E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > RPI FMIC vs AA FMIC

01-10-2008, 07:22 PM   #23
Supramano
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1995 BMW M3, 2008 335xi Sedan

AA, have you guys dynoed your 335i with the fmic...do you have any numbers to give us on whp gains.thanx,

Manny
Mods; Procede V4 | Remus Quads | UR catless dps | H&R coilovers | Modified CDV | Injen Intake | Spearco IC | Forge DVs | Defi Boost Gauge w/controller | Vorsteiner CF Hood + Front Lip | OEM M-tech Body kit | Hamann eyelids | Predator Ice Angels | 19" Volk Progressive Me's | Rotora BBK | 18" Rota Torques w/Blizzaks
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2008, 08:09 PM   #24
Omar@ActiveAutowerke
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Appreciate 0
      01-10-2008, 11:14 PM   #25
Orb
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTurboBullett View Post
Why not include the Helix FMIC in the fray? we picked up a solid 22whp and 20+whp through alot of the power range.
[IMG][/IMG]
-Helix FMIC drastically drops AIT over stock and goes along way to prevent the high AIT overboost/DTC.

This intercooler is thicker like the RPI and taller like the AA. here are some things to note about the heilx FMIC with polished cast high flow end tanks and 56% larger ambient face and core volume than stock.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
-Removes restrictive factory charge piping that shrinks down to less than 2 inches in diameter.
[IMG][/IMG]
-installs with no cutting of permanent modification, and also installs WITHOUT bumper removal, simply remove the front belly pan.
[IMG][/IMG]

-The Helix FMIC is the most affordable at $969
Have you done any dyno’s with lower boost tunes? I kind think it going to be under 10 whp mainly due less pressure drop but like to see some real data from some one instead of all these hail marry dyno’s at with 14 PSI+ boost.

Orb
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2008, 02:56 AM   #26
Jonmartin
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

All I know is I love my RD Sport IC (Manufactured by RPi I think) def works.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2008, 06:28 AM   #27
TurboBullett@Ambient Thermal Management
Major
TurboBullett@Ambient Thermal Management's Avatar
Rep
Drives: 2012 Abarth 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orb View Post
Have you done any dyno’s with lower boost tunes? I kind think it going to be under 10 whp mainly due less pressure drop but like to see some real data from some one instead of all these hail marry dyno’s at with 14 PSI+ boost.

Orb
the lower the boost the less compressor outlet temp and the less pressure drop difference than stock, a bigger FMIC really shines where the stocker falls off(higher boost). of course power delta will decrease as you lower boost but inherently the Helix FMIC should always make more power and take ALOT longer to heatsoak than the stock intercooler,it also removes the less than 2 inch factory charge pipe restriction on both the cold and hot sides. I wouldnt really call 14 psi "hail mary" as this is the 93 octane Attache tune that runs perfectly with no limps,codes or DTC's.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2008, 06:54 AM   #28
Eazyrock
Major
Guyana
Rep
Drives: 08' Helix 335i E93

Quote:
the lower the boost the less compressor outlet temp and the less pressure drop difference than stock, a bigger FMIC really shines where the stocker falls off(higher boost). of course power delta will decrease as you lower boost but inherently the Helix FMIC should always make more power and take ALOT longer to heatsoak than the stock intercooler,it also removes the less than 2 inch factory charge pipe restriction on both the cold and hot sides. I wouldnt really call 14 psi "hail mary" as this is the 93 octane Attache tune that runs perfectly with no limps,codes or DTC's.
Tell the production people to hurry up.. I recieved the Eisenmann exhaust wednesday. Gonna hold off till the IC comes in before I make a trip down to Helix for the installs.
      01-11-2008, 10:19 AM   #29
5soko
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M5

AA has some good quality R&D stuff. and there getting into the 335i very well. RPI IC is well made and good product. its efficent and makes some power.
      01-11-2008, 10:25 AM   #30
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Scotland
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [8.00]
I'd still like to see specs on pressure drop and before and after water temps.
Enough of this,"this is really good" and this gained this much hp.
The gains are nice, but I'd like to see these results.
It's important that the temps of the engine don't rise any higher than they are already.

Best 60-130-------------9.15 Seconds------------------WWW.MR5RACING.COM
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2008, 10:41 AM   #31
pdjafari
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Axe Murderer with headlights

I was looking for an IC which performs, is a quality product and most importantly can be installed w/o cutting or any permanent modification to the vehicle so if I ever decide to sell the car I can go back to stock.

However, performance is also an issue as I want to know from which FMIC intake temps are reduced the most and I have the added peace of mind if/when I decide to get a piggyback or reflash.

Obviously there will be some sacrifice, the cheapest may not be the most well rounded, nor the most expensive. I am looking for an overall good FMIC to replace the stock unit, I know this may not be beneficial running stock boost, but this is a step I'd like to take towards running more boost safely and cooler. I have an 08 335xi build date (10/07) and I've noticed my temps sometimes go up to 230 when I am pushing the car. Average temps here are in teh low 40s so its pretty cold.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2008, 10:45 AM   #32
pdjafari
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. 5 View Post
It's important that the temps of the engine don't rise any higher than they are already.
Good points, this is something I woudl like to see as well...
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2008, 10:47 AM   #33
pdjafari
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddjay View Post
why specifcally aa and rpi? arent there a few others out there to consider as well?
Please feel free to add other brands as well. I just read alot of reviews on these 2 specifically. This is not to say another brand wouldnt be considered. The point of the thread was to just point out which FMIC is the most well rounded in terms of price/performance/ease of install/reliability/quality etc.

I am not looking for the one which gives the best #s but requires running bumperless. I am also not looking just to replace my OEM FMIC just to spend money and not provide cooler intake temps or any performance gain. For 1-1200 I imagine there should be some benefit!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2008, 10:51 AM   #34
getInline
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 335 Coupe, c32 AMG

Quote:
+1, 14psi is what I plan on running on a daily basis. I'm just patiently waiting to see the package pricing for the Attache + FMIC!
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2008, 12:27 PM   #35
Major
Rep

Quote:
core specs are .5 psi pressure drop at 450hp(600cfm) worth of flow. I have seen no adverse temp changes in my car in regards to oil or coolant temps, Sniz can add his comments as well as he has the 1st prototype on his car.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2008, 12:49 PM   #36
pdjafari
Colonel
Rep

^^helix looks nice but it looks alot larger, do you know if it requires alot of modification to the bumper/body?!?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2008, 12:54 PM   #37
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [8.00]
Quote:
core specs are .5 psi pressure drop at 450hp(600cfm) worth of flow. I have seen no adverse temp changes in my car in regards to oil or coolant temps, Sniz can add his comments as well as he has the 1st prototype on his car.
It's kind of hard to see changes in water temps in our cars since we don't have a water temp gauge.

It seems if a product like this has been tested thoroughly then these measurements should have been made. Spending less than $100 to add a gauge to determine deltas in water temperature would seem to be an important step. Especially when the product is wider and taller than the original.

Please don't get me wrong. Your product looks nice, but i need to be convinced that this won't make my engine run hotter than it already is.
I would rather sacrafice warmer air entering my engine with cooler engine temps rather than the opposite.

Appreciate 0
      01-11-2008, 01:04 PM   #38
getInline
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

+1, Don't take this the wrong way, I really like what Helix is doing but I would also need to see some measurement proof that the Helix FMIC won't increase my engine temps before pulling the trigger.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2008, 01:24 PM   #39
Major
Rep

Our datalogger shows coolant temps , I havent seen any changes. The Helix intercoolers dimensions are stock like with the top thinner portion covering approximately 3 inches of the lower part of the radiator. the lower thicker portion DOES NOT, I repeat DOES NOT cover the radiator it fits underneath of it. One other thing of note is our Intercooler uses a pretty free flowing fin density on the ambient side and should not cause much restriction of airflow to the 3 inches of radiator its covering . I know where your concern comes from in other cars that get a large part if the radiator covered with a thick intercooler, this is not the case with our intercooler on the 335i!
Quote:
It's kind of hard to see changes in water temps in our cars since we don't have a water temp gauge.

It seems if a product like this has been tested thoroughly then these measurements should have been made. Spending less than $100 to add a gauge to determine deltas in water temperature would seem to be an important step. Especially when the product is wider and taller than the original.

Please don't get me wrong. Your product looks nice, but i need to be convinced that this won't make my engine run hotter than it already is.
I would rather sacrafice warmer air entering my engine with cooler engine temps rather than the opposite.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2008, 01:31 PM   #40
getInline
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Our datalogger shows coolant temps , I havent seen any changes.

That's what I wanted to hear, thanks! I realized that the thicker portion did not cover the RAD, it was the thinner portion I was concerned about. Good news!
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2008, 02:55 PM   #41
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [8.00]
Quote:
Our datalogger shows coolant temps , I havent seen any changes. The Helix intercoolers dimensions are stock like with the top thinner portion covering approximately 3 inches of the lower part of the radiator. the lower thicker portion DOES NOT, I repeat DOES NOT cover the radiator it fits underneath of it. One other thing of note is our Intercooler uses a pretty free flowing fin density on the ambient side and should not cause much restriction of airflow to the 3 inches of radiator its covering . I know where your concern comes from in other cars that get a large part if the radiator covered with a thick intercooler, this is not the case with our intercooler on the 335i!
This is good to know, and thanks.
Could you post your data logs that you recorded?

Appreciate 0
      01-11-2008, 03:08 PM   #42
Major
Rep

Quote:
This is good to know, and thanks.
Could you post your data logs that you recorded?
We didnt record coolant temp on the dyno, we did post the ait/rpm logs in our Intercooler thread.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2008, 03:43 PM   #43
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [8.00]
Quote:
We didnt record coolant temp on the dyno, we did post the ait/rpm logs in our Intercooler thread.
You just said that your data logger shows coolant temps, so can't you take a screen shot or record the coolant temps for us to see them?
If so, please provide what mods are on the car, how long the car has been running, and also the exterior temp at the time.

Appreciate 0
      01-11-2008, 03:45 PM   #44
Helix Wildebeest
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 Mini TurboKompressor

Quote:
Actually I did on a few of the runs and it didn't budge from 213*F. This is probably due to the thermostat.
Appreciate 0