E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > voice commands

08-31-2012, 11:12 AM   #1
JuiceDude
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Car

voice commands

All,

I have a 330d 08 and I am having great difficulty in using the voice commands to dial a name from my blue toothed iphone 4s.

I press the button on the steering wheels and naturally say "dial name" and the address book appears.

I have some friends names like Anita, Paul so I say "dial Anita" and it comes back with someone completely different. I am saying the names as naturally as possible but it is not working as expected. Also, when idrive repeats the name it is in a very robotic womens voice, different to the voice of the Sat Nav.

Any ideas?

Msuk
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 10:52 PM   #2
SARBlade
Berliner
Canada
Rep
Drives: 435i xDrive; Coupe; Grau

Quote:
Originally Posted by msuk View Post
All,

I have a 330d 08 and I am having great difficulty in using the voice commands to dial a name from my blue toothed iphone 4s.

I press the button on the steering wheels and naturally say "dial name" and the address book appears.

I have some friends names like Anita, Paul so I say "dial Anita" and it comes back with someone completely different. I am saying the names as naturally as possible but it is not working as expected. Also, when idrive repeats the name it is in a very robotic womens voice, different to the voice of the Sat Nav.

Any ideas?

Msuk
I too am not impressed with the voice recognition software of a $60K car. My iphone understands simple commands to call and yet my 2010 335i needs to be hand held from phonebook to a persons number before it will dial. I don't know how many times I have tried to call my wife (Regina pronounced rejeena) and it dials Jean or Reg or simply doesn't understand. My 2009 GMC On-star is the best, simply say call Regina and it does! WTF, muss Ich Deutsch mit ihm sprachen! Mensch! Bitte Regina an rufen!
Alles klar, kein problem mit das telefon!!
      11-07-2012, 02:08 AM   #3
JuiceDude
Enlisted Member
Rep

Hello,

I have found that if I say the person's name within 2secs iDrive will 99% of the time select the correct person to dial. Give that a ago. Also, say it as natural as possible.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 05:06 AM   #4
Spydeputy
Brigadier General
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2015 F23 M235i/2008,E90,335xi

Garage List
Yes, do the delay command. Address book 1st, then say the name. That works for me.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 06:14 AM   #5
JuiceDude
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spydeputy View Post
Yes, do the delay command. Address book 1st, then say the name. That works for me.
do the delay command = what is the delay command?

I normally do the following:

1. Press button and say "dial name"
2. iDrive then prompts for a name
3. "dial fred" within 2 secs
4. iDrive dials fred.

This works 99% of the time for me. There is the odd occasion where iDrive gets it completely wrong.

If you have an iPhone 4s with Siri you can do the following:

1. Connect iPhone 4s via Bluetooth to iDrive.
2. Press and hold the home button on your iPhone to activate Siri
3. Say whatever command you like and this will be routed through the speakers in the car.

For example "what is the time right now?" - response will be routed through bluetooth

Now, if you could link one of the sterring wheels buttons to Siri that would be brilliant!
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 09:52 AM   #6
Spydeputy
Brigadier General
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2015 F23 M235i/2008,E90,335xi

Garage List
check the mike area for exscess dust too.
Appreciate 0