E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > How many lbs of boost can a 335i handle for a long period

01-27-2013, 11:10 AM   #23
tinnsoldaten
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: e92 335i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylors335 View Post
it sucks that after 4-5 years there is still not a proven upgraded hpfp pump that is obtainable .... kinda funny at the same time all other platforms after this amount of time have tons more mods available , cant wait to see what 2013 brings !
Vargas just spilled some info on that matter , contact them for more info.
Vargas S2 turbos|VAC S3 Cylinder head|RR DPs|RR MPs|Supersprint X pipe|Remus Quad Sport mufflers|aFe Stage 2 Si with scoops|Forge DVs|ER CP|BMS meth elbow|Aquamist HFS-4|Walbro 450 E85 LPFP|AA FMIC|BMS OCC|MHD|P3 Boost Gauge|Ohlins Road & Track + camberplates|M3 sways F/R+ Ground control endlinks|Vorsteiner v303 19"|Michelin PS2 sport|Quaife LSD|Vorsteiner V35 CF hood|CF CLS trunk|Duke Dynamics quad diffusor
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2013, 11:29 PM   #24
taylors335
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Grey 08 335i

Garage List
2008 335i  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinnsoldaten View Post
Vargas just spilled some info on that matter , contact them for more info.
im a broke ass fbo , -fmic is enough for now
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2013, 11:33 PM   #25
BMWN54tech
Private
Rep
Drives: e92 335.

I have a regular customer at 189k miles with JB4 at 18lbs. Second set of turbos.

2010 E92 335i 6-speed 25k miles. - For sale.
1989 E30 325i coupe 5-speed DD
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 02:08 AM   #26
Yodaime
Just a normal member.
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: Banh Xeo

FBO 18-19psi, pro tuned by cobb. I drive everyday and everywhere. 50k miles strong no hpfp problems or bs. 2 years old now. still strong. goodluck sir
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 06:51 AM   #27
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z4 sDrive35i M Sport 6MT

19 PSI is the redline for our stock turbos on the N54 . You may peak 19 or even 20 so long as it tappers off quickly rather than sustaining such high boost.

I have literally rode next to another N54 on a roll race and watch it turbos fry on sustained 19 PSI even with full boltons

Also the bar on our boost sensor is limited to read only up to 20 PSI calculated

anything below 19 PSI is ok in general so long as you have the appropriate mods and gas to run it and of course proper tuning
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 12:15 PM   #28
E3r2E9r
Banned
Rep
Drives: 3 Series

The OP asked how much boost can it handle before it blows the internals. The question would remain on what turbo(s) are we talking about as boost alone would not blow the internals without making enough power. Jeff@TopGear hit the answer right out of everyone here.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 12:29 PM   #29
Tony@vargasturbotech
Banned
Rep
Drives: N54

I am actually have no idea why I responded to this post. I'll just delete and back out now.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 12:30 PM   #30
E3r2E9r
Banned
Rep
Drives: 3 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vargasturbotech View Post
Actually there are TWO questions in there. First one was, if you run that much boost can they handle it. My response was directed at that question. No one knows the limits of the stock internals. Yet, no point in guessing.
What is they? What is Upgraded Turbo's? Who's upgraded turbo's? It does suggest turbo's being plural, so that would leave out any single turbo upgrade options under that assumption. So with the upgraded "turbo's" option available today, 20-25 lbs properly tuned should not blow the internals. It depends how literal you wan the question to be or how vague you want to respond to a broad question. The fact still remains, power is what is going to cause a motor to fail assuming the tuning is done correctly. You should know more then anyone else boost pressure is not the only factor in making power when there isn't even a turbo(s) size mentioned.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 12:46 PM   #31
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by E3r2E9r View Post
The OP asked how much boost can it handle before it blows the internals. The question would remain on what turbo(s) are we talking about as boost alone would not blow the internals without making enough power. Jeff@TopGear hit the answer right out of everyone here.
In hindsight I could have answered the question literally based on what was asked...

Some people answered the question about how the stock turbo's cant handle too much boost.

Some people answered the questions about how much boost they run.

Some people answered the question about how much boost upgraded turbo's run normally.

Some people just got angry at the question.

I just wanted to clarify that boost pressure is not the whole picture, and that power is the determining factor assuming the tune is good.

I guess he really just wants to know if the motor is strong enough to handle upgraded turbo's for an excess of 100K miles. I dont think anyone has actually had 100K miles with any turbo upgrade.

I would imagine this motor is pretty strong, but it would probably depend what kind of 100K miles the car is driven.

I personally never driven my cars that hard, maybe once or twice a week I would go WOT for a single gear pull and call it a day, so at that level of abuse or lack there of I would expect to pull 100K miles out of the motor.

If I were hitting the road courses every week it probably woulnd't last that long.

One person mentioned it was a "stupid question" because you can't really answer the question, he is not too far off, although a little harsh.

The question is hard to answer as nobody truly knows but I do have faith that the motor is strong and I one should expect that with more power will result in a higher chance of failure even tuned perfectly. It's just the nature of making power.

If you want a car to last forever, don't drive it. Since the OP has a diesel truck or had one, some of those guys are used to putting 500,000 on motors no problem. I can assure you this motor is strong for a gas motor but it is no diesel.

I can rant forever though. So i'll just stop here.

/rant
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 12:51 PM   #32
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
I just wanted to clarify that boost pressure is not the whole picture, and that power is the determining factor assuming the tune is good.
+1

Especially when dealing with stock turbos. I don't think the stock turbos can produce enough boost to compromise the block/engine. The turbos will blow apart first.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 12:57 PM   #33
Joshboody
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: pickemuptruck

it depends on how you make the power also. X ftlbs on smaller turbos equals more cyl pressure then a larger turbo making the same power... its the net result at the FW
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 03:15 PM   #34
techwhiz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i Sedan - Arctic

I'll chime in.
The BMW six is proven to be one hell of an engine.
Not just the N54 but just about every six BMW makes (except the belt driven ETA engine of the '80s). BMW knows how to make bullet proof sixes.
That being said, maximum boost long term will depend on how much time you stay in boost. The N54 is not well into boost at 3K RPM so driving like a granny when you have a maximum boost of 25PSI on turbos that can take it means that the engine will last a loooong time. On the other hand flogging the hell out of an engine running 20PSI may last a shorter time.

I won't venture a guess but a lot will depend on how you treat the engine and how you drive. Like some previous poster said, "I'd worry about the tranny first."
I'm pretty sure the engine can take the HP, but the rest of the drive train will have issues at high power levels if not upgraded.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 09:11 PM   #35
=C=
First Lieutenant
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i M-Sport E90

Good question OP and I'm not experienced on the subject but while we're on it...

- What is the limitation of the stock turbo's? (Someone mentioned 19 psi)...
- If you upgrade the ECU with a COBB for example?
- What sort of PSI's would you run and what is it's maximum safe zone?
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 06:23 PM   #36
marcvtec
Banned
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by =C= View Post
Good question OP and I'm not experienced on the subject but while we're on it...

- What is the limitation of the stock turbo's? (Someone mentioned 19 psi)...
- If you upgrade the ECU with a COBB for example?
- What sort of PSI's would you run and what is it's maximum safe zone?

Dude psi does not matter, it how the car is running when you turn up the boost.
It's easy to add psi but does the AFR look good ?
That's the whole point.

Reminds me of an Audi b5 friend I have, he like I run 27 Psi in my car how about you, then I say what's your timing and fuel like, he's like I dunno.
I was just like ok, u win, lol. He's probably knocking all day long.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 02:17 AM   #37
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135Hoser View Post
RP? Rob Beck? Has a upgraded twins option to market and readily available.

Vishnu has a single turbo option that seems to work

Vargas has upgraded twins coming out 'real soon'

That's about it for products that aren't vapourware/remote mount trash.
theres another single being tuned this week
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
What is all this PSI talk?

Engines handle power, and torque specifically.

Nobody has currently blown the motor from power alone. I would say somewhere in excess of 600WHTQ would snap something but it's really a guessing game.
650tq has only snapped diff input splines with hop
Appreciate 0