E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Question about Febi-Bilstein vs Lemforder front strut mounts

02-08-2012, 03:50 PM   #1
tscdennab
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW  [6.24]
Question about Febi-Bilstein vs Lemforder front strut mounts

Hi,

I ordered some new front upper strut mounts from an online shop in order to change them when I will install my new suspension. I received Febi-Bilstein parts instead of Lemforder (which is BMW OEM as far as I read). It was a mistake on their side but they don't seem too keen to fix it unless I pay some money. They say both are premium brands but I read that generally Febi fails more often.

My question is, do you think I would be ok installing the Febi-Bilstein parts instead of Lemforder, or is it worth it exchanging them with Lemforder, and lose like 50EUR on the process ? Or maybe keep my OEM mounts and try to sell these (car has 40k miles and no suspension noises but we have very bad roads) ? Does this part fail often ? It seems pretty complex to me with the center bearing, rubber, etc.

I have attached a picture for you to see what part it is about.

Thanks !
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 10:41 PM   #2
cvc 22349a
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Looks just like the oem strut mount. Hard to tell any difference in bearings and rubber in a photo
      02-09-2012, 07:31 PM   #3
luckyu
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i, 1998 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tscdennab View Post
Hi,

I ordered some new front upper strut mounts from an online shop in order to change them when I will install my new suspension. I received Febi-Bilstein parts instead of Lemforder (which is BMW OEM as far as I read). It was a mistake on their side but they don't seem too keen to fix it unless I pay some money. They say both are premium brands but I read that generally Febi fails more often.

My question is, do you think I would be ok installing the Febi-Bilstein parts instead of Lemforder, or is it worth it exchanging them with Lemforder, and lose like 50EUR on the process ? Or maybe keep my OEM mounts and try to sell these (car has 40k miles and no suspension noises but we have very bad roads) ? Does this part fail often ? It seems pretty complex to me with the center bearing, rubber, etc.

Thanks !
I haven't seen any data about the reliability of these parts or of different brands. However, on e36 typically front mounts last 100K or more. E46 mounts only have a problem when you bottom out hard.

To my mind, a more important question is which mount did you get, sport or non-sport? The non-sport is the same p/n as the E46 and made of aluminum. The sport mount is 1/4" shorter and made of steel.
2007 328i ZSP. M3 suspension: custom valved Bilstein shocks, Hyperco race springs, M3 lower control arms front and rear, M3 sway bars, and M3 subframe bushings. E46 front guide supports. Euro tail lights.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2012, 12:00 PM   #4
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by tscdennab View Post
Hi,

Thanks !
We use the Lemforder brand as it is OE, if you ever look close at one it has the BMW logo and part# ground off.

They are typically $180 for the pair.
Appreciate 0