E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > iPhone 5 & Lightning -> Dock Adapter for AUX Playback

09-29-2012, 05:30 PM   #1
sparkyblue
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 135i & F80 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
iPhone 5 & Lightning -> Dock Adapter for AUX Playback

Anyone have an iPhone 5 with a car equipped without iDrive?

I want to get the same functionality as I had with my 4S, which I used a Y-Cable (not BMW OEM) that allowed me send all the audio from my phone to the car's AUX, and also charge it as well.

I was not able to control my phone via the steering wheel controls or radio head unit and I liked that. I'm used to choosing my music via the phone itself.

Basically, the the Y-Cable served as a way to get "audio out" via the dock-adapter, and also charge the phone as it had USB.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2012, 07:15 AM   #2
Gugs
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 JetBlack

So what are u saying again?

Ditch the Y cable. Plug aux in headphone and lightning cable in usb.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2012, 11:38 AM   #3
carlos916
Semper Fi
United_States
Rep
Drives: E60 ///M5

Garage List
2008 E92 328i  [5.00]
U need Lightning to 30-pin Adapter eaither just the adapter or if u want some moe slack u can get the cable.. Dont buy 3rd party lightning adapters as they have been checked and are no where near apple specs, the lightning adapter has a custom apple chip so u want to stick to oem or just get a aux cable and use that for now..
      10-02-2012, 02:22 AM   #4
sparkyblue
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gugs View Post
So what are u saying again?

Ditch the Y cable. Plug aux in headphone and lightning cable in usb.
I want to be able to get into my car, and get Audio to AUX & Charge the iPhone with ONE cable attached to the phone.

I am able to do this right now with my iPhone 4S with a Y-Cable.

But I'm not using the regular Y-Cable supplied OEM by BMW. Instead an aftermarket cable that just takes analog-audio (line level) & charges the the phone via USB. It acts and looks the same way as the OEM BMW 6FL cable, with the exception that I am able to change songs via the phone itself, and I DONT have steering wheel / headunit iPod controls.

I like the current setup because I can control the music/playback coming from the phone via the iPhone itself. Also, YouTube & Pandora and other streaming apps dumps music through the Line-Level output from the Dock Connector. While with the OEM 6FL cable, I would be stuck with the headunit controls with songs on the iPod only.

Not to mention with the OEM 6FL cable, I am FORCED to control music playback via the Radio Headunit. On the iPhone it displays an "Accessory Connected" message. I don't have iDrive so the two-lines I have on my Radio isn't exactly the most user friendly way of selecting songs.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 02:28 AM   #5
sparkyblue
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlos916 View Post
U need Lightning to 30-pin Adapter eaither just the adapter or if u want some moe slack u can get the cable.. Dont buy 3rd party lightning adapters as they have been checked and are no where near apple specs, the lightning adapter has a custom apple chip so u want to stick to oem or just get a aux cable and use that for now..
Yeah, I am using just an AUX cable for now.

But I miss the functionality that I had with my 4 & 4S.

Hop in the car, hook up my dock connector cable to my iPhone and done. It charges, and I can select audio to play off my phone controlled via the phone itself. (Pandora & YouTube & Radio Streaming Apps work too! Unlike the OEM 6FL iPod Y-Cable)
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 05:01 PM   #6
vantage_coupe
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 335

How is the sound quality of the iPhone5 with just the Aux Cable?

I use the aux-cable with my ipod nano in the car sometimes and find the sound quality to be much lower quality than my mp3 CDs or even my blackberry when connected via the same aux cable.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 07:41 PM   #7
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by vantage_coupe
How is the sound quality of the iPhone5 with just the Aux Cable?

I use the aux-cable with my ipod nano in the car sometimes and find the sound quality to be much lower quality than my mp3 CDs or even my blackberry when connected via the same aux cable.
From headphone or dock connector?
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 08:59 AM   #8
shakko
SH4K
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X4 M40i

Any updates on this? I'm in the same exact boat. I loved how I could just plug in one cable into my iPhone 4 and then listen to music + charge it. The great thing about using the 30-pin adapter for line-out is that the volume is controlled through the car only, so it minimizes distortion (you wouldn't see a volume slider on the iphone once plugged in).

Anybody try the Lightning to 30-Pin adapter and see if it has line-out?
      10-09-2012, 01:39 AM   #9
sparkyblue
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shakko View Post
Any updates on this? I'm in the same exact boat. I loved how I could just plug in one cable into my iPhone 4 and then listen to music + charge it. The great thing about using the 30-pin adapter for line-out is that the volume is controlled through the car only, so it minimizes distortion (you wouldn't see a volume slider on the iphone once plugged in).

Anybody try the Lightning to 30-Pin adapter and see if it has line-out?
Same, still waiting on Apple to make more of those connectors/adapters.

You can't even find a regular Lightning-USB cable in stores as they are ALL sold out still.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2012, 07:55 AM   #10
geko29
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyblue View Post
You can't even find a regular Lightning-USB cable in stores as they are ALL sold out still.
I bought 3 last week, and before that I had 3 reserved at a different store. Just order from store.apple.com, select in-store pickup, and then choose the closest store to you that has stock. You can pick them up 1 hour-7 days after placing the order.

What I do that achieves somewhat of the same results as you is to put a Blackberry Music gateway in the center console and pair it to the phone, then I plug a regular lightning-USB cable into the built-in USB port. As soon as the car starts, I can play whatever I like directly from the phone, and if I want to charge also, I plug into the Lightning cable. The difference is I don't HAVE to plug it in to get sound, so it saves me a step if the battery is relatively full.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2012, 09:14 AM   #11
shakko
SH4K
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X4 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by geko29 View Post
I bought 3 last week, and before that I had 3 reserved at a different store. Just order from store.apple.com, select in-store pickup, and then choose the closest store to you that has stock. You can pick them up 1 hour-7 days after placing the order.

What I do that achieves somewhat of the same results as you is to put a Blackberry Music gateway in the center console and pair it to the phone, then I plug a regular lightning-USB cable into the built-in USB port. As soon as the car starts, I can play whatever I like directly from the phone, and if I want to charge also, I plug into the Lightning cable. The difference is I don't HAVE to plug it in to get sound, so it saves me a step if the battery is relatively full.
Does your Blackberry Music Gateway automatically turn on whenever you turn on your car?

For example, can you just hop in your car, turn it on, and start playing some music from your iPhone?

And also, are you still able to control the volume from the iPhone? One thing I really liked about the line-out functionality of the 30-pin adapter was that I no longer saw the volume controls on the phone, it was just a line out and the volume was controlled through the car amp.
      01-15-2013, 04:49 PM   #12
jetblackcoupe
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyblue View Post
I want to be able to get into my car, and get Audio to AUX & Charge the iPhone with ONE cable attached to the phone.

I am able to do this right now with my iPhone 4S with a Y-Cable.

But I'm not using the regular Y-Cable supplied OEM by BMW. Instead an aftermarket cable that just takes analog-audio (line level) & charges the the phone via USB. It acts and looks the same way as the OEM BMW 6FL cable, with the exception that I am able to change songs via the phone itself, and I DONT have steering wheel / headunit iPod controls.

I like the current setup because I can control the music/playback coming from the phone via the iPhone itself. Also, YouTube & Pandora and other streaming apps dumps music through the Line-Level output from the Dock Connector. While with the OEM 6FL cable, I would be stuck with the headunit controls with songs on the iPod only.

Not to mention with the OEM 6FL cable, I am FORCED to control music playback via the Radio Headunit. On the iPhone it displays an "Accessory Connected" message. I don't have iDrive so the two-lines I have on my Radio isn't exactly the most user friendly way of selecting songs.
I know I'm bumping an old thread but did you ever find a Y-cable for the iPhone 5???
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 10:44 AM   #13
jetblackcoupe
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 335i 6MT

Anyone find a y cable?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 12:37 PM   #14
geko29
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 6MT

Quote:
Does your Blackberry Music Gateway automatically turn on whenever you turn on your car?

For example, can you just hop in your car, turn it on, and start playing some music from your iPhone?
Yes it does. If you power it from the USB port instead of the cigarette lighter, it actually turns on when you unlock the doors. That way the bluetooth pairing is complete before you even start the car.

Quote:
And also, are you still able to control the volume from the iPhone? One thing I really liked about the line-out functionality of the 30-pin adapter was that I no longer saw the volume controls on the phone, it was just a line out and the volume was controlled through the car amp.
You can, by controlling the bluetooth volume. I don't see why that's useful when you have a knob AND steering wheel controls that work 10x better. But it is possible. Just be wary when you switch sources, because the aux is already lower than the other ones, and if you're at a comfortable volume level with the iPhone set at half, you'll blow your eardrums out when you switch to radio/cd.

Appreciate 0