E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Water in Passenger footwell.

11-28-2012, 05:51 AM   #1
wza
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe SE

Water in Passenger footwell.

Everytime it rains, I have a puddle In passenger footwell.
It seems the leak comes in from behind the dash board as it drips in from below the glove box (a small amount of water gathers in the glove box too), it also run down the trim bweteen the door and the car.

any idea anyone?

I have so far ensured the run offs are both not blocked by removing the leaf grill bits and poking a large screw driver down them and then poring water through them to ensure it was flowing out.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 08:17 AM   #2
IanS100
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 520d F10 LCI M Sport

When the Viper alarm was being installed in my e90 we found the floor was soaking wet under driver's carpet. Antony found a grommet in the scuttle was loose & refitted it properly. I've dried the carpet since & all seems well, maybe there's a grommet on the passenger side too?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 08:19 AM   #3
GOTMH8N
Stay Classy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i Sport

Check the leaf collector on the cowl under the hood, it may be blocked with debris
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 08:54 AM   #4
wza
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOTMH8N View Post
Check the leaf collector on the cowl under the hood, it may be blocked with debris
Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean by cowl?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 08:56 AM   #5
wza
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanS100 View Post
When the Viper alarm was being installed in my e90 we found the floor was soaking wet under driver's carpet. Antony found a grommet in the scuttle was loose & refitted it properly. I've dried the carpet since & all seems well, maybe there's a grommet on the passenger side too?
I don't know what a scuttle is?!

I'm not great with car part names, only the obvious ones, like wheel etc!

Are we talking the black plastic area at the top of the engine bay above the battery compatment??

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 11:30 AM   #6
IanS100
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 520d F10 LCI M Sport

Cowl (US) Scuttle (UK) we're refering to the body section between the windscreen & engine, usually has the wiper assembly & pollen filters etc in it. If the drains are blocked it can fill with water, I recently came across an Audi with leaf blocked drains that had over 6 inches of water sitting in it, which was slowly dripping onto the passenger carpet. The lady complained there was a strange noise when she went round corners
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 10:28 AM   #7
wza
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanS100 View Post
Cowl (US) Scuttle (UK) we're refering to the body section between the windscreen & engine, usually has the wiper assembly & pollen filters etc in it. If the drains are blocked it can fill with water, I recently came across an Audi with leaf blocked drains that had over 6 inches of water sitting in it, which was slowly dripping onto the passenger carpet. The lady complained there was a strange noise when she went round corners
I had a friend of a friend take a look (an AA windsreen repair man), he looked at all those areas took a few bits apart, checked for leaves, put it all back toegther, still leaks, so I imagine a seal or something needs replacing somewhere? I have booked it in to BMW, £95 just to tell me what needs fixing, not great, but needs must.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 12:34 PM   #8
gavp
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E46 M3/ F21 M135

Water in n/s footwell too.
Replaced passenger door seal, couldn't have been fitted properly from new and had some small splits in it.
Since changing been dry.
      12-18-2012, 07:07 AM   #9
wza
Private First Class
Rep

So, car went in last week to main dealer where I purchased the car as an AUC 2 years ago.

£95 diagnosis, they said it was the n/s door seal. I explained I found this very surprising as I had seen water dripping from behind the dash, that water gathered in the glove box. I said if they do the work and it is wrong, I won't be happy as I think they have misdiagnosed. They said definitely the seal, £120 for parts and labour.

Went in yesterday for the work, got a call at 17.45 saying the work has been done, however the car is still leaking. They now say it is the windscreen bond (as well as the door seal). I said that I told them they were wrong and I had raised concerns last week. I also told them they windscreen was replaced by them a little over 2 years ago when I purchased the AUC car from them so must be bad workmanship or faulty parts, surely a windscreen fitted such a short time ago wouldn't leak. I have also been told the water leaking in has also made the airbag wet, meaning that needs replacing.

I needed my car back so went to pick it up and continued complaining. The guy said I had to pay the £120 to basically get my car back and said he would take it up with BMW to see what they can do as goodwill? So I have basically paid £215 for them to not do anything of any value.

I have told him I want my £95 back as they misdiagnosed the leak even though I told them water in glove box and behind dash, and they didn't listen to my concerns over the diagnosis.

I have told them I want the £120 back they changed me for parts and labour I didn't need.

I have told that the work they now need to do to rectify the bad workmanship of the windscreen fitting should be completed for free.

The service guy is going to speak with BMW and I am awaiting his call.

I know they didn’t misdiagnose on purpose and they didn’t mean for the windscreen to leak, but why should I pay for the mistakes that have been made? I couldn’t get away with it in my job.

Any thoughts??!!
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 04:13 PM   #10
tmarshall57
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 530d M Sport, E87 118d M

Garage List
Is it possible that there could be more than one cause?

I had a leak into the passenger footwell that was caused by an ill-refitted passenger door vapour barrier. This must have occurred following a window glass replacement after an attempted theft. Symptoms were water dripping into the passenger footwell from the inner bottom of the door during very heavy rain. Of course this would not affect the glove box area. I have seen a number of similar reports. I fixed the problem using a £3 butyl rubber sealant tube.

You did well though to clearly spell out the areas affected by the leak - and your doubts about the proposed solution.

Good luck.
F10 530d M Sport, September 2012 Individual Amazonite Silver, Oyster Dakota Leather, Auto, Nav Pro, Bluetooth + USB Devices, Expanded BMW Online, Comfort Seats, Sunroof, Sun Protection Glass Individual Satin Walnut Honey Brown Trim Interior Inside/Outside Mirror with folding and autodip, M Rear Spoiler
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2012, 12:53 PM   #11
A_P
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Oh dear. Hope you get this sorted soon buddy.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2012, 06:31 PM   #12
m1bjr
LSD - No, you're not seeing things
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Baby F36 Gran Coupe

Dont wait for these hapless twats to ring BMW.

Do it yourself and file a complaint.

Water in glovebox was never going to be a door seal was it?

They are trying to fleece you...
      12-23-2012, 06:33 PM   #13
1slowbmw
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW e90

i had/have the same problem, i fixed it by removing the cowl and refitting all the seals by the bottom of the windshield, it fixed it for a few months but it started doing it again
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2021, 07:36 AM   #14
niksa2911
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw e92 2011

Garage List
2011 bmw e92  [0.00]
hello there, I saw this post was long time ago, but now I have the very simmilar problem, i have water leaking behind the dashboard, it seems, some part of that water is leaking over junction and fuse box, it cause me an a huge problem with electricity, but i still cant find where from is water leaking, my windsheild was as well replacing few years ago, was the windsheild the main problem in your case? Or I should base on something else?
Appreciate 0