E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > BS on WOT at idle...

02-07-2011, 03:49 PM   #1
allmotorh22
making his own parts.
Rep
Drives: Naturally Aspirated

BS on WOT at idle...

called it... only the first in the process of the many things I'm finding out about how to make power for this motor...

Sorry about that, thought I'd give the N/A forum something else to talk about rather than intake's and mufflers...

Busted! despite all the of theory and marketing that valvtronic know-it-alls regurgitate on the forums, at least we now know that the the throttle body on a Valvtronic does not stay WOT at Idle...

For Sale: Jet Black pre-LCI front bumper/hood/trunk lid, oe tail lights, 2 oe 16 inch rims w/ good tires. PM w/ offers.

Last edited by allmotorh22; 03-02-2011 at 12:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 03:55 PM   #2
Gavin@MMW
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: MMW Supercharged E90 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by allmotorh22 View Post
called it... only the first in the process of the many things I'm finding out about how to make power for this motor...

a little rant:
*(my very first post in e90post questioned: "why a 3 stage manifold? why not a bigger throttle body?" but ended up getting a lot of flack from the internet Valvetronic gurus*
Anyway, in true tuner fashion, I have since gotten a hold of an extra throttle body and a couple intake manifolds and will be doing some testing with a underrated but very capable Valvetronic tuner. Needless to say, I will have a few surprises for you guys in the near future. (the Honda scene doesn't call me allmotorj for nothing!...)

Sorry about that, thought I'd give the N/A forum something else to talk about rather than intake's and mufflers...

Busted! despite all the of theory and marketing that valvtronic know-it-alls regurgitate on the forums, at least we now know that the the throttle body on a Valvtronic does not stay WOT at Idle...
You could have just asked me that...

Im here to help is you need anything
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 04:02 PM   #3
allmotorh22
making his own parts.
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin@MMW View Post
You could have just asked me that...

Im here to help is you need anything
Right on Gavin, you've been a great help aswell! how're those headers coming? no rush, really, you give great deals!

For Sale: Jet Black pre-LCI front bumper/hood/trunk lid, oe tail lights, 2 oe 16 inch rims w/ good tires. PM w/ offers.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 04:12 PM   #4
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
Major General
Rep
Drives: a black car

sounds interesting, good luck with it!
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 05:05 PM   #5
josephbet01
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E93 328i

So, does this mean the Dinan TB may be worth a look?
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 05:33 PM   #6
allmotorh22
making his own parts.
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephbet01 View Post
So, does this mean the Dinan TB may be worth a look?
I think so. the last known testing is ksfrogman back in 2007 who lost power ( probably because no one was available to tune the DME for it).

Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 06:30 PM   #7
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
I have quite a bit of experience with GM V8 LS engines (346, 406, 427) for what that's worth, and can tell you that just slapping a larger bore throttle body on ANY engine is not necessarily gonna increase HP.

I'm sure you know a system will only flow as much as the smallest part. So in addition to the larger throttle body, you will also need to make sure that the inlet tract, airbox, filter, MAF, & hose connection between MAF & TB flow at least, if not more, than the new larger TB.

And at some point, the intake will become the restriction and I'm not even going to go into the cam selection...

Reprogramming is a necessity to take advantage of a drastic increase in airflow, in GM engines the fuel maps must be altered accordingly to realize the stiochemtrtic AFR that yields the most HP, while still resisting detonation with the grade of gasoline you commonly use. I do all of my engine ECM tuning personally using HPTuners Software & a Mustang Dyno.

I would assume that any fuel injected engine would behave similarly.

And on the other end, since an engine is basically an air pump - you are now introducing greater volume of air in - you need to be able to move a greater volume of air out (proper sized headers-preferably long tube, proper sized exhaust piping).

I can't tell you how many times GM owners would go with the 'bigger is better' scenario, slap a huge bore TB on the car, with no other changes, and then wonder why there was absolutely no gain on the dyno - or actually hurt performance.

With your experience I'm sure you know there are quite a few things that need to all work in concert with one another to see actual appreciable gains in HP.

Not preaching, just stating what you prolly already know - but your post is fairly general & might tend to make people believe that you're gonna stick a massive bore TB on a BMW engine and see huge gains - which ain't gonna happen
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 08:49 PM   #8
allmotorh22
making his own parts.
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post
Not preaching, just stating what you prolly already know - but your post is fairly general
you are correct sir. I just choose to speak in generalities on here because I only share my deepest darkest engine building secrets with my friends on Facebook... (some of whom actually know what I'm talking about, lol)

ok fine, i can share this little teaser of me an my confidant (Mikey) on our little dyno day, (@Mikey, please no divulging any information about my plans/set up, you popular guy you )

194.1 hp dynojet, single stage manifold

186.5 hp dynojet, untuned 3 stage manifold

Last edited by allmotorh22; 02-07-2011 at 09:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 08:51 PM   #9
allmotorh22
making his own parts.
Rep

how in the world do you embed videos on here?

Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 08:53 PM   #10
e90pilot
Freight Dawg
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Quote:
I think so. the last known testing is ksfrogman back in 2007 who lost power ( probably because no one was available to tune the DME for it).
Dinan's claim of 5hp is based on some pretty intensely controlled dyno testing. Someone claimed to have lost power but the car will gain and lose power from day to day without any mods and I'm pretty sure ksfrogman didn't go through as much trouble as Dinan did when he dynoed his car. 5 hp is such a small gain for there to be any required tuning. I believe that increase in airflow is still within the software's adjustment range for it's various parameters.
'06 Arctic Metallic 325i | Sport Package | 6MT | Dinan Stage III suspension | Dinan exhaust | 330i manifold swap! Click here! | Active Autowerke tune | 135i Brake Calipers | Deiselboost caliper brackets | E46 M3 front rotors
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 09:05 PM   #11
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1.9L of fury

Quote:
ok fine, i can share this little teaser of me an my confidant (Mikey) on our little dyno day, (@Mikey, please no divulging any information about my plans/set up, you popular guy you )
haha, no problem dude!! I was waiting for you to make a post about it anyway. I think people will be interested in what you are doing.

Last edited by mike-y; 02-08-2011 at 11:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 09:14 PM   #12
allmotorh22
making his own parts.
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-y View Post
haha, no problem dude!!
thanks Bro!

Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 09:26 PM   #13
e90pilot
Freight Dawg
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Interesting... Some people were reporting gains with the manifold on. I've always said you need the tune for that to work properly. Now, even if there were gains with this, that GIANT dip right at about 4000 will almost certainly make your car slower. I'm wondering if it goes away if you drive it for a while.

Edit:

One more thing. Ask your tuner something for me. Is there any way to disable that stupid "soft" lift in the throttle programming. It drives me insane! If my car understeers I lift to get the nose back in. This car will lift so slowly that car car keeps understeering... Usually toward a rigid barrier. Turning DSC off won't disable that feature. I know it's there for idiots who lift on on/off ramps in the rain and spin, but I'm not a bumbling idiot. Or at least I haven't been diagnosed yet.
'06 Arctic Metallic 325i | Sport Package | 6MT | Dinan Stage III suspension | Dinan exhaust | 330i manifold swap! Click here! | Active Autowerke tune | 135i Brake Calipers | Deiselboost caliper brackets | E46 M3 front rotors

Last edited by e90pilot; 02-07-2011 at 10:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 10:05 PM   #14
mike-y
United_States
Rep

we were able to get a baseline dyno vs. an untuned 3 stage IM dyno. there are some decent gains to be had without the tune. I left the chart on my work pc, but the gains are mostly in the lower rpms, and then again above 4300rpm.

There is a dip, but it's in a small part of the rpm band. in my case (steptronic trans) I hardly ever feel it, because the engine is below that point in normal driving, and when I get on the throttle, the trans downshifts, and I'm usually above that range. With a 6MT, I'd imagine you'd feel it a lot more than I do though.

but the flash makes such a difference, it's really not worth it to do the manifold swap without it.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2011, 11:33 AM   #15
IancoleTX
Dillo boxers
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5C

Alright, so an untuned 3-stage manifold is a loss of 8hp? How is that possible?

Also waiting to see some "after" dynos
      02-08-2011, 11:50 AM   #16
Gavin@MMW
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90pilot View Post
Interesting... Some people were reporting gains with the manifold on. I've always said you need the tune for that to work properly. Now, even if there were gains with this, that GIANT dip right at about 4000 will almost certainly make your car slower. I'm wondering if it goes away if you drive it for a while.

Edit:

One more thing. Ask your tuner something for me. Is there any way to disable that stupid "soft" lift in the throttle programming. It drives me insane! If my car understeers I lift to get the nose back in. This car will lift so slowly that car car keeps understeering... Usually toward a rigid barrier. Turning DSC off won't disable that feature. I know it's there for idiots who lift on on/off ramps in the rain and spin, but I'm not a bumbling idiot. Or at least I haven't been diagnosed yet.
Aint that the truth. LOL
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2011, 11:55 AM   #17
allmotorh22
making his own parts.
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IancoleTX View Post

no, don't worry, I had a slight tune on it. The 3 stage manifold with no tune produced ~6-10 up top vs the stock 325i baseline, I just made 8hp more on top of that.

Last edited by allmotorh22; 02-08-2011 at 12:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2011, 12:02 PM   #18
mike-y
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IancoleTX View Post

No, you didn't listen to the audio during the dyno run. That is a TUNED 325i-stock-manifold vs an UNTUNED 325i-3-stage manifold. the tune on the 325i is a very rough of-the-shelf tune though, and needs more work. But yes a tuned car will make more power than a stock car with the 3-stage manifold.

AllmotorH22 and I were able to compare our dyno runs when he was untuned, and with me untuned with the 3-stage.

UNTUNED baselines show the 3-stage picking up ~9whp and ~10wtq PEAK, but the biggest gains were in the upper midrange, which were 17whp and 15+wtq. Also, there was a gain of about 15+wtq below 2500rpm. But there is a dip in power from about 3800-4300rpm (that's why you need a tune later). This is on a 325i btw.

basically, you are looking at double-digit increases in both HP and TQ from 4500rpm to 6000rpm
Attached Images

Last edited by mike-y; 02-10-2011 at 11:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2011, 12:06 PM   #19
Gavin@MMW
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Did you get the car to flag the manifold if its unplugged?

or are you attempting to flash it to 330 software?

Or are you just tuning for fun to see how far you can push the N/a Motor?

so many questions... sorry.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2011, 12:19 PM   #20
mike-y
United_States
Rep

I'm running on stock 325i software, which doesn't care if the DISA are plugged in or not. They definitely work though (tested the valves out in the open before installing them in the manifold.

They operate on an RPM signal, and I really don't think they feed back to the DME.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2011, 12:20 PM   #21
allmotorh22
making his own parts.
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin@MMW View Post
Did you get the car to flag the manifold if its unplugged?
Well, I think the proper way to do a 3 stage manifold swap is to get corresponding DME, CAS and Key fob all from the same salvaged 330i.

I just want to know if a real 330i will throw a code if a disa is unplugged.

Appreciate 0
      02-08-2011, 12:23 PM   #22
Gavin@MMW
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

If I had a 330 I would pull the plug for you, maybe someone can step up for the community and pull a wire out.
Appreciate 0