgusted to read above all that Tony has received abusive PMs, and I fail to see why these would be justified?

I am very grateful to Tony for organising the last Ring trip, which was also my first. I personally think it went very very well, and I would have no hesitation in doing the same again, as I am sure many of the others who went would agree.

This trip has never been about all doing exactly the same thing, staying in the same place etc. But when one individual goes to the trouble of organising dates, photos, dinner bookings, then the least we can do is respect that. If you think you have a better plan then start your own thread and plan your own trip together. Anyone organising even the simplest of meets will understand how stressful it can all get trying to get responses from people, getting questions answered, making sure people know where they are going, what to take in their car when driving abroad etc.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2009, 04:43 AM   #106
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 CS

Hmmm.

Well having not posted since I last hinted that I thought Dino's offer was quite good... I didnt know any of this had gone on, and I am still not entirely clear what is going on but it seems to me like this whole trip hangs in the balance now.

Personally, at the time the idea of a Guest House with all E90 Forum members in it (or laregly) for the price quoted seemed like a good idea.

I read Tonys first thread exactly as I believe it was meant which was that Tony had done a lot of groundwork to encourage people in one direction or another, but he never said that it was what was expected/wanted etc.

I have to admit, I never noticed discussions about meal bookings etc, and I believe that having experienced people in your immediate party is valuable to the tune of £XXX anyway, because you can review the day, techniques etc and arrange the next day more appropriately with thought about who will mentor a new driver, or who can go out with who - if we all rock up at different times on the morning, this will either be a total farce to organise, or else everyone will go off in their twos and threes.

With this in mind, I will change my viewpoint to be that if I can stay with Tony, Wil and the core of E90 posters who I am sure will accompany them then I will, regardless of the additional cost, either hidden, upfront or otherwise.

Matt
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2009, 06:40 AM   #107
Dino355
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

I think it would be a sad loss for Tony to pull out of organising this trip after the effort already put in.

Just to clarify that I was asked by another forum member to delete my posts and I was told that this request was on behalf of Tony. Perhaps I misunderstood and if that is the case then I hope this clarifies this point.

As for abusive PMs - whoever sent these PMs to Tony should perhaps drop him a line and apologise as there is no need for abuse.

We all want the same goal - to go the 'ring and have a great weekend! There really is no need for things to get out of hand.

So Tony, please, for the benefit of all the members who want to attend, don't step back as you are doing a great job. (I totally understand the effort involved in getting a trip like this off the ground.) As for the abuse you have received - perhaps you should make it clear to those involved that they aren't welcome if that's the attitude they have.

In all honesty I think things have a got a little out of hand on here and it's time this thread got back on track

Tony, I've left a voice message on your phone - if you want to have a chat then please give me a call as I'd like that.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2009, 06:45 AM   #108
jjbirch
Banned
Rep

Garage List
i think you should name and shame them

is it carlos lol
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2009, 06:55 AM   #109
Hoops
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 xDrive35d M Sport

Garage List
BLOODY HELLS BELLS!!!!! What on earth is going on here??? Its absolutely totally and utterly ridiculous. Ive been away for the night and cant believe what im reading. I am absolutely DISGUSTED to hear that Tony has received abusive PM's and whomever they are should be ashamed of themselves and banned from posting on here. Without any shadow of doubt Tony has always gone to great lengths to help and advise on here and the last two Ring trips that i have attended have been fantastic experiences and mostly due to Tonys hard work and efforts in organising them. I am genuinely sorry to see that this thread has deteriorated to this level, such a shame.
What i will say from my point of view is this - it is my personal preference to stay closer to the Ring. I stayed in Koblenz on the last trip and as much as it is a lovely hotel i still prefer to be closer to the Ring and more importantly closer to the Pistenclaus!!! But seriously, that is MY preference and i am not in the least bit bothered if everyone stays in Koblenz and only myself and my wife stay near the Ring. I will be booking the same Eurotunnel crossing as Tony and will arrange, as usual, to meet as his house in the morning and drive in convoy to meet whoever else at Folkestone. I will then thoroughly enjoy driving in convoy with Tony and whoever all the way to Germany, where at some point my wife and i will veer off to our accomodation and Tony and gang will carry onto Koblenz. I will then happily shit, shower and shave (if my wife is a very lucky girl she may well get a quick portion!!) and i will then call Tony via my portable telephone device and liase with him as to what time he will be at the Ring. I will also utilise my portable telephone device to see where certain other e90 members might be at that time. Whilst at the Ring we can all discuss what time and where we fancy eating that night. And all in all everything will be super dooper and all this silliness will be forgotten - because the lure of the Ring will have us all in its exotic spell - woo hoo!!!
Roll on Aug 15th!!!
      06-01-2009, 07:10 AM   #110
Dino355
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwbailey View Post
And all in all everything will be super dooper and all this silliness will be forgotten - because the lure of the Ring will have us all in its exotic spell - woo hoo!!!
Roll on Aug 15th!!!
Amen to that
Appreciate 0